7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 8:59 AM by Elmar Klammer

Is there some way to have the item numbers for parts from a top level BOM remain constant throughout a print package with sub assemblies?

Otis Clapp

I would like to be able to have a top level BOM with all of the parts listed out for an assembly made up of both parts and sub assemblies and then have the item number remain constant through out the print package.  For instance if I am in a sub assembly I would like all of the parts in that sub assembly keep whatever their item number was from the top level view.  The idea being that if you run across a part with a BOM #1 anywhere in the print set it will be the same part.  I did some poking around google, but I didn't see anything that seemed to be what I was looking for.

Is there anyway to do this?

• Re: Is there some way to have the item numbers for parts from a top level BOM remain constant throughout a print package with sub assemblies?
          Alex Lachance

I had a similar question a little while ago.

Indented BOM (Sortof?)

After that, I spoke with a few forum users and a consulting firm who suggested I use the part number rather then the balloon number to identify my part, which to me made sense when I thought of it a little further. Why use a balloon number that could change at any time, whether it be intentional or not when you could use the part number instead to identify it.

The reason in your case is probably the same as ours. You've got parts that are alot smaller then others, the pens you use to identify them writes too thick and you end up lacking space to write all the info you want and you wouldn't have that problem if you used balloon numbers.

One thing I was suggested but that we didn't implement because we are too small is the labeling of parts. Have stickers be put on them with all the info on the sticker. Saves the writing time, just need to find a sticker that can stick to most surfaces.

• Re: Is there some way to have the item numbers for parts from a top level BOM remain constant throughout a print package with sub assemblies?
            Andreas Rhomberg

have you selected the View in Sheet Properties?

typically I select the same View used for the BOM

Don Carter

Otis Clapp wrote:

I would like to be able to have a top level BOM with all of the parts listed out for an assembly made up of both parts and sub assemblies and then have the item number remain constant through out the print package. For instance if I am in a sub assembly I would like all of the parts in that sub assembly keep whatever their item number was from the top level view. The idea being that if you run across a part with a BOM #1 anywhere in the print set it will be the same part. I did some poking around google, but I didn't see anything that seemed to be what I was looking for.

Is there anyway to do this?

Otis,

Are you familiar with the two switches "Follow assembly order" and "Follow sub-assembly order" ?

They are in the Bill of Materials Property Manager:

As implied, your assemblies must be constructed in the order that you want your BOM to display them.

If that's something you can live with, giive this a try.

My company uses Indented BOMs on Top Level Assemblies which are eventually exported to Excel.  The drawing BOM and the Excel BOM must match at every assemly level - starting with balloons - and this method makes this happen.  Weldment Cut-lists displayed as a BOM do not sort well.  We have an SPR submitted for that.  Top Level BOMs have the same switches.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Otis,

It can be done but you need to understand the limitiations. Biggest caveat is computer horse power. You need a capable mid-top range computer with increasing project size, number of drawings & complexity of drawing views. No way around this one. You will need two macros. One traverse BOM table and open all listed components & parts drawing & copy drawing sheet to open GA drawing. And another one to link all drawing views to a specific BOM. Information for all can be found in this forum. Then you need to add a single balloon to your parts & subassembly drawing. Just a regular dummy balloon.

Let's assume all of your detailed drawing package is already finished. Open the assembly that you want to issue out.

I would save that GA assembly drawing to a unique name that ID's the project say 181234-GA.

Now run the first macro. It will find and open all drawings related to your GA assembly and copies each part or sub-asm drawing sheet into the 181234-GA. That gives you a multi-page drawing complete with all related detail drawings.

The next step is easier. Use the 2nd macro to link all drawing views to one BOM.

Now you are pretty much done. Save the 181234-GA drawing. Export out your BOM, export out your drawing sheets to pdf and print.

Now you have an item balloon on each drawing sheet that references back to the GA BOM. This works with parts, assemblies & weldment bodies. The balloon will update to linked BOM.

I could go into more detail but this would be outside the scope of this thread.

Elmar

Addendum 1:

To get around the large file issue that comes with large packages I would suggest you go a different route. Traverse through the BOM and read the corresponding Index number into a variable. Then open the drawing and transfer the Index number to a note on the drawing sheet. I would prefix the Note with your the ID 181234 for the note to read i.e. 181234-1.1 (1.1 being the index number).That way you avoid mixing up parts that are shared by another project. You can transfer the note text directly or use a note linked to drawing property. In this case all you need to do is update that custom property via the macro.

Once the note is updated, simply export to pdf or any other of your required formats. Don't save & cloce the drawing itself. That way you can use your drawing for any project package.

Addendum 2:

Option 1 requires good document control and drawing practice. That's why I would choose the original linke balloon solutions. For large packages I would simply export out the BOM to Excel. Then I would block sequence the process to copy drawing sheets to the GA drawing. Add a block of 10 component drawing sheets, then export out to dxf, pdf or so. Next delete the added sheets and go through the next 10 items in the BOM. Repeat until all BOM items have been processed.

That is easier for the computer to handle. If you crash, you only loose a batch of 10 instead of all. And the linked balloon makes sure, that all balloon text is 100% identical to the BOM as long as SW hasn't snug in some issues.

If you wanted to keep the drawing package for whatever reason, You can incrementally save the main GA drawing say 181234-GA-10, 181234-GA-20 ... and so on.

I would only do that for application where I work with closed projects, where a given product is built as is and closed when completed.