10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 10:44 AM by Jacob Corder

Making a Exposed COM DLL Macro Feature

Cody Kirsch

I am trying to create a macro feature a using VB.NET addin and am not having much luck. I have tried both the COM callbacks and .NET add-In callbacks methods described here as well as using some examples I found poking around the form. I am very familiar with making macro features as a VBA macro so I'm guessing there is something that I am unaware of when using .net so hopefully this is easy question.

The code below is just what i have been using to just try and get a feature inserted so there shouldn't be anything else causing an issue. I have the following module and class in separate .vb files in a project called MyProject, which is also the Start Up Project in a Solution. I have actually tried using InsertMacroFeature3 from an addin but know luck with that either.

In MyModule.vb

Imports SolidWorks.Interop.sldworks

Imports SolidWorks.Interop.swconst

Public Module MyModule

Public Sub Main()

Dim _app As SldWorks = GetObject(, "SldWorks.Application")

Dim _model As ModelDoc2 = _app.ActiveDoc

Dim FeatMgr As FeatureManager = _model.FeatureManager

Dim feat As Feature = FeatMgr.InsertMacroFeature3("TestFeature", "MyProject.MacroFeatureClass", Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, swMacroFeatureOptions_e.swMacroFeatureByDefault)

If feat Is Nothing Then MsgBox("Macro Feature Failure")

End Sub

End Module

In MacroFeatureClass.vb

Imports SolidWorks.Interop.swpublished

<ComClass(MacroFeatureClass.ClassId, MacroFeatureClass.InterfaceId, MacroFeatureClass.EventsId)>

Public Class MacroFeatureClass

Implements ISwComFeature

Public Const ClassId As String = "1FEC45A4-8300-4FD2-AFC4-ED4952A6F4F5"

Public Const InterfaceId As String = "19DEA4FB-46F6-445D-B996-39BACD9B70CA"

Public Const EventsId As String = "8AF8B870-7455-431C-B5F2-718CCCA1607C"

Public Sub New()

MyBase.New()

End Sub

Public Function Rebuild(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Regenerate

Return True

End Function

Public Function Edit(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Edit

Return True

End Function

Public Function Security(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Security

Return swMacroFeatureSecurityOptions_e.swMacroFeatureSecurityByDefault

End Function

End Class

• Re: Making a Exposed COM DLL Macro Feature
          Jacob Corder

another way to test it.

write this

Dim MyCServer as object = CreateObject("MyProject.MacroFeatureClass")

if this works and mycserver is not nothing then your registry values should be good enough for solidworks to find your DLL.

Artem Taturevych

Did you run regasm utility with /tlb flag on your macro feature dll?

Jacob Corder

YAY Another person who wants to go nuts.

ok to start. i would suggest making a separate project for the MacroFeature COMServer.  basically it should have all of the code in it to execute the regeneration. i do make mine get my addin and communicate to the addin during regeneration. so i violate my own rule.

is the namespace of MacroFeatureClass myproject? if not then it needs to be as you are telling it that you want it to regenerate in namespace MyProject Class MacroFeatureClass.

macrofeatureClass needs to have registry keys in HKCR\CLSID\{1FEC45A4-8300-4FD2-AFC4-ED4952A6F4F5}\InProcServer32\CodeBase

Value should be file:///PathToYourDLL

(Default) should be MSCOREE.DLL

verify that these keys exist. i assume that they will because it is a COM Class

weird that this was moved to a new topic.  

Cody Kirsch

Not sure if I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has lost it trying to get this to work or disappointed that its not as simple as it is in VBA. Good thing I went nuts making macros long ago!

Anyway, not sure why it didn't occur to me before but i didn't have the dll registered so that is probably my issue.

This method seems like it might make it difficult to work out the bugs though. If its a registered dll I cant make changes to the dll without having to close SolidWorks once there is a macro feature in a part right? If so the .NET add-in callbacks method seems better for testing. But I am also unable to get that to work either using basically the same code but not using a COM Class. I get that the feature would have to be deleted and reinserted for changes to be applied but this is preferable to closing and reopening SolidWorks every time.

