36 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2018 4:07 AM by Gordon Rigg

What is your experience with SRs, SPRs and ERs?

Eric Snyder

There is a post here that recently starting getting traffic again after a long time being dormant. It discusses it Solidworks pays attention to Enhancement Requests. I got me wondering what my experience has been with requesting support, enhancements and service from Solidworks.

As for me SR's get some attention. None of my seven SPR's have received any attention as far as I can tell even though Solidworks is reporting that they fixed at least one of them (it isn't in 2018 SP01). And I have not placed an Enhancement Requests - mostly because I don't feel they listen or take action on them unless you buy a lot of licenses.

Screenshot_1.png

My questions:

Do you use these systems? Why or why not?

How effective have they been for you?

Do you get notified when items on this system progress through the Solidworks system?

Is there anything else you would like to say about these systems or Solidworks support in general?

• Re: What is your experience with SRs, SPRs and ERs?
          Dan Pihlaja

Interestingly enough, I added my name to an SPR (well, I had my VAR add me, I think) a while ago (I can't actually remember when) and I got this yesterday:

It isn't intuitive, but its the only system that we have at the moment.

Alex Lachance

Got that one too.

SR = Service Request.     Concerns VAR. Generally you have a problem and they fill this up to say they worked on the problem.

SPR = Software Performance Report .      When a SR isn't solved, it turns into a SPR, to be sent to SolidWorks. These are known as bugs

ER = Enhancement Request.      When you ask for new stuff, this is where they put the request

So generally, you call your VAR so that he opens up a SR, if he can't fix it he opens up an SPR. If it's something that should be implemented and not corrited he opens up an ER.

The problem resides in this, which seems to be a relative tangent:

Eric Snyder a écrit:

As for me SR's get some attention. None of my seven SPR's have received any attention as far as I can tell even though Solidworks is reporting that they fixed at least one of them (it isn't in 2018 SP01). And I have not placed an Enhancement Requests - mostly because I don't feel they listen or take action on them unless you buy a lot of licenses.
                  Alin Vargatu

1-1CZ5932 wrote:

Got that one too.

SR = Service Request. Concerns VAR. Generally you have a problem and they fill this up to say they worked on the problem.

SPR = Software Performance Report . When a SR isn't solved, it turns into a SPR, to be sent to SolidWorks. These are known as bugs

ER = Enhancement Request. When you ask for new stuff, this is where they put the request

So generally, you call your VAR so that he opens up a SR, if he can't fix it he opens up an SPR. If it's something that should be implemented and not corrited he opens up an ER.

The problem resides in this, which seems to be a relative tangent:

Eric Snyder a écrit:

A few corrections.

When a customer opens a support case with a VAR, the case is recorded only on the VAR case system. In 90% of the cases, a good VAR will solve the problem without needing to contact SW.

If the VAR suspects that (s)he is dealing with a new bug, (s)he will open an SR on the SW system. An SR is simply a ticket for SW to keep track of the Information and communication that goes on while troubleshooting the problem.

If SW tech agrees that the problem is generated by a possible bug, he will create an SPR.

SPRs contains all the information needed to reproduce the problem, along with the customer business impact justification.

The SW developers put these SPRs in a queue and work on fixing them based on assigned priorities. It is very important to ask as many of your colleagues and friends as possible to vote on your SPR. That is the best way to ensure that SW will pay attention to that specific SPR. Otherwise, there is good chance that your SPR could be closed with the mention Inactive. That means that no other users complained of the problem in a while, so it could be ignored by dev.

The current SPR system is a black hole for VARs too. It is as frustrating for us, as it is for end users.

Eric Snyder
                      It is very important to ask as many of your colleagues and friends as possible to vote on your SPR. That is the best way to ensure that SW will pay attention to that specific SPR.

I have a couple of issues with this:

1) A person in a small company can hope to get at most 10 votes? A person in a company of 1,000 seats will get a whole lot more. It gives the power to get things done to the large buyers and screws over the small guys.

2) How do you "vote" on a SPR? I don't see any obvious way in my customer pages at Solidworks.

