29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 6:40 AM by Mário Neto

Drawing Layout

Mário Neto

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do a detail drawing of a layout, but everytime i try to use a depth section view the result "hides" some parts. I'll attach some pictures to help the understanding.

• Re: Drawing Layout
          Igor Fomenko

Increase the depth a little bit

Mário Neto

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I've tried that but it just won't show the lower parts of the layout, just showing the roofDepth Increase.png

Igor Fomenko

Did you receive the error message that SW can`t do section properly?

Check section scope tab

Mário Neto

When i tried to change it from partial to full section i got this error, but the fun thing is that this part is actually the "floor" of my layout which is not what is hidden in the section.

Igor Fomenko

To speed up of search of problem bodies you can use section tool in assembly (not in drawing).

Mário Neto

I just don't get what you mean. I don't believe the error is in my assembly, i think there's something about the drawing. I can show everything in the section perfectly, but when i try to use the depth it just hides everything lower than the roof

Showing everything, even lower than the roof

When i try to use the depth function it just hides everything. Even though it clearly should be showing as you can see in the depth line.

Igor Fomenko

Have you solved problem with error message?

Elmar Klammer

Hi Mario,

Your question is more about how to detail structural buildings. Not so much SW. Anyways.

This is a large layout. You will need to add grid references or no-one will be able to work efficiently with your drawings. Not sure if you have experience with build suite layout and field work.

In case you want to stick with your approach, then I would suggest you first align your views. It seems like you are connecting two buildings that are at some angle to each other. Align the top first since the connecting bridge is parallel. Then I would go back into your assembly and add a plan view sketch. Add the section lines in there. The top brown is vertical, the bottom brown is parallel to the lower building. That way you get true projections that can be read easily. Anything else is a nightmare to dimension & use in the field. Make the asm sketch visible and convert the brown sketch line into the drawing. Select your depth by clicking a point on the green asm sketch line. Now you can control sections in the asm itself. Aligning the view will minimize the issue of singularities that might cause SW to error out. Try this and see if it works.

All in all I would recommend you reconsider your approach to detailing like that. You will get a lot of questions and have a hard time building according to your drawings, not to mention checking your dimensions. Check out some structural drawing samples on google to get an idea of industry standard. Bear in mind people need to be able to read the paper drawing. Orientation of views should be such that the user can look at a view in such way that it represents the physical position best. In your case section view itself should be rotated to sit horizontal just like your bridge does.

Elmar

Mário Neto

Hi Elmar, thank you for your answer.

That's exactly what i was trying to explain earlier, the buildings weren't built aligned. that's why my drawings aren't aligned too. I have to represent exactly what they already have in order to show how what we are making is making sense. As for the dimensions, we drew it exactly like the Civil 2d plant we received.

Igor Fomenko

Try to make full section instead of partial section

Hitendra Chaudhari

Try to Flip the section in drawing

Mário Neto

I can't do that, since the information i need to show is only viewable in that side of the section

Hitendra Chaudhari

Do not use depth feature in section.  It slices out the section.

Create new plane or line in drawing > then project section view

See in image: section-B at depth hides the background lines.  whereas section-C is new drawn at location is perfect.

Mário Neto

The thing is that i'm not trying to show a section of a part, i'm trying to show just a section from a very big layout. There's lots of equipments there, and i'm trying to show how only one line of them looks, therefore i need the section with depth, otherwise it will show my whole layout which is not alligned and will look very messy (The two locations we have to show aren't alligned).

Hitendra Chaudhari

you can Edit the Section line Sketch to align with any of the parts in assembly. then it will look clean.

The ex. part in image shows the depth section will slice the view so you will not be able to see anything behind section line.

notice the added extrusion in image