1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2018 5:34 PM by Tom Gagnon

How to transfer holes from one part to another in an assembly?

Julian Herrera

Hey everyone!

I've spent way too much time trying to add holes to two different parts trying to get them to match but nothing seems to work. I think the problem is the two parts are curved surfaces, therefore lining up the holes hasn't been working for me.

I've heard about using Hole Series but this won't work for me as it won't allow me to choose holes that already exist. I'm attaching both parts and the assembly.

I basically just want to start over with the holes; I'd like to redefine/redraw the holes on the top part (the PatchRestart file), put the two parts together in the assembly, and somehow just transfer the holes of the top part to the bottom part; that way I can avoid making holes for each part and worrying about the positioning, which is what I've tried working on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(on the assembly, you can drag the lighter top part so you can see the holes if you need to)

• Re: How to transfer holes from one part to another in an assembly?
          Tom Gagnon

You can do this several ways. YMMV in stability, efficiency, and adaptability. I did not examine your uploaded assembly.

In Skeleton Sketch Part method, you can create your hole sketch in the SSP and apply it equally to both other components.

In contextual part method, you can Convert Entities of the first hole sketch into the sketch of the second set of holes. This surely requires body alignment to work out right.

In assembly feature method, you can place and define both components, then create an Assembly Feature of Extruded Cut which applies to those multiple components (in scope). Using options in the Assembly Feature, you can perpetuate the changes into the components themselves. This may be simplest to achieve, but to me it seems least stable with other changes.