63 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 6:06 PM by Alin Vargatu

This is the Top 15 Currently

Rick Becker

This is a snap shot of the Top 15 Ideas for the Top Ten.

I would like to Urge everyone to Vote and Vote Now as the voting closes tomorrow?

SOLIDWORKS World 2018 Top Ten List

SOLIDWORKS World 2018 Top Ten List

Top-15.JPG

Thank you.

• Re: This is the Top 15 Currently
          Rick Becker

And...

I would like to promote what I personally believe should be #1 on the Top Ten list.

Undo/Redo - Un-Limited/Un-Restricted

David Mandl

[Checks the one I wrote]

[8 votes]

[cries softly]

Matt Peneguy

Rick,

I see you have added Make the user interface for the SR SPR and ER system User Friendly. I think that's a great idea.

Rick Becker

I just tried again.

Voting is still open!!!

Vote for your favorites while you still can!!!

I have 2 ideas at #10 and #11

Please vote for them and get them both to #8 and #9

Make the user interface for the SR SPR and ER system User Friendly

The "What's Wrong" dialog box Should have Links to Each Specific Problem & better descriptions

Adrian Velazquez

I have nothing but love for Alin Vargatu and what he does for the community, but to see that 11 of those top 15 are from just two user makes me uneasy. He posted great ideas, but I would not like this list to become a popularity contest. 

Alin Vargatu

Adrian Velazquez wrote:

I have nothing but love for Alin Vargatu and what he does for the community, but to see that 11 of those top 15 are from just two user makes me uneasy. He posted great ideas, but I would not like this list to become a popularity contest.

I agree. On the other hand, I do not think people are voting names, but ideas.

BTW, the ideas I proposed are coming from my customers and from the SWPUC participants.

Adrian Velazquez

PDM Needs some love... I mean this software was acquired in 2006 and you still find this:

Igor Fomenko

I hope SW'll create right voting system next year as Adrian suggest in my post 2018 TOP TEN LIST.Wrong voting system!!!

Elmar Klammer

I would like to think that SW is smart enough to use the "Top Enhancement Request" as a think-tank, a source for new ideas. A shot of fresh blood for the corporate body. The next step would be that skilled & competent people at SW would decide what feature are implemented and what not. They would have the ability to look at a vote count and understand that is mostly irrelevant. Instead they would pick based on other criteria's like efficiency, functionality & long term software reliability. That's why we need skills & competency.

As a drastic new way of doing things I would like to see SW expand the life-cycle from 1 year to 2 years. That would serve us as end users big time. For one my upgrade effort would be cut in half. I would have no problem paying subscription as is. Going away from bulk-upgrade to incremental-updates. Maybe using trial feature add-on's for testing in real world industry application.

Now that would be different wouldn't it.

Matt Peneguy

Elmar,

Very good point.  I think everyone would be served better if they went from a yearly to bi-yearly release cycle.  The problem is Corporate has invested so much in the yearly release cycle that it would be difficult to persuade them.  Would they have SWW moved to bi-yearly?  What about all the yearly release and sales marketing the VARs send out?  There are a lot of things that go along with it that it would be difficult to make that happen.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Matt,

I understand that everything is somewhat affected by marketing & make-believe and the industry driven interests. I just think out of the box.

They don't release a new car every year. They certainly could do that. Software need not be any different. Any corporation whether large or small scale would welcome a bi-annular life cycle. Heck I would have no problem paying subscription on a annual base. All for it.

The VAR's could operate as usual. They could advertise the fact that their software last's longer. What an advantage. Upgrades & enhancements are not affected. They are simply implemented differently. Not any different in Windows 10. It goes from creator to anniversary but still is Win 10. Less future version problems or compatibility issues. I won't keep them from competing with software that upgrades every year. You roll out the upgrades differently.

The benefits are big. It just takes someone to shake the status quo. No matter what CAD package. Version issues are a drag. Upgrades are a drag. If I had two competing software products at a tie or close to, I would most certainly take the one that has a bi-annual life cycle. Heck I would take it even if it was lacking behind. But I understand. The market deals with a lot of trigger-happy, less-educated operator, that belief everything needs to be pre-cooked and pre-digested. Welcome to the stuffed-goose-liver generation.

Elmar

Greg Hertvik

I voted, so still open.  I really like the slider thing.

Capture.JPG

No issues with speed here, and who doesn't like a few new features.

David Matula

The top 10 list should be for the core SolidWorks not the extra add add-ins that a lot of users do not get to see cause of the added cost, or lack of need. 

Matt Peneguy

I think you are onto something.  It kind of dilutes the top ten list.

Steve Calvert

I couldn't agree more.  I see way too many one offs on there and not enough core ideas.  Makes me wonder if someone is buying Bots to vote...

Steve C

Alin Vargatu

I wouldn’t blame the passion of the SW Electrical users, for the lack of interest in voting demonstrated by core users. 

SW provided the tools to make our voices heard. I sent tons of emails to customers and user groups to make them aware that they can influence the future of SOLIDWORKS. I even created personalized lists of ideas for each company I sent these emails, to save them time browsing.

Not everyone has the drive to change their daily routine and spend time reading ideas and voting on them.

