13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 1:02 PM by Matt Peneguy

What capabilities will not be available in EAA Solidworks?

Dan Mechuta

I am about to join the EAA and one benefit is the "personal-use version" of Solidworks. What will this version not do that a purchased version from a VAR be able to do?

Basically, what are the differences / limitations, etc.

Can other Solidworks software (CAM) or other CAM software work with this version? i.e. BoBCAM for Solidworks?

Dan

• Re: What capabilities will not be available in EAA Solidworks?
          Dan Mechuta

Did I ask a question that is not supposed to be asked or is there not anyone out there that has an answer?

Tom Gagnon

You get the Student Edition license version. EAA is treated like a university organization for that purpose. I think it was announced two Oshkosh ago.

See Student Edition | Students | SOLIDWORKS

This version contains the capabilities of Solidworks Standard as listed at 3D CAD Matrix | Products | SOLIDWORKS

Commercial and institutional use is prohibited.

This means that anything you produce will be student-stamped and unsuitable for use in a professional task. Any drawing that contains these components will bear a watermark such as "not for professional use".

Francisco Martínez

Must google first , here is what I found

"The industry standard for CAD software—used by aircraft and kit manufacturers from Cirrus to Zenith—is SOLIDWORKS. EAA has received a generous offer from SOLIDWORKS to make a personal-use version of the software available to EAA members at no charge"

SOLIDWORKS Resource Center | EAA

Dan Mechuta

Thank you all for the response. Just wanted to make sure that if I am going to spend the time learning SW, that it would allow me to someday upgrade to a professional version having already understanding the software. I am a hobbyist and a Scale RC build enthusiast. I ant to build my own CNC Router, Mill, and a 3D Printer.

Additionally, the company I work for has not moved into the 3D realm, but it will be necessary. If I were to become very proficient in this software, there is a good chance we will move to have our engineers use SW. We are also considering upgrading our fabrication machines to CNC. This is another reason we need to have a good 3D Cad and Cam software.

My personal use would not be for any production other than my own parts for my use. I am not one to violate rules, laws, etc. I am very impressed with Solidworks for providing this opportunity to learn a great software without spending a fortune.

Tom Gagnon

Skills are entirely transferable. Anything you've made in the Student version should not ever be introduced into a pro work environment. Additionally, I'd advise complete uninstall and install of higher license when you decide to upgrade. Also, even if you have already developed your skills, I highly recommend your company includes a training package for new user(s) with a newly purchased implementation so that you will get the most (return) out of the software without delays or inefficiencies (cost).

For your personal use of CNC and 3D printer, there is no watermark applied to those parts. That would be Riddikulus.

Matt Peneguy

I pretty much taught myself SW.  So, maybe I can give a little guidance from my experience.

• Youtube is dangerous until you know how to sort the good from the bad.  I'm not saying don't use it, but consider the source.  If you see videos put up by some of the top SW users on the forum or a VAR, more than likely it will be a good and correct video.  But, without good guidance you may pick up some bad habits.
                        • Some VARs have excellent information available online for free.  Javelin is one that really stands out. I really like my VAR, but they don't freely share information as much with people outside of their subscription base.
                        • The Bible books are indispensable.  Even though they are now old, the information in them is gold. The author posted he is now back on board and will be releasing at least the SW Bible.  I don't know if he is also planning on updating the SW Admin Bible, or the others.  Even though I now have 5 years of experience with SW, I'll probably buy the new edition.
                        • A tutorial book may be of some help to get you started at first.  If you go this route, make sure you get a current one.  SW adds new features and techniques rapidly.  Some of those won't be apparent unless the tutorial shows it.  And the old tutorials aren't going to have anything newer than when they were created. I haven't done a search, but if you search the forum and find one recommended by someone like J. Mather, it will be a good resource.
                        • I don't know if you can access the online my.solidworks.com videos (I think J. Mather posted that students have access).  But if you do, definitely go through the tutorials, there.  Those are created by the SW people and will teach you better and current methods you may not be able to learn through other resources.
                      Matt Peneguy

Tom,

You get a separate license number for your Home Use that registers with SW not your server.  You don't need to set up VPN or anything like that.  At least that's how I think it works.