Jacob Corder

not true.  i use visual studio 2017 and as long as you DO NOT embed interop Types, you can edit live code while running it.  you have to launch solidworks through the play button(Debug) in visual studio. then you can edit, it will recompile and continue on. its quite nice and i dont know when the capability became possible.  i only recently descovered it.

you cannot have Enable Optimizations set in Advanced Compile Options either.

i add macrofeatures, edit the comserver, then add more,  edit some more.

also the COM Server DOES NOT embed in the feature.  you can change the COM Server and the rebuild will behave as told to by the new comserver.

i can update my com server to add new functionality, and every feature will obey these rules as it is not embedded.  one place to modify the code.

it is howerver suggested i believe that different types of macrofeatures use a different comserver, or a different class in the COMServer project.

like MyComServer.ThisFeature or

MyCOMServer.ThatFeature or

MYCOMServer.OtherFeature.

i do not do this, i set a parameter in each feature that tells my comserver what the feature is. it enables my features to adapt and become any other type of feature.

here is something that is created by my comserver. every feature is a macrofeature.

you can even redeploy your comserver and the rebuild will obey the new DLL File.  (read up on strong name versioning in the api help also)

Cody Kirsch

Got it! Thanks for all the info Jacob!

After rereading the ISwComFeature info on the API help page I saw that I didn't have the COM class visible so was just missing <System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComVisibleAttribute(True)> when declaring the class.

it is howerver suggested i believe that different types of macrofeatures use a different comserver, or a different class in the COMServer project.

like MyComServer.ThisFeature or

MyCOMServer.ThatFeature or

MYCOMServer.OtherFeature.

i do not do this, i set a parameter in each feature that tells my comserver what the feature is. it enables my features to adapt and become any other type of feature.

I thought of doing this as well. The only advantage I can think of to this approach is reducing the redundant Rebuild and Edit functions in feature classes as I just pass the feature object from these callbacks to the classes that handle the edit and rebuild anyway so all those function are essentially going to be the same. Have you found any other advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way?

Working Code:

MacroFeatureClass-

Imports SolidWorks.Interop.swpublished

<System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComVisibleAttribute(True)>

<ComClass(MacroFeatureClass.ClassId, MacroFeatureClass.InterfaceId, MacroFeatureClass.EventsId)>

Public Class MacroFeatureClass

Implements ISwComFeature

Public Const ClassId As String = "1FEC45A4-8300-4FD2-AFC4-ED4952A6F4F5"

Public Const InterfaceId As String = "19DEA4FB-46F6-445D-B996-39BACD9B70CA"

Public Const EventsId As String = "8AF8B870-7455-431C-B5F2-718CCCA1607C"

Public Sub New()

MyBase.New()

End Sub

Function Rebuild(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Regenerate

Return True

End Function

Function Edit(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Edit

Return True

End Function

Function Security(ByVal app As Object, ByVal model As Object, ByVal feat As Object) As Object Implements ISwComFeature.Security

Return swMacroFeatureSecurityOptions_e.swMacroFeatureSecurityByDefault

End Function

End Class

Inserting Example Modual

Public Module MyModule

Public Sub Main()

Dim app As SldWorks = GetObject(, "SldWorks.Application")

Dim _model As ModelDoc2 = app.ActiveDoc

Dim FeatMgr As FeatureManager = _model.FeatureManager

Dim feat As Feature = FeatMgr.InsertMacroFeature3("TestFeature", "MyProject.MacroFeatureClass",

Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, swMacroFeatureOptions_e.swMacroFeatureByDefault)

End Sub

End Module

Jacob Corder

I thought of doing this as well. The only advantage I can think of to this approach is reducing the redundant Rebuild and Edit functions in feature classes as I just pass the feature object from these callbacks to the classes that handle the edit and rebuild anyway so all those function are essentially going to be the same. Have you found any other advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way?

i never found a reason to do this. mainly because i like all of my code in one spot and to be able to reuse code alot.

you can always reset the program id to something else later if you want.  just keep it in one project like i do.

