7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 2:43 PM by Howard Delano

What is wrong with exploded line sketches in Solidworks 2018?

Kurt Gaetano

Here's my issue:

I am just trying to create exploded views & explode line sketches of relatively simple assemblies, like I have been doing for years in previous versions of Solidworks. There have always been minor issues with exploded views, like the exploded line sketches losing references to parts when something in the assembly changes, but it has always been manageable. Now that they have "Improved" the exploded line feature, it seem nearly impossible to do a simple exploded view without the whole view blowing up when adding explode lines.

I have a small assembly (11 parts).

I Create an exploded view, moving the parts into appropriate positions (in an isometric view).

I add explode lines (2) through the centers of holes, fasteners, and components (the old fashioned way using "Route Line" - not with "Smart Explode Lines").

As soon as I finish the explode line sketch & click the "Exit Sketch" icon, all the parts move from where I had placed them. I end up wit the parts way further away from each other than I want.

If I then move them back into position, the sketch lines are now sticking way out beyond the parts.

If I do use the "Smart Explode Lines" then it creates multiple (8) lines through centers of components that are in-line and on axis where 1 line  would be all that's required. It also seems to create lines that are not on any axis of cylindrical features that are not necessary.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior? I haven't had enough time yet working with the "Smart Explode Lines" to know the fine points and whether it will actually be any real benefit to me. It seems very strange that adding explode lines with the "Route Line" tool could actually change the positions of the parts in the explode. Never saw that in previous releases.

Maybe it's a setting somewhere or something else on my system?...

• Re: What is wrong with exploded line sketches in Solidworks 2018?
          Kurt Gaetano

Anyone else???

Quite frankly, it seems like every time there's a major update, some totally unrelated feature or function that used to work, no longer works properly. Whatever they did to exploded views, I sure wish they would undo.

Joe Ourada

Kurt,

I have used the new smart explode lines feature in 2018 a few times recently.   I found it to be convenient for my needs in the drawing I was creating.   I even used the same exploded line features after I did a pack and go from my original model/drawing set, changed my models to my desired sizes and updated part locations, and when i got to updating my exploded views and exploded lines, it was pretty seamless.  Granted my changes were of a linear type and not much changed in the design of the assembly and models other than making the full assembly larger "created a new grain bin roof at one diameter, then pack and go'ed to the next size up".

I did notice a few things that could cause me to scratch my head if I wanted my exploded lines to be more precise.   One such item was that the lines connected to the exploded model origins automatically, which worked fine for my situation as I did not need much more detail than that.  Also, I noticed that the lines were not one continuous segment between origins but had a small perpendicular jog at about the mid point between origins.   Again, this worked for my situation as the scale of the detail I was using on my drawing for this exploded view did not pick this up.  In the past using the exploded line sketch tool I would edit the 3D sketch to get rid of any extra line segments and add relations to the single line segment to my exploded parts accordingly.

I have to admit tho, I have not dug around much further with the new smart exploded line feature.   There are a few more options I could of tested to see if I could get better results but did not have the time (always short deadlines) but will explore further as needed.

I have not experienced what you described in your original post with the new smart exploded line feature but do appreciate your frustration with new features in new releases causing problems in older version models.  

Not to hijack your thread, but I am experiencing a similar situation with linear sketch patterns and the "Fix X-axis direction" check box which defaults to be checked now in 2018 and causes sketch errors due to us using sketch relations to drive the pattern direction.   So far a simple un-checking of that option has corrected the sketch errors, but I have 100s of models that use this and every time I open one in 2018 I have errors that need updated.

Regards,

Joe Ourada

Chris James

Yes, I am experiencing the same issues. I have had a few crashes and have mentioned it in a crash report. Not sure if thats gonna help at all, but it was worth a try. It seems like you cannot create an exploded step, then adjust it if needed or else it will revert back to the original position. Its almost like you have to get it into the exact position you want from the beginning or else you're screwed.

I have also experienced the same issues when using Smart Explode Lines, where it will actually move the parts a lot farther away than where I placed them.

I have even seen where I would open up an exploded view where none of the parts stayed where I left them, so I deleted all the steps, and restarted, then when finished creating a new new exploded view, I collapsed it, then opened it and it went back to the previous scrambled exploded view I "thought" I deleted.

Definitely need this fixed and hopefully REAL soon, as a lot of my work depends on it.

William McFaul

Chris James wrote:

Yes, I am experiencing the same issues. I have had a few crashes and have mentioned it in a crash report. Not sure if thats gonna help at all, but it was worth a try. It seems like you cannot create an exploded step, then adjust it if needed or else it will revert back to the original position. Its almost like you have to get it into the exact position you want from the beginning or else you're screwed.

-Also noticed this myself. the "old" way let you change position, and then updated the line. but as you say you better be sure you have it right from the minute you "smart" line it or it will not give good results.

William McFaul

Kurt Gaetano wrote:

If I do use the "Smart Explode Lines" then it creates multiple (8) lines through centers of components that are in-line and on axis where 1 line would be all that's required. It also seems to create lines that are not on any axis of cylindrical features that are not necessary.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?

-Yes I have noticed that also. Still end up going to insert exploded lines, and then closing that because another bug that has been going on since forever is that you cant delete or change exploded lines unless you close out of the box. and then when your done making edits, you have to go back up to the top and un select it from the drop down to continue working.

However, it beats having to fish your way around from hole to hole with "old fashioned" route lines.

Bjorn Sorenson

I'm having the same issue in SW'16.  I've got a pretty large assembly, and when I create an explode line sketch in an exploded view, everything looks fine.  When I exit the sketch, parts go flying off into space.  I found another thread saying that mirrored components were sometimes problematic, so I dissolved all of the mirrors but I'm still getting the same result.  Anyone have a fix for this or some kind of best practices they use to avoid this problem?

Howard Delano

Yes, same issues! It is all munged up. Parts move around like crazy and don't stay where moved if you try and change anything. Completely frustrated!!!!!