Alex Lachance

Alin Vargatu a écrit:

I wouldn’t blame the passion of the SW Electrical users, for the lack of interest in voting demonstrated by core users.

SW provided the tools to make our voices heard. I sent tons of emails to customers and user groups to make them aware that they can influence the future of SOLIDWORKS. I even created personalized lists of ideas for each company I sent these emails, to save them time browsing.

Not everyone has the drive to change their daily routine and spend time reading ideas and voting on them.

Honestly Alin, the intent is good and the idea is great but why isn't it SolidWorks who is doing this? Why are they developping stuff without letting people know?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the top 10 idea submitting?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the top 10 idea submitting ending?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the voting for ideas beginning?

Why isn't there an e-mail being sent to tell people about the voting ending soon?

Why was there no e-mail sent to tell people 2018 SP1.0 was out?

Why was there no e-mail sent to tell people about SolidWorks World?

I could go on forever with these type of questions. The answer is the only time they bother to send us a damn e-mail is when there's a promotion and they want to make an easy buck. At least, that's what it looks like to me, and I'm pretty confident alot of people feel the same way.

Matt Peneguy

Unfortunately, Alin is the exception and not the rule.  If the Corporate people at SWX were like Alin, we'd have a great software package...If I had my way Alin would be the CEO or, at the very least, on the Board of Directors.

Alin Vargatu

Alex Lachance wrote:

Alin Vargatu a écrit:

Honestly Alin, the intent is good and the idea is great but why isn't it SolidWorks who is doing this? Why are they developping stuff without letting people know?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the top 10 idea submitting?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the top 10 idea submitting ending?

Why was there no e-mail sent to talk about the voting for ideas beginning?

Why isn't there an e-mail being sent to tell people about the voting ending soon?

Why was there no e-mail sent to tell people 2018 SP1.0 was out?

Why was there no e-mail sent to tell people about SolidWorks World?

I could go on forever with these type of questions. The answer is the only time they bother to send us a damn e-mail is when there's a promotion and they want to make an easy buck. At least, that's what it looks like to me, and I'm pretty confident alot of people feel the same way.

The answer is simple: most users do not sign on for emails.

I think SOLIDWORKS does a lot to spread the word. Maybe VARs can do more.

Not sure how is in US, but in Canada I cannot send emails to anyone I want. My company can be fined millions for sending unwanted emails. If customers did not expressly agree to receive email, you cannot send them emails. Is that simple.

Check with your colleagues, how many checked the boxes for receiving news from SW?

Even so, SW is trying to spread the news other ways. Forum, blog, even the News pane in SOLIDWORKS. Also, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, you name it. Rachel York performs fantastic work in this regard. 

I thought like you in the past. Lately, seeing what happens from both sides, I came to the conclusion that you cannot force users to spend the time reading and voting on ideas, unless they are passionate about their job.

Alex Lachance

Alin Vargatu a écrit:

The answer is simple: most users do not sign on for emails.

I think SOLIDWORKS does a lot to spread the word. Maybe VARs can do more.

Not sure how is in US, but in Canada I cannot send emails to anyone I want. My company can be fined millions for sending unwanted emails. If customers did not expressly agree to receive email, you cannot send them emails. Is that simple.

They could do just like most programs and sneak a checked box in the installation that people generally skip over and agree without knowing to receive those mails. If I can receive an e-mail about an ongoing promotion I'm pretty sure I can receive an e-mail to advise me about everything else I mentioned.

Regardless, as you said, VAR could and should do more. SolidWorks reminds us constantly how we should use our VAR's to get stuff fixed yet they never use their VAR to get their user's opinion on certain things? Do you see the irony in that?

Alin Vargatu a écrit:

Even so, SW is trying to spread the news other ways. Forum, blog, even the News pane in SOLIDWORKS. Also, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, you name it. Rachel York performs fantastic work in this regard.

I thought like you in the past. Lately, seeing what happens from both sides, I came to the conclusion that you cannot force users to spend the time reading and voting on ideas, unless they are passionate about their job.

I'm sure there are good intended people working on stuff like this, Rachel being one of them, but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Results are what matters. If I sent a project in the shop and had a problem because I had badly thought a concept. No matter how good the intention was, the result is problematic and it needs to be fixed. It's not by sitting around and praising good intentions that things will change.

In the past, I was adamant about SolidWorks. Recently, after all my complaining, I have finally been heard, or so I think. They have approached me to see what was wrong and told me a certain fix would fix everything. I'm still waiting to move to 2018 to do the fix because of my boss. After that, I'll be able to see if the program is indeed getting better or has it been almost stalled as I have been thinking ever since I have been on SolidWorks.

Anyways,sorry for derailing the topic.

Matt Peneguy

Alin,

I agree that we shouldn't blame users of add-ons for their enthusiasm.  But, maybe it would be better to have two separate top tens, one for core SWX and one for add-ons.  I really like the idea of the SWX team devoting the most resources to the core of SWX.  I know the add-ons need a lot of work, but I can choose to use or not use them.  For instance, I don't think Routing is worth learning.  It has a lot of bugs (or did when I looked into it in 2013) and rather than learn their workarounds, I use 3d sketches and weldments for that workflow.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Alin,

Honestly I can't hear it anymore. ...... The importance to get ones voice heard. Every day all we hear is voice noise. Everywhere are people voicing their opinions. Having your voice heard is simply meaningless if what you are saying lacks competence.

Bunching up many voices in numbers only creates volume not content.

Bottom line, all it takes is a single capable person with the power do make a good decision.

Elmar

Francisco Martínez

I voted, I calling it my complaining tax

Rick Becker

It seems striking to me just how few comments and bookmarks the Ideas by Nicky Lin concerning electrical has.

Thoughts?

Alex Lachance

Looks to me like someone found a way to get their point across to SolidWorks

Might be multiple accounts to increase vote count or just a big company with many licences voting up on it.

Question to you guys: When I register for the forums, I am required to enter a serial key for SolidWorks. How does it work for network serial numbers? I've got 5 licences on a network and 9 stand alones and always wondered that.

Can I register 5 different accounts with the same network serial?

If not, does one account count for 5 votes in the vote chart?

Is there a way to centralize those serial number's vote so I wouldn't have to log onto 14 licences to vote?

Alin Vargatu

Alex Lachance wrote:

Looks to me like someone found a way to get their point across to SolidWorks

Might be multiple accounts to increase vote count or just a big company with many licences voting up on it.

Question to you guys: When I register for the forums, I am required to enter a serial key for SolidWorks. How does it work for network serial numbers? I've got 5 licences on a network and 9 stand alones and always wondered that.

Can I register 5 different accounts with the same network serial?

If not, does one account count for 5 votes in the vote chart?

Is there a way to centralize those serial number's vote so I wouldn't have to log onto 14 licences to vote?

If I were the CAD Admin or the manager in a big company, with hundreds of licenses, I will poll all my users to get 10-20 ideas that are critical to my company's success. Then, I would mandate mass voting on those ideas.

A large company could easily promote their ideas in the top 10, considering the current system.

David Mandl

As someone who works for a small company, this is exactly why I sometimes appeal to the forums (or Twitter, or a captive audience at a SWW breakout session) to plug an ER/SPR/etc.

Rick Becker

Alin Vargatu wrote:

If I were the CAD Admin or the manager in a big company,...

It's interesting that several dozen of the users that voted registered in the last 2 weeks with the majority registering on Jan, 27th.

Adrian Velazquez

I can barely get them to reply to my emails... I have no authority to mandate anything

Alex Lachance

Is there a way to ''Mass vote'' without creating multiple accounts?

• The people I work with probably won't post here as most of them don't speak english. there's one of our engineer who registered lately to ask a question and that's about it.
                                                                          • My boss woud not like it if people were browsing the forums during working hours. I have the permission to do so because I am the SW Admin and I troubleshoot a lot. By not having accounts we remove the risk of this.
                                                                              Alin Vargatu

Alex Lachance wrote:

Is there a way to ''Mass vote'' without creating multiple accounts?

• The people I work with probably won't post here as most of them don't speak english. there's one of our engineer who registered lately to ask a question and that's about it.
                                                                              • My boss woud not like it if people were browsing the forums during working hours. I have the permission to do so because I am the SW Admin and I troubleshoot a lot. By not having accounts we remove the risk of this.

The value is not in the votes, it is in the ideas and the comments. The votes are mostly a pretext to get people interested in participating.

So, if you submitted ideas and/or commented on existed ones, you contributed to improving SOLIDWORKS, much more than simply voting on ideas.

I would not be concerned too much with "who is winning" and "who is losing". SOLIDWORKS has an excellent history of implementing great ideas outside of the Top 10 list. It is usually those ideas that are very well explained and are accompanied with a business impact estimation.

Example: in my team of 10 users, we do this currently. It takes each of us one hour per day. If you would simplify this workflow by implementing this idea, we could eliminate these steps. The result is getting the job done in 5 minute per person, a saving of 92%!!!

Adrian Velazquez

The value is not in the votes, it is in the ideas and the comments...

Based on my experience, I will have to disagree. I've been asking (submitting Ideas and other platforms) for the PDM Card editor to get updates since 2009!

Matt Peneguy

Thanks Alin,

I never thought of that.  I will try that in the future.

You just gave me another idea, too. I think I'll send the below over to my boss:

In my team of 7 users, we do this currently. It takes each of us one hour per day. If you would simplify this workflow by hiring Alin Vargatu to train us, we could eliminate these steps. The result is getting the job done in 5 minute per person, a saving of 92%!!!
                                                                                        Alin Vargatu

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Thanks Alin,

I never thought of that. I will try that in the future.

You just gave me another idea, too. I think I'll send the below over to my boss:

In my team of 7 users, we do this currently. It takes each of us one hour per day. If you would simplify this workflow by hiring Alin Vargatu to train us, we could eliminate these steps. The result is getting the job done in 5 minute per person, a saving of 92%!!!

Yes, please. I am not joking about customers reporting this type of results after consulting.

Rick Becker

Maybe...

This year we can have a Top Fifteen???

Or

Top Ten Core + Top Five Electrical?