Actually solidworks dLL SLDFUNCFEAT.DLL is their comserver for a few of their internal macrofeatures.

Got it! Thanks for all the info Jacob!

After rereading the ISwComFeature info on the API help page I saw that I didn't have the COM class visible so was just missing <System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComVisibleAttribute(True)> when declaring the class.

i saw that but i assumed your project was set to COMVisible. i actually dont have COMVisible in my class now that i look at it.  my comserver project has it. it must inherit from the project? hmmm. in my defense, I'm not a programmer.

read this also

2018 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Macro Features and Strong Name Versioning

at the bottom, if you add the registry key to the solidworks version you are running it will help sw find your comserver a little faster i think.  it does check this registry key i am certain.

I am not sure this is exactly what to do, but i do add this registry key like below, actually my comserver does this at runtime.

HCLM/SOFTWARE/SOLIDWORKS/SOLIDWORKS XXXX/MacroFeatures/SldFuncFeat.LipGrooveFeature/CurVer  = "MyProject.MacroFeatureClass" ( No need for strong name versioning if you dont

want)HCLM/SOFTWARE/SOLIDWORKS/SOLIDWORKS 2015/MacroFeatures/SldFuncFeat.LipGrooveFeature/CurVer = "MyProject.MacroFeatureClass"

Cody Kirsch

Alright, so I have the macro feature inserting reliably now! Just to help others out, I was having a problem with the MacroFeatureClass being in its own project. I had to add a reference to MyProject in main add in so the DLL would get made, but that gave me a circular reference so I just put MacroFeatureClass under its own namespace in the main addin. But now there is another issue, it will not create a feature if the ParamNames, ParamTypes, and ParamValues parameters are anything but empty arrays of long/strings. I know that InsertMacroFeature3 will fail if all the lengths are not the same and the data types don't match up with the values but I cant even get one parameter value to work. Is there anything different from how InsertMacroFeature3 works from a VBA version besides the callbacks?

Jacob Corder

be careful with adding Class after any class because thats actually a thing in COM.  like a in the solidworks DLLs, Face2 also has a Face2Class which i believe is the non interface portion

sorry i didnt notice that before

Jacob Corder

Dim BaseName as string = "YOURBASENAME"

Dim ParamNames(1) As String

Dim ParamVals(1) As String

Dim ParamTypes(1) As Integer

Dim IconFiles(2) As String

Dim NameObj As Object = Nothing

Dim TypesObj As Object = Nothing

Dim ValsObj As Object = Nothing

Dim DimTypes As Object = Nothing

Dim DimVals As Object = Nothing

Dim opts As Integer = swMacroFeatureOptions_e.swMacroFeatureAlwaysAtEnd

ParamNames(0) = JEMFeatures.CFeatureType

ParamNames(1) = JEMFeatures.CFeatureVersion

ParamVals(0) = MacroFeatureType_e.Appearance

ParamVals(1) = VersionAppearanceFeature

ParamTypes(0) = swMacroFeatureParamType_e.swMacroFeatureParamTypeInteger

ParamTypes(1) = swMacroFeatureParamType_e.swMacroFeatureParamTypeInteger

TypesObj = ParamTypes

NameObj = ParamNames

ValsObj = ParamVals

Dim ProgID As String = "COMSERVERNAMESPACE.COMSERVERCLASS"

IconFiles(0) = "SOMETHING"

IconFiles(1) = "SOMETHING"

IconFiles(2) = "SOMETHING"

FeatMgr.InsertMacroFeature3(BaseName, ProgID , Nothing, (NameObj), (TypesObj), (ValsObj), DimTypes, DimVals, Nothing, IconFiles, opts)

you need to set the names types and vals as objects after the array has been set.