3) You want us to spend our time lobbying and convincing colleagues to vote for our stuff and not get our work done? If you were the person paying the users their salaries is that really what you would want them doing? I suspect that you would want them designing on software that didn't crash six times a day - yes, happened to me last Thursday.

What I really want for Solidworks is to fix stability and bugs and not all these new "features" they keep coming out with. Personally, I feel that the efforts Solidworks is placing on new features over stability is like an auto maker focusing on a better, more comfortable seats for a driver to sit in while they are waiting for a tow truck because their engine just broke a defective timing belt. It's the sole reason I almost switched to Inventor last year.

Alin Vargatu

Eric Snyder wrote:

It is very important to ask as many of your colleagues and friends as possible to vote on your SPR. That is the best way to ensure that SW will pay attention to that specific SPR.

I have a couple of issues with this:

1) A person in a small company can hope to get at most 10 votes? A person in a company of 1,000 seats will get a whole lot more. It gives the power to get things done to the large buyers and screws over the small guys.

2) How do you "vote" on a SPR? I don't see any obvious way in my customer pages at Solidworks.

3) You want us to spend our time lobbying and convincing colleagues to vote for our stuff and not get our work done? If you were the person paying the users their salaries is that really what you would want them doing? I suspect that you would want them designing on software that didn't crash six times a day - yes, happened to me last Thursday.

What I really want for Solidworks is to fix stability and bugs and not all these new "features" they keep coming out with. Personally, I feel that the efforts Solidworks is placing on new features over stability is like an auto maker focusing on a better, more comfortable seats for a driver to sit in while they are waiting for a tow truck because their engine just broke a defective timing belt. It's the sole reason I almost switched to Inventor last year.

There are so few votes on SPRs, that even 1 vote a week will make a difference. The current system is a big unknown for the majority of users, so yes, if you get 10 votes on an SPR, alarms bells will ring on the desk of DEV.

Eric Snyder
                              There are so few votes on SPRs, that even 1 vote a week will make a difference. The current system is a big unknown for the majority of users, so yes, if you get 10 votes on an SPR, alarms bells will ring on the desk of DEV.

Even so...I'm not going to spend my time engineering a vote campaign to convince Solidworks they they need to fix crashing issues. They get crash reports, customer experience feedback, etc. They already know it has stability issues.

Alin Vargatu

Eric Snyder wrote:

Even so...I'm not going to spend my time engineering a vote campaign to convince Solidworks they they need to fix crashing issues. They get crash reports, customer experience feedback, etc. They already know it has stability issues.

On that topic (crashes), there is no need to convince anyone. SW is already convinced.

On voting on SPRs, I disagree. Until the system changes, if one wants his bugs fixed, there are ways to get results. And is not hard.

Let's put it this way. You now know more than a typical user, about what can be done in the current framework. Is up to you to act or not.

Eric Snyder
                                      On that topic (crashes), there is no need to convince anyone. SW is already convinced.

I don't see any evidence here. Every new release brings crashing, sometimes on basic things like saving a file or closing a file. How do you know that Solidworks is convinced?

Dennis Dohogne

Eric Snyder wrote:

I don't see any evidence here. Every new release brings crashing, sometimes on basic things like saving a file or closing a file. How do you know that Solidworks is convinced?

Eric, the folks at SWX clearly have heard the complaints about crashes/stability so heavily punctuated in ONE and TWO

I refer you to these posts from me A Visit with SolidWorks’ Leadership, Nov 15, 2017 and from Rick, Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17

Yes, they have heard this message loud and clear.  HOWEVER, we must not let up our pressure until we are satisfied.  They are responding to our cries for improving the stability of the software and for improving the ER/KB/SR/SPR and Customer Feedback system.  I am not at all happy with the slow speed of this response, and even the folks we met with at SWX are not happy with the pace, if that really means anything.

What we can all do is:

a) Keep the pressure on SWX to fix what's broken

b) Provide as much concrete evidence/examples of the problems as possible

c) Keep our comments constructive and intelligible, without name-calling or personal attacks

d) Define the priorities, i.e., how important is stability compared to speed and new features (as being asked in the survey at the entrance to voting for the Top Ten list).

Dan Pihlaja

Eric Snyder wrote:

correct way(s) to "Vote" for SPR - SW confirm?

