3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 10:31 AM by Jacob Corder

Finding Coincident Faces

Swme Eng

Can some one explain the root point of planar surface to me? I have a macro that tries to find faces coincident to a pre-selected face while in an assembly, and while my testing for planar surfaces that are parallel works, I would like to further limit the faces to ones that are co-planar to within some tolerance. I apply the  transform to the root point of one of the planar faces, and it ends up catching faces that are not coincident within the tolerance. I was reading through the Transform2 help page and noticed that this creates the transform relative to the root component, does that mean that mean if the pre-selected face is not the root component then it neeeds to be transformed as well?

Any insight on this process or potential workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Finding Coincident Faces
          Jacob Corder

Ok think of a vector with a start point.

It's start point is x y z. It goes in a direction of a b c

So start point is 0,0,0 (at origin)

Direction is 1,0,0 which means it's only in the x direction. So pointing away from the origin in the +x axis.

Direction is normalized which means it's length is 1 or -1. Not relevant here but good to know.

Root point is 0,0,0 and direction is something. What you visibly see about a plane in solidworks is irrelevant also. A plane doesn't have outer bounds.

So a plane is actually all points in space that is perpendicular to the axis at the root point.

Swme Eng

Jacob,

I was more wondering about items 3,4,5 of the variant array returned by Surface.PlaneParams. It seems to me that it grabs an arbitrary point on the plane, and I was trying to understand how it determines that point.

Jacob Corder

its determined by how it was created i would assume.

front right top views would have 0,0,0 probably

anything referencing geometry would inherit the point parameters from that.  and i would bet that they are probably the closest point to origin but i am probably wrong.

so if you wanted to know. create a bunch of planes and debug.print the root point to find out.