19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 6:57 AM by Nigel Blain

Parts, assemblies and drawings  disappearing?

Nigel Blain

Over the past few months we have had problems with parts, assemblies and drawings seeming to disappear from our server. The files seem to be being deleted, but no one has consciously done this. Unfortunately, we only know this has happened when the assembly, part or drawing is opened sometime later. For instance, today a simple assembly was opened, and all the bushes were there, but the underlying part had gone. Fortunately, we use a daily cloud backup, so much of this we have been able recover. The common link in all this is Solidworks, we don't seem have any such problems with files created by any other software package. I was therefore wondering if anyone here had ever experienced anything like this, or maybe it's something about the way we are using Solidworks (although we've used it for several years without any such issues) ?

(Just to mention, I am not the Solidworks user, just the guy trying to retrieve the lost files and figure out what the problem is)

TIA

NIgel

• Re: Parts, assemblies and drawings  disappearing?
          Glenn Schroeder

Nigel Blain wrote:

Over the past few months we have had problems with parts, assemblies and drawings seeming to disappear from our server. The files seem to be being deleted, but no one has consciously done this. Unfortunately, we only know this has happened when the assembly, part or drawing is opened sometime later. For instance, today a simple assembly was opened, and all the bushes were there, but the underlying part had gone. Fortunately, we use a daily cloud backup, so much of this we have been able recover. The common link in all this is Solidworks, we don't seem have any such problems with files created by any other software package. I was therefore wondering if anyone here had ever experienced anything like this, or maybe it's something about the way we are using Solidworks (although we've used it for several years without any such issues) ?

(Just to mention, I am not the Solidworks user, just the guy trying to retrieve the lost files and figure out what the problem is)

TIA

NIgel

I don't remember ever hearing of anything like that, but I have to ask this:  Bushes?  What bushes?

Wayne Schafer

Are all your parts , assemblies and drawings save in one folder/cloud location.  Do you have them saved in different folders at your cloud location?  If that is true how are you naming your part/assembly/drawings?  If you are using generic names and file in different folders could it be that you have the same name on different parts/assemblies.  If this is the case, this may be causing your problem.

Paul Risley

Making some assumptions on what you posted,

1. Your company is not using PDM.

2. Small group of designers

3.Parts are either suppressed because they cannot be found or are completlely gone altogether from the assembly?

My answer is no this is not a common problem.

Some common issues that cause situations like this are multiple assemblies opened with generic named parts in them that are common between the 2 assemblies.

Settings being changed in the software as to how it looks for referenced parts in an assembly. In other words how deep into file folders it will look before it stops looking for parts. This is a common issue in the settings get changed and the software stops looking for parts at a certain folder level. In this case if the parts are saved in a sub folder deeper in the network the software will not find them because the settings tell it not to look there for them.

If however you open an assembly and the parts are just gone from the assembly(not suppressed), this is an operator interface. Someone deleted the files then saved the assembly with the changes and the files being deleted. In my experience if the parts have lost file location or were deleted from the network without the assembly being opened and saved it has always opened with those parts being suppressed never removed from the assembly altogether.

Since you stated you are just looking into this on the behalf of your designers have them answer the basic question of are the parts suppressed in the assembly or are they gone entirely? This would be a good starting point for anyone to start helping you find an answer to what you are seeing.

Nigel Blain

Many thanks Paul

1. No not using PDM

2. Yes, just two CAD users siting next to each other

3. Parts/asemblies are gone from the server.

I know the parts have been deleted from the server, as I can tell from the backup logs that if a previously backed up file is subsequently deleted, then the log for that night shows files as "removed, but can be restored within 90 days".

The trouble is the guys do not consciously delete anything, but the issue always seem be associated with assemblies that have recently been opened. Typically, they will be working on something on a Friday, close it all down, come in on a Monday only to find that a part, or more commonly, sub assembly within an assembly have gone. It doesn't happen all the time, so trying to replicate is proving difficult.

You have sort of answered my question, in that it is not a common issue with Solidworks, which confirms what my general searches on the web found.

Nigel

Steve Calvert

I bet our FBI deleted them...

Steve C

David Nelson

You let the customer have access to your models not just the drawing.  Not good.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I would use some server tools to monitor file deletions and collect some data which may lead you to the problem.

Assuming Windows Server, there's WMI:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide - Monitoring File Deletion

I know of WMI existence but I have no working knowledge of it, other than I believe it has the capabilities to assist you with this investigation.

Cheers,

Kevin

EDIT: I believe that a file rename involves a deletion, but on this I could be incorrect.