Dean Purvis

Mixed... I got the below on Dec 11, 2017.

The following SPR (SolidWorks Performance Report) status has changed to Closed.

SR# (Service Request): 1-9209400941

SPR#: 751614

Description: File specific: ‘This file contains no display data..’ error when opening file in quick view or eDrawings

Version: 2015 SP05

Odd... are they saying it was fixed in v2015 SP5 of eDrawings?  we have turned the issue in a few times over the years, but this latest time was in Nov 2017, using eDrawings 2016 SP3.  Yeah... real nice!

Richard Bremmer

I have to ask:

Are you aware of the document property "Save tessellation with part document"?

Enabling this setting will remove the ability to quick view in SolidWorks or preview a document in eDrawings.

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Document Properties - Image Quality

Otherwise I would say it is an issue with your templates and you should create new templates.

Alex Lachance

Call up your VAR and ask for information, I wouldn't be happy if that were the case.

Dennis Dohogne

Dean Purvis wrote:

Description: File specific: ‘This file contains no display data..’ error when opening file in quick view or eDrawings

Odd... are they saying it was fixed in v2015 SP5 of eDrawings? we have turned the issue in a few times over the years, but this latest time was in Nov 2017, using eDrawings 2016 SP3. Yeah... real nice!

I am pretty sure the Closed indication just means that they have read and logged it, not that there is no further action to be made.  This is stupid and confusing, to say the least, but Closed does not mean it is dead.  Perhaps Bruce Holway or Jim Wilkinson can provide a definitive answer.

Alex Lachance

It also means they are are closing it and not going to bother with it unless someone brings it back alive.

Dennis Dohogne

Alex Lachance wrote:

It also means they are are closing it and not going to bother with it unless someone brings it back alive.

Alex, I think that is not at all correct.  I'm sure the guys at SWX that monitor this forum are swamped with preparations for SWW so I'm tagging Alin to ask you to provide a definitive answer as to what the Closed designation means.

Alin Vargatu

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Alex Lachance wrote:

Alex, I think that is not at all correct. I'm sure the guys at SWX that monitor this forum are swamped with preparations for SWW so I'm tagging Alin to ask you to provide a definitive answer as to what the Closed designation means.

I am not 100% sure. I think Closed, is Closed. Usually there is a:

• Closed and Implemented in SW 20xx SPx.x
                                                    • Closed - Duplicate of SPR xxxxxxx
                                                    • Closed - Inactive (no solution and abandoned)

There might be other states...

Alex Lachance

That is what I generally see too, which is why I said the ''Closed'' indication was one that meant they won't bother with it unless it is revived. To me, if it's not wrote ''Closed and implemented in SW20xx SPx.x'' then it means it's closed and inactive and won't be bothered with unless it is revived by someone else, especially that the person pointed out that the 2015 SP5.0 which was mentioned in his closed SPR was problematic and so was 2016.

Though, I understand it could be confusing to some to indicate that ''Closed means they won't bother'' as it could apply to the other options. That was not my intent.

Alin Vargatu

Depends a lot on how clear the description of the SPR is. The problem that generated the SPR could be very well solved, but the description could be so vague, that the reader could believe that it applies to his/her current problem.

Also, sometimes problems get solved in an SP, only to be reintroduced as regressions by another SP or release.

For most users, regressions are the hardest to swallow.

Jim Wilkinson

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Dean Purvis wrote:

Odd... are they saying it was fixed in v2015 SP5 of eDrawings? we have turned the issue in a few times over the years, but this latest time was in Nov 2017, using eDrawings 2016 SP3. Yeah... real nice!

I am pretty sure the Closed indication just means that they have read and logged it, not that there is no further action to be made. This is stupid and confusing, to say the least, but Closed does not mean it is dead. Perhaps Bruce Holway or Jim Wilkinson can provide a definitive answer.

I think you may be confusing SRs with SPRs. SRs are service requests logged with technical support (or created through the enhancement request system). SRs can be anything from a how to question to something that does need to be addressed in the software.  If it is a how to question or some problem that does not need to be addressed by development, the technical support person helps with the issue and then closes the SR. If an SR relates to one or more issues that needs to be fixed in the software, then one or more SPRs (software performance report) will be linked to the SR and the SR will then be closed by technical support.

