26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 2:16 PM by Alison Hilditch

Input form fields not initializing...??

Christina Seay
      This was working before we upgraded PDM to 2009... so I'm not sure if that caused it or not.. but...

When we go to make a new SolidWorks part/assembly/drawing in the vault we have this structure:

Vault root
      --->FB -- > Folder
      ------>FB20000 --> Folder
      --------->FB20000A01 -->SolidWorks Assembly
      --------->FB20000D01 -->SolidWorks Drawing

On the template input form card we have 4 fields...
      1. Pulls the FB20000 from the folder and is read-only
      2. Is a single letter drop-down for D, A, or P (Drawing, assembly, part)
      3. Is a two digit code (01, 02, 03, 04, etc.)
      4. Is a field to put them all together and this field is what names the file.

However, when I go into the vault and make a new SolidWorks file, fields 2, 3 and 4 are fine, they all have their information in the fields. But, when I get 2 and 3 entered in...

Field 4 just says A01... it's not getting the FB20000 that's coming from field 1.

But if I disable the read-only on field 1, and I delete one of the numbers and type it again then field 4 gets it.

Why am I having to manually do something to field 1 so that it will show up in field 4?

And this was working just fine in 2008 just in case it's an upgrade issue.
        • Input form fields not initializing...??
          Christina Seay
          Does anyone else have problems with fields on cards not initializing, or having blank values when they shouldn't? This was happening to us before the upgrade and is happening in more locations after we went to 2009.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a glitch in the system, or if it's just that something isn't set up correctly.
              Joy Garon
              Christina -

I think I might know the problem - you said this happens on 2009... There was a behaviour change on the datacards where 'focus' now goes to the active configuration tab (previously it ws the @ tab).
              Select the @ tab and see if your information is there. You can disable the focus: in Windows Explorer vault view, go to the file list area, RMB, and select View, and uncheck 'Set focus to active configuration'.

Regards,
              Joy
                  Christina Seay
                  Ok... file attachment thing didn't work... let's try it this way:
                  http://client-review.littleole...lizeProblem.zip

Joy... yeah.. I noticed that. That was an issue with 2008 as well. If I tell something on a card (like a date) to update across all configurations, it won't update until I make the field where it's not read-only and then actually change the date. So that's been annoying on several things. Especially for mandatory fields that are read-only... like the document number on the card... it's created with the template input form when the file is created and therefore doesn't need to be edited by the user.. but it won't update on the other configurations, so when they try to check in a file they can't because it's a required field that's blank on the other configurations.

I can solve that one with refresh button on the card that will pick up those values and write them to all configurations.

This particular issue is on a template input form, so wouldn't have anything to do with that.
                Jeff Sweeney
                I gotta admit...I don't understand your question. What happens when a form initializes?
                  Christina Seay
                  Grr... what a day... is it monday instead of friday... yeesh.

Let's try this again:
                  http://client-review.littleole..._InitializeProblem.zip
                      Mike Sveda
                      What I noticed with 2009 is:

Previously when I created a solidworks drawing and saved the drawing file, the data card would pop up with all the fields filled in with the data from the part/assy. Now it comes up with default values from the drawing file. After checking the drawing in, the data card updates with the correct data from the part/assy
                      Christina Seay
                      I'll definitely be on the look out for that Mike. So far we haven't even gotten that far with it. We're still stuck on getting files/folders created... lol... when we can actually get a file created successfully and into the vault, then I'll need to check that too.
                          Joy Garon
                          Hi Christine -

So I'm guessing that you are using input formula for 'Document Number' field?
                          Is the 'Folder Number' field reading it's value from the folder card variable?

I'll try to re-create this on my system.

Also, are you saying that this 'used to' work in a previous release?

Joy
                              Christina Seay
                              Document Number Field is an input formula built up from
                              Folder Number + Document Type + Serial Code

Folder Number is set so that it's Default Value is the Folder Data Card Variable - Project Number

As you can see, it's getting the Folder Number just fine.. so that part works.

And yeah.. this used to work on 2008. It wouldn't put the Folder Number into the Document Number field until we changed either Document Type or Serial Code.. but as soon as we did one of those, it would refresh the input formula and it would pick up the Folder Number then.

We have similar thing happening on Folder creation... where it's a two letter code like FB + Serial Number. With 2008, we had to make a radio button with "Confirm FB" that the user would click so that it would build up the input formula when they clicked the radio and get the FB + Serial in the Folder Number field. Now we have to click the button to get the FB into the field and then manually do something to the serial number field on the card to get that to go in.
                            Christina Seay
                            Joy,

Ok... thank-you. At least I know I didn't mess something up.

Any thoughts on how to get around this in the meantime?

