8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 11:49 PM by Ned Hutchinson

Tab and Slot

Steve Crompton

Hi

I use tabs and slot quite a lot, so I was quite looking forward to the new feature being built into Solidworks. However either I cant work out how to do what I want or the feature isnt capable of doing what I want.

It the tab and slot is on the extreme ends of a piece of sheet metal I want the end faces to end up coincident. However with the tab and slot feature the clearance seems to go right round the tab which means my part when being assembled could move in by the clearance Ive set. (see attached)

Am I missing something in the feature or is this something that will be implemented in the future?

Thanks

Steve

• Re: Tab and Slot
          Kevin Pymm

Steve,

I don't really use Tab and Slots but isn't that just a setting you can change? Check the option at the bottom of the following link & see if that helps.

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Tab and Slot PropertyManager

Dennis Bacon

No, I don't believe you are missing something Steve. This is something I talked to the development team at SWW2017 about while 2018 was still in alpha. I was surprised to see that it had not been implemented. Just seemed natural that you might want to be able to make the width and length clearance different. Also would have been nice to have the slot cut through the material if you make the distance from the top of the tab to the edge considerably smaller than the material thickness. Do slot and tab on curved edges would be nice also..

Slot and tab is a nice feature and certainly saves time. I suppose you could add that material in after doing the Tab and Slot and you are still saving some time but that should not be necessary in my opinion.

Steve Crompton

Hi Dennis

What a pity they didnt listen to you at the Alpha stage. Without that option its only half a feature imho.

Hopefully it will be impletmented soon.

Thanks

Steve

Dennis Bacon

I agree Steve.. Sort of pissed me off since they were taking notes and seemed to be on-board with the idea.

Steve Crompton

To me its the kind of thing that is an obvious thing to implement with the new feature. Whats the point in them asking peoples opinions that use the software but then dont listen?

Its a great new feature, but I'm going to have to pick and choose when I use it. Given that I use it to locate sheet metal on ends a lot of the time I suspect I will have to continue to use the way I've been doing it for years.

Perhaps anyone going to SWW2018 can get into their ribs about implementing is properly soon or at least get a timeline of when it going to be a useable feature.

Thanks

Steve