3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 11:44 AM by Ryan Dark

nitinol simulation elastic modulus

Jason Lindsey

Using Simulation, I am working on a nonlinear nitinol material model. I was under the impression that nitinol can have different Young's modulus associated with either the austenite or martensite formation of the material. However, SolidWorks Simulation only appears to have one input for the Elastic Modulus in the material properties. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the stress-strain profile so that there are different Young's modulus depending on whether the part is loading or unloading?

• Re: nitinol simulation elastic modulus
          Ryan Dark

Hi Jason,

Yes, Nitinol has different properties for loading and unloading.  All of these properties are encompassed in the properties you put in to define the inflection points of these loading and unloading curves.  You can get a lot more detail from this video (GoEngineer - Simulation - Nitinol Material Definition).

Jason Lindsey

Thanks, I've reviewed the video and I have my model set up similarly with empirically derived stresses for tensile and compressive loading. However, there is only one input for elastic modulus. For nitinol, the slope from the origin to point 1 in the image you posted should be the Austenitic young's modulus, and the slope from point 2 to point 3 should be the Martensitic young's modulus. We expect the martensitic young's modulus to be less stiff compared with the Austenitic. However, the nitinol material properties in Simulation only appear to allow for a single elastic modulus and not separate ones for Austenitic versus Martensitic. Is SolidWorks Simulation capable of allowing for a different young's modulus for a different part on the curve?

Ryan Dark

There are no inputs for inserting values of elastic modulus directly.  The program calculates the elastic modulus itself using the various inflection points.  You will have to either obtain these various yield stress values directly or back calculate what they should be if you have elastic modulus values instead of the inflection point yield stress values.