Thanks,
                            Christina
                            • Re: Input form fields not initializing...??
                              Alison Hilditch

Hi there,

I know this is an old discussion, but I am having this same problem with 2012. My part number serial number shows up on the pop up template upon saving to the vault, but it will not transfer to the file card unless the part number field is manually edited. I obviously do NOT want users to edit the part number field as that ruins the integrity of the part number. I've been having this problem in serveral dropdown fields as well. Has anyone remedied this or found out why this happens?

Thanks!

-Allie

Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

Hello.  I haven't seen this come up lately, but this issue sounds like it may be a little different - they are assembling a filename from drop down menus and the formula isn't working.  This one sounds like the serial number isn't getting placed into the correct variable, so it shows up blank. 

As soon as the file card pops up during the save, the serial number variable value is transferred.  To verify this, while the file card is still showing in SW (before selecting "OK" on the file card), open Windows Explorer and navigate to the file being saved.  Select the Preview tab and the data card tabs to see whether the variables are populated - they should be.

SPR 653454 applies to cards controlled by variables, so take a look to see if that applies.  The only thing I can think of is either permissions keeping the variables from updating or maybe if there are tabs involved, only the info on the visible tabs will transfer (old issue).  Since the file data card that pops up during save shows the serial number, it should show up in Windows - it's the same data card.

Best Regards,

Keith

Alison Hilditch

Hi again Keith!

Yea, I realized that they were talking about formulas, but I was hoping maybe some of it would translate...

I'm having the hardest time with geting the variables to transfer/populate. I understand what was going wrong with the folder card you helped me with, but now on the file cards, the process is slightly different.

Because my company is awesome we don't actually have the subscription service, so I can't check out the SPR's.

Keith Vittitoe wrote:

Since the file data card that pops up during save shows the serial number, it should show up in Windows - it's the same data card.

I think I got some bad information somewhere that had me thinking the template card was popping up (which I was wondering why they would ever do that in the first place--made no sense), What difference would it make which card, file or template, I put the serial number generation variable on? I know if I duplicate, I'll skip serial numbers. I am realizing I'm fuzzy on the relationship of template and file/folder cards.

Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

Howdy.  Variables in template cards have to be passed on to the file or folder they create via template variables.  Template variable are temporary variables that carry the value between the input on the template card and the file or folder card - just like the screenshot I sent earlier. - "t_variablename" when rmb on the folder within the template.

The likely reason serial numbers "skip" is the template takes one serial number and the file takes one when it is saved.

Keith

Alison Hilditch

Keith,

That makes sense and I understand that, but somewhere in there the data isn't transferring between the template card and the file card. This makes me think that the problem is in the actual template (like the folder card problem I had). Ther serial number  generation is only on one card and all the variables are correctly spelled. Most of the vairables transfer nicely except for part number, material (which is a drpdown), and mass (which is just a normal text field. I can't seem to identify what makes the broken variables different.

I'm working building the file card/template card piece by piece and testing, but I am still comming up with errors.

Tim Webb

Hi Alison! Good to see you again.

I think I may understand the issue but wanted to post a picture or two to see if I do.

It sounds as though the template variables may not be getting copied to your file card or folder card. Below I have an example of copying the "folder" variables from the template variables into the folder's variable values.

Here's the template right click for getting to the folder variables to copy to the folder.

Template right click.jpg

Here's what the variable setting box looks like before any variables get copied to the folder.

Template before copying variables.jpg

Here's after the variables are set to be copied to the folder.

Template after copying variables.jpg

Does this appear to be the situation?

Alison Hilditch

Hi Tim! Niec to see you!

Yes, I had this problem with the folder card the other day and have fixed it by doing just what you have posted; making sure that the folder copies the variables. But now, I am having trouble with the file card for my CAD check in.

Here is my initial input when the card pops up.

TEMPLATE.PNG

And here is what shows in on the file data card in the explorer window:

FILE.PNG

You can see that the Part NUmber, System, and Mass did not transfer.

I no the snap shot was taken of the default tab, but the @ tab has the same missing fields. Update all configs is selected for the variables and default overwrites is not checked.

When making a template, I do not have the option to RMB a folder and select properties to copy variables because it's not a folder, right?

Keith Vittitoe

Allie,

Unless the template is being used to create the SW file, the variables won't be transferred to the file.  If the template is used to create the folders, the file card has to be told to inherit the folder variables (Default Value = Folder Data card variable).

Keith

Alison Hilditch

Keith,

It should be creating a SW file and this is the metadata I want associated with each SW file. When I save into the vault, this card pops up, I fill it out and hit OK and it disappears, I open the vault view and click on the new SW file to view the file card (which is lacking the before mentioned variables filled out), I should then be able to check the part into the vault. The way I'm doing it, when you go to initially save the SW file, you choose what folder it goes in and any project variables are pulled from the folder card. This works fine. With the file card, I am not creating a new folder.