14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 7:42 AM by Ari Arponen

Zoom to fit includes origo

Ari Arponen

Is there a way to make "zoom to fit" ignore origo? I usually model my parts to assembly, which origo is far away. So the parts origo is there too, so now when I make s sketch and hit F button it zooms it so far that it includes origo too. And it is not good.

• Re: Zoom to fit includes origo
          Paul Salvador

Hello Ari,.. I would guess this maybe because of some type of entity at or near the origin for this to happen?..

I just tested moving bodies (<100mm cubed)  499 meters away from the origin,.. and zoom fit works as expected (origin excluded).

Ari Arponen

So there is no way to just "zoom to current sketch" with shortcut button?

Tony Cantrell

There is a reference to the origin, thats why it is included

Ari Arponen

Looks like it. I dont know why but this started to bug me after updating to 2018 .

Paul Salvador

Ari,.. curious,.. do you or have you inserted "Sketch Pictures"  (Tools/Sketch Tools/Sketch Pictures) in the files you are having problems doing a zoom fit?

.. because, I've experienced a problem when I scale or delete the Sketch Picture (when the "Enable scale tool" was checked on..,  after deleting.. the zoom fit area is messed up.. as if, the Sketch Picture is still present (it's not)?

Anyhow... my work around, is NEVER delete or scale the Sketch Picture when the "Enable scale tool" is On!... (uncheck and then delete/scale) 

Jim Moses

Hi,

I know if you have origins visible and you zoom to fit, it will zoom to include it, same goes for anything else you have shown, if its hidden it should ignore and only show the relevant geometry/bodies/surfaces/sketches, etc..

I use to work on planes and it would suck doing a small detail on the back of a 737 (as they wanted everything with the same origin, the nose of the plane) and zoom out and loose the item or sketch like you said.

Good Luck,

Ari Arponen

SW_origin.png

well here's a good example. Assembly origin is in far right, part origin is closer to assembly. When I edit that Part16 sketch and hit the "F" button, it zooms so far that assembly origin will show (Origins are hided). But when I close the sketch and hit "F" it zooms so the assembly is fitted into screen.

And if i make a new sketch into that part, as long as the sketch is empty it zooms fine but when I add a line and zoom, it zoom so the assembly origin comes visible.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Ari,

This is a virtual part. So my guess it has something to do with it since virtual parts are essential in written into the assembly file code.

Just add a new view from the view palette and use that instead.

Elmar

Jim Wilkinson

Ari Arponen wrote:

SW_origin.png

well here's a good example. Assembly origin is in far right, part origin is closer to assembly. When I edit that Part16 sketch and hit the "F" button, it zooms so far that assembly origin will show (Origins are hided). But when I close the sketch and hit "F" it zooms so the assembly is fitted into screen.

And if i make a new sketch into that part, as long as the sketch is empty it zooms fine but when I add a line and zoom, it zoom so the assembly origin comes visible.

Hi Ari,

I just tried this out in a new assembly with a virtual part and can not reproduce it. So, there has to be something specific about your data or the workflow that is introducing something that is causing this.

Earlier, I suggested the following.

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

As Paul and Dennis said earlier, it should not include the origin unless you have some other geometry turned on/visible there (like the planes for instance). Test it out by creating a new part, making some sort of sketch geometry not near the origin, and then do a zoom to fit and you should see that it only zooms on the geometry and does not include the origin. If that works OK, you need to investigate what else is visible in your sketch/model in question causing it to also zoom the origin. If you can't figure it out, you'll need to either post the model here for someone to look at or contact your reseller for help.

Did you try any of this? As I said earlier, since this is not reproducible without your data, you are either going to have to post your data or contact your reseller for help.

Thanks,
                            Jim