15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2018 9:51 PM by W. Snyder

SolidWorks World 2018 AttendeeHub APP

Bill Stadler

Is there any intention to sync our schedules with the SolidWorks World 2018 schedules?  I have made multiple changes over the last week or so and they are not reflected in the AttendeeHub APP.

• Re: SolidWorks World 2018 AttendeeHub APP
          Jeff Holliday

Yes - that's happened with mine also.

W. Snyder

I am having the same problem. I am going through and setting reminders in the app to at least keep track of my changes.

Bruce Goodell

I have the same issues. i exported my schedule luckily to my outlook so at least I have one. But I am having to modify it manually since the app doesn’t work.

Dennis Dohogne

I think the app sucqued!!  It should have had our most up-to-date schedule at the very least with an option to set reminders.  I wish it would have also had an interactive map of the convention center showing where you are now, where your next class is, and the best route to get there.  Now THAT would have been a useful app!

Rick McDonald

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

I think the app sucqued!! It should have had our most up-to-date schedule at the very least with an option to set reminders. I wish it would have also had an interactive map of the convention center showing where you are now, where your next class is, and the best route to get there. Now THAT would have been a useful app!

That's a great idea. If we only knew who makes the app . I don't know how we would find that out. Maybe Richard Doyle or Rachel York could find out and have them add that for next years app for SWW19 in Dallas. 

Jim Wilkinson

Rick McDonald wrote:

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

I think the app sucqued!! It should have had our most up-to-date schedule at the very least with an option to set reminders. I wish it would have also had an interactive map of the convention center showing where you are now, where your next class is, and the best route to get there. Now THAT would have been a useful app!

That's a great idea. If we only knew who makes the app . I don't know how we would find that out. Maybe Richard Doyle or Rachel York could find out and have them add that for next years app for SWW19 in Dallas.

Cool idea, but difficult to pull off. I looked into it a couple of years ago for navigating our offices in Waltham. But GPS does not work well indoors, and even if it does, it doesn't help with multi-floor spaces. You need a map of the space and some sort of mapping software that can do the navigation with all of the complexities of indoor spaces (including ramps, staircases, escalators, elevators, doors, etc.). Conference centers often have very complex floor layouts with ramps, various height floors, etc. so the mapping software would have to support all of that. You also need an indoor positioning system (IPS) to track where you are within the space. It looks like there are many companies online offering such technology, but I would guess it would be cost prohibitive to temporarily set up such a system for SOLIDWORKS World, if it could even be done temporarily. We would probably be dependent upon the conference center having such a system already setup. I'm sure that will be commonplace at venues eventually.

Thanks,

Jim

Dennis Dohogne

Killjoy! 

But seriously, thanks for providing the background as to why something that seems easy to us (since we don't have to do it) turns out not to be so easy after all.

Jim Wilkinson

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Killjoy!

But seriously, thanks for providing the background as to why something that seems easy to us (since we don't have to do it) turns out not to be so easy after all.

Yeah, I would love to have it both for SWW and our headquarters and I had put in a bunch of time researching it for the headquarters, so figured I'd share. We had a great intern a few years ago that created a nice web app that had a map of our entire office and you could search for a name of an employee and it showed you where their office was on the map. The natural extension was to do the mapping from your office to their office (even without position information), but even that was extremely difficult to achieve since the intern would have had to write his own navigation algorithms. The positioning information is a "nice to have" in an office environment since it would help keep you on track between your office and the other office instead of having to navigate the path it gave you based on looking for "landmarks" shown on the map along the way. However, I would think for such a mapping app to be useful in the conference center environment, the positioning information is a MUST HAVE since you might not even know how to specify where you are starting from.

And BTW...I have no idea why the agenda information was not updating; something for our conference planners to look into.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Adrian Velazquez wrote:

MapsIndoors - Indoor navigation with Google Maps - MapsPeople

Yup, just one of the many solutions available to do it. But, it is still dependent upon the indoor map being created (i don't find that online in Google Maps; only floor maps and not that detailed to even have room numbers) and an indoor positioning system.

Again, I have no doubt this will be "the norm" someday and I am sure it will likely just be a regular part of Google Maps eventually for venues with IPS'. Then it is a no-brainer for a conference app developer to tap into when making their app.

Thanks,
                                  Jim

Adrian Velazquez

Yes, just saying maybe this should be brought up with the venue holding SWW. Honestly, I don't believe you guys should be responsible for setting this up, but you could certainly could entice venue candidates into implementing it before a SWW.

Jeff Holliday

I think I would probably adopt a contrarian strategy if there were directional advice possible. If a couple of thousand people were being guided in a common direction I would like to be shown the least likely way. But then, others would find it and it would become the most traveled - it never ends. Not to mention the attendee-to-attendee crashes caused by many people looking at their phones instead of at others. This is getting scary .

Yes there were/are things that  could be improved but I think I could have gotten everywhere with just the program book alone.

None of us, including myself, are ever satisfied. Then again - that's why we are creative!

Adrian Velazquez

I think this has been in previews year apps for SWW, not $ure why they keep changing it around.

W. Snyder

The schedule update didn't work as planned. I had to go to the app help desk at SWW2018 and ask for them to manually push my schedule to me. The schedule was the one part of the app I liked. Hated that the app couldn't deliver on this one feature.