11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 4:18 PM by Ricardo Talbot

Can anybody recommend an ERP that fully integrates with Solidworks?

Peter Anthony

Hi Guys,

The company I am currently working for is trying to drive efficiencies between our design office and other downstream areas of the business (design -> procurement -> stores/inventory -> manufacturing).

We are looking at potentially migrating to a fully fledged ERP system in order to achieve this - and I would like to hear from anybody who has had experience with Solidworks integration with ERPs.

Does anybody have any success stories they can share?

Ideally we are looking for an ERP that will act as a vault and read solidworks data attributes when files and assemblies are checked in. Something that can handle engineering changes and revisions, BOM updates etc.

A long time ago a previous employer of mine utilized SAP in their business to do this - I cant remember what version of SAP it was!? Can anybody shed some light on this topic??

Thanks!

• Re: Can anybody recommend an ERP that fully integrates with Solidworks?
          Ulf Stockburger

Hi Peter

In 2014, I developed a bidirectional interface that's responsible for the automatic synchronisation between SAP Business One and SolidWorks Enterprise PDM. It's customisable individually and increases efficiency significantly. The interface works fast, reliable and secure. More information about the specification and the current development status can be found on my website.

BiI SAP-PDM

Andrew Schutte

Peter,

I come from a SOLIDWORKS focused solution machine build background (automotive, office furniture, food and beverage, etc.) and struggled with the same challenge you cited, managing SOLIDWORKS data in conjunction with manufacturing, purchasing, inventory, etc.

Many years ago (2011) I was provide the opportunity to develop the SOLIDWORKS integrated software I've always wanted. The company is Smooth Logics, the product is COUNTERPART. We offer a full ERP solution with true, bi-directional integration with SOLIDWORKS, read-only file retrieval from PDM, data-sync with QuickBooks, and Microsoft office interactions.

We have customers in the Michigan/Ohio area and west cost, if you would like to setup a webinar demo and be provide some references or success stories I would be more than happy to accommodate.

You can contact me here, or directly via:
            aschutte@smoothlogics.com616-886-1523

Thanks!

Terry Raymond

We integrated SW/PDM with Epicor. OOTB Cadlink (interface module between Solidworks/PDM and Epicor) is now pretty good and worth looking at.

Couple notes-

If you use Weldments and want detailed weldment member info, you need to pull that info out of Solidworks directly.  PDM does not have a working API for Weldments.  There is a big thread on this.  5 years ago, NO known OOTB solution handled weldments, and we worked with Cadlink to get that interface working.  Other software packages may have caught up since then.

Many people like to tout bidirectional as a selling point, but we don't use that as it could result in very bad things.  I don't want people working in Epicor making changes to engineered, released parts and having those push back into models & affecting our drawings.

Good luck!

Andrew Schutte

Terry,

Per your comment:

Many people like to tout bidirectional as a selling point, but we don't use that as it could result in very bad things. I don't want people working in Epicor making changes to engineered, released parts and having those push back into models & affecting our drawings.

You are correct that making a change in an ERP system that has the power to affect any SOLIDWORKS data (properties, revisions, BOMs, etc.) would not be desired. While I can't speak for the other software out there that integrates, COUNTERPART specifically only enables changes to SOLIDWORKS data while working inside the COUNTERPART SOLIDWORKS Add-In. Meaning you need to have SOLIDWORKS, ownership of the file, and the COUNTERPART Add-in to make any changes that affect SOLIDWORKS data.

any other data that's modified is non-SOLIDWORKS specific data (inventory, vendors, purchasing costs, etc.) and does not push back into the SOLIDWORKS files.

If you would like more information, feel free to reply here or contact me directly.

aschutte@smoothlogics.com

616-886-1523

Thanks!

Alex Lachance

Hey Peter,

We're a trailer manufacturing company. The E.R.P. we use is called Prextra and it communicates with SolidWorks. To facilitate the communication we use a 3rd party addon named CustomTools that helps generate our properties but I'm sure you could use Prextra and mix it with another solution such as PDM or macros and whatnot.

Ryan McVay

Peter Anthony The first real questions should be this:

1) Do you have a budget defined for this project?

2) Do you have executive buy-in?

The answer to those two questions will really help those on this board help you out. You aren't going the route of SAP without a very hefty budget ($550K-2M), a lot of consulting dollars and corporate buy-in from the very top.

If you are looking at smaller installations then you really need to identify what you require from the ERP system- because this is the main system for the business- and then identify what tools can be used to connect your engineering systems. In most cases, this will be a custom tool because I've yet to find two companies that setup their ERP system the same way!

Andrew Schutte

Ryan,

Your advise is correct and ERP implementations die without the top stakeholders in the company backing it.

You are also correct that I've never seen two companies setup their ERP systems the same, however that does not 100% require custom code or tools. We have implanted COUNTERPART (our ERP solution with direct SOLIDWORKS integration) at various industries (from medical, to confectionary arts, to power distribution and automotive) all with the same program/core code, and accommodated the variance in company operation with the right settings configuration. Contrary to the SAP's of the world, COUNTERPART is very flexible in setup and work-flow, adapting to the business, not forcing the business to adapt to the ERP system.

It's very similar to SOLIDWORKS or PDM. No two companies use the same part numbering schema, templates, permissions, tool-bar layout, etc. but they are all running the same install, same code, just customized within the software to their specific needs.

As always, if there's anything I can help with or you would like more information, feel free to reply here or contact me directly.

aschutte@smoothlogics.com

616-886-1523

Thanks!

S. Casale

If you really want a program that works in the way that you are asking, look into ENOVIA™ PLM Software by Dassault Systèmes® . After all, it is a 3Ds product.

Ricardo Talbot

Peter,

You may also want to take a look at this solution, which can be used for virtually any ERP system, yet offers the interesting benefit of being entirely customer-configurable.

Hope this helps,

Ricardo Talbot

Elmo Solutions Inc.