88 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2018 12:55 PM by Jason Martin Branched to a new discussion.

what new app you'd most like for Solidworks?

Venessa Storm

Hi guys i'm an app developer and also a solidworks enthusiast!

I've recently been hired by a company to create a smartphone app (both android and iPhone) - BUT I need YOUR help to give me ideas what the app should do...?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something fun and cool, not too much "work" related, but something the user (the person) using solidworks would like to have on their phone

I'm trying to make this app go viral and spread across the world, there are over 2 million of us solidworks users and my dream is to have that many people using this app BUT I NEED YOUR HELP for that to work. I need to really be in touch with what you guys really would think is cool in an app?

Some ideas I had were:

- "napkin sketching" app that lets you freehand sketch on your phone/tablet and then instantly transfers it right into solidworks

- "UI Extension" app that puts buttons and gestures onto your phone so you can have a mini "keyboard" or GUