2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 2:01 PM by Eric Anderson

Save bodies from a virtual multibody part into a virtual assembly - SW2018

Eric Anderson

Is it possible to use save bodies (or some other method) to save the bodies of a multi-body virtual part into a virtual sub-assembly contained in the same parent assembly? I know I can save the bodies into part and assembly files that would be external to the parent assembly, then bring that assembly into the parent assembly, but that means I'm creating files outside of the parent assembly, which is what I'm trying to avoid. The reason for starting with a multi-body part instead of making individual virtual parts in a virtual sub-assembly, is that I need to register a custom appearance to the parts as a group before they get assembled together and there is some discrepancy in the mapping if I don't do it this way (I tried). The idea is to have all of the information in the parent assembly file, since it will be used as a kind of design tool for multiple products - I'd rather not be generating a bunch of folder structures(with multiple part and assembly files) for each different version or iteration every time I make a change.

• Re: Save bodies from a virtual multibody part into a virtual assembly - SW2018
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I kind of doubt it.  Do you mind if I ask why you're wanting to save the individual bodies out as separate virtual Parts?

• Re: Save bodies from a virtual multibody part into a virtual assembly - SW2018
              Eric Anderson

I need the applied appearance to stay registered to the geometry when I move the components into position. I have found that if I do save bodies to individual parts with propagate visual properties checked the model behaves the way I would expect. If I just move the bodies in the multi-body part, the appearance doesn't stay registered to the geometry, which is a problem for my application. Imagine you have a wood board and you are cutting pieces out of the wood and you want the figure in the wood to stay with the pieces that are cut from the sheet. The appearance is registered to the uncut board and the position of the cuts to make the pieces determines what portion of the appearance is on that particular part.

I know it works for non-virtual parts, but I'm trying to do it with virtual parts so I'm not generating a bunch of part files every time I make a new design.