5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 3:09 AM by Mats Lindqvist

Simple Deformation Study Not Solving - Large Displacement

Joshua Renz

I'm design a staking tool and I want to simulate the deformation on the piece being staked by the pins (red piece is being staked by the gray pins). I have simplified the model down to the screen shot below:

I tried to add roller/slider fixtures to the assembly but the deformation wasn't coming out how it would in reality ( on the sides of the pins as they will be reacting in a guide when design is complete). Any suggestions?

• Re: Simple Deformation Study Not Solving - Large Displacement
          Ryan Dark

Hi Joshua,

From the screen capture itself there do not appear to be enough restraints for your study to be stable.  The pins themselves appear capable of sliding in the plane of the face you have selected for their fixture (or prescribed displacement).  You note that there are guides on the sides of the pins; you will need to create some kind of fixture (perhaps an "On Cylindrical Face" on the pin cylindrical faces) to act as pin guides in your analysis.

• Re: Simple Deformation Study Not Solving - Large Displacement
            Mats Lindqvist

It could be I don't understand your problem correctly, but the model, loading etc. appears to be symmetrical about 2 planes. The first thing i would do, is cut the model into 1/4, and analyze that. Using symmetry constraints is also a good way of constraining the model in a realistic way.

If I understand the model correctly, the simulation involves plastic deformation(?) when the sharp tip is pressed against the ring. It is very difficult to model contact with a sharp tip, or corner being pressed into an opposing much larger surface. If this is the intent of the model, it will be easier to reach convergence if the sharp tip is instead modeled with a spherical surface, so as to get a more gentle increase in interpenetration and contact area, as the tip is pressed against the flat surface. The element size must be several times smaller than the area of the little sphere at the tip of the rod. I can see challenges here, creating a very fine mesh at the contact, involving plastic deformation. Depending on how far you want to push the rod into the flat surface, strains in a plastic contact can become large and then the elements might get very distorted. If this is the case, then I'm afraid solidworks simulation will not converge.

Also, in a nonlinear analyses like this, in my experience, it is easier to reach convergence if you enforce a displacement and measure the reaction force, instead of applying a force and measuring the displacement.