For SPRs, as Alin says, closed does not mean fixed. As you can see earlier in this thread, Dan Pihlaja posted a screenshot of an SPR that was fixed and you can see the status is Implemented for that case, not Closed.

SPRs can be closed for a number of different reasons; it may be corrupt data and not something that can be fixed in the software (in some cases a recovered file can be given back to the user). It could be a legitimate misunderstanding of what the software is supposed to do. There are all sorts of things that could cause an SPR to be closed instead of fixed. Theoretically, in those cases, the VAR should be proactively contacting the user that reported the problem to let them know why it was closed. If that doesn't happen, the best course of action is for the user to check with the VAR as to why it was closed.

I looked at this SPR internally where we have lots of notes and back and forth from development, technical support, etc. The SPR had been reported by multiple users, and not all the cases of why the issue happens are the same. This is why it is very important to have a VAR/technical support person involved in helping troubleshoot problems and attaching them to SPRs instead of just doing it "self serve" through the customer portal. Of course, if it is definitely clear that an issue is exactly the same as that listed in the portal, and no data needs to be provided, self service attaching yourself to an SPR is fine, but if in doubt, go through your VAR. Then your exact data is attached to the SPR for our development staff to analyze when looking at the SPR.

For this particular SPR, there are some legitimate reasons for a part or assembly file NOT to have display data; this manifests itself in the quick view and eDrawings message documented in this SPR, but in many cases, also makes it so there is no preview or bitmap when looking at the file in File Explorer or other interfaces that show that. One reason is if the file is in an older version that didn't even save out the data necessary to support Edrawings or Quickview. Another reason is if a part or assembly file is not saved while open in it's own window within SOLIDWORKS, it will not have the display data. This can happen if you create a part in the context of the assembly and never have it open it in it's own window or for an assembly if you use the form subassembly functionality. Enhancements could probably be made so that ALL files would have up to date display data/previews/thumbnails, but there would certainly be trade offs. For instance, one way to solve it would be that whenever a parent document is saved, each document is opened in its own window when being saved, but you can imagine the performance implications of that. I have it on my "to do" list to write and FAQ about this.

I don't know if Dean's particular case is a legitimate case where no display data is expected or a different case (again, there are a number of different examples and situations tied to the one SPR) so you will need to contact your reseller to get the details which they should be able to get from SOLIDWORKS technical support, if they don't have them already.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Pihlaja

Thank you for that reply Jim.   I am officially bookmarking this thread solely because of your response. 

Jim Wilkinson

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Thank you for that reply Jim. I am officially bookmarking this thread solely because of your response.

I have it on my "to do" list to write and FAQ about what causes display data/previews/thumbnails to be legitimately missing from files. I've updated my original reply to indicate that fact too.

Thanks,
                                                              Jim

Dean Purvis

Yes Jim, thanks for the detailed reply.  The case is real and I will contact our VAR for a response on the Closed status.

We are currently running SWX 2016 SP5 and in this case I know the file was created and saved under v2016.  The message that appears is humorous since we started using SWX after the version listed in the message.(we started on 98 Plus).

Someone also mentioned the tessellation setting, yes, we have had that turned on for quite a few years.

Hope to see you at SWW...

Dan Pihlaja

Dean Purvis wrote:

We are currently running SWX 2016 SP5 and in this case I know the file was created and saved under v2016. The message that appears is humorous since we started using SWX after the version listed in the message.(we started on 98 Plus).

When was the last time you updated your templates (I mean created them from scratch?)?

Read this:

Crusty Old Template File Gotcha

Dean Purvis

Yeah... that's on the list of items.  All this time we have been using SWX and did not know about that.  I read the string... but my boss is questioning how it will shake out.  There are so many settings and options, how do I make sure I get them correct?

... we have about 40 templates... unfortunately different departments have some different settings.

After re-reading it, I am still unsure how best to go about it.

Dan Pihlaja

In my opinion, the best way is to take a snapshot of each page of the settings in your old template.  Then make sure that your new template settings match the snapshots.  Of course, there is more to a template than just the settings.

Alex Lachance

Hey Dean,

The way I go about it is this way:

I take screenshot of every system settings.

I open a part and take a screenshot of every document setting

I open an assembly and take a screenshot of every document setting

I open a drawing and take a screenshot of every document setting.

This will help you familiarize yourself with the new settings and will also make sure you don't bring in bad stuff from the old version.

For the templates, it's pretty basic. The part and assembly template don't need much change. It's at the drawing level where it gets tricky. What I was suggested by SolidWorks of doing was was to do a copy as block of my drawing template to paste it into the new one.

Matt Peneguy

It's unfortunate that we all have to stumble into this conclusion, in my case, after having wasted a bunch of time.  There should be a warning when installing stating something like, "Templates and Copy Settings files older than 20XX are not supported in this version."  I don't like it when a problem has been identified, but yet the only way to find out is after you lose a bunch of data and time, you reach out to your VAR or the forums and find, "Hey, you're not supposed to use Copy Settings Wizard because it can screw up your installation."  Really, SW supplies the tool... "Oh, and those templates you tweaked for settings that work for your workflow...Yeah, go ahead and recreate them from scratch." 

I now know, but here we see others discovering this through mythos.  It is very opaque to new users, and even some seasoned ones, if you take a look at the Crusty Old Template File Gotcha thread.

Alex Lachance

It is unfortunate. It took us 2 years of problems for me to finally find out about it on the forums. I then had to throw a tantrum like a little baby to get SolidWork's attention so that they would try and correct the problem we encounter.

My boss wanted me to ask SolidWorks to refund us every single part that their program screwed us over with(because of that particular bug). We were probably losing about 15 000$ a year from this one bug alone.

We were fortunate enough to not have the bug happen on extremely standard components that are ordered in batch.

They gave me a solution but I'm still waiting for the O.K. from my boss to upgrade from 2016 SP4.0 to 2018 SP1.0 so that I can apply their fix and see if it actually fixes it. For all I know, it probably won't as there have been many fixes suggested by my VAR who didn't work already.

Matt Peneguy

Sorry you had to go through all that.  My problems were much less.  And that's probably why my frustration level isn't as high as yours.  If they are going to perpetually charge us, I think the term is software as a service, then maybe when the software fails, you have an argument for liability on their part.  Maybe that's the ultimate solution to ONE and TWO. If One and Two starts to affect their profits, Corporate will definitely pay attention to fixing bugs and making the software more stable.

Matt Peneguy

Jim,

Thanks for your detailed response.  Please don't take any of what I'm going to say wrong.  I have nothing but respect for you and the SWX team.  My complaint is about the system not you or your team.

Once again we see that this ER, SR, SPR system needs to be fixed.  How is anyone to divine the meaning of "Closed" or "Closed-Inactive"?  Even Alin, who works for a VAR isn't completely certain.  Apparently a lot of work is going on behind the scenes before that status is marked "Closed".  I think it would be good to let the users know some of that.  The first time one of my SPR's got changed to "Closed-Inactive", I was livid because I had no idea anything was going on behind the scenes.  I filed a bug! Why wouldn't somebody at least look at it!!!??? If there's simply not enough interest, list that as the reason.  If I had been informed there wasn't enough interest, I'd have posted it here to see if anyone else had the same problem and to vote for it.  If I was alone and didn't get any votes, I'd understand.

Tom Gagnon

I found issue. VAR confirmed issue. VAR made SPR (I think?). I was supposedly included in notification.

I never head anything about it ever. I never revisited it. I think it's still an issue. I found a workaround and now do that instead.

I no longer care about this issue, particularly because it no longer effects my work. I'd still like to know if it is resolved for others, inasmuch as notification should be notification, not so that I need to go check up on something that may never move.

TL,DR:

How's my big idea going? Login. Click, click, click. Nothing. No one cares. Why did I bother looking? Why did I care in the 1st place?

That's my user experience with the xR-system.

Gordon Rigg

Of course you cannot add yourself to an SPR unless it is an enhancement. If it says Enhancement:No you must hassle your VAR to add you to the SPR. This is a great way of increasing the popularity of enhancements and reducing the number of people reporting bugs.

A nice piece of creative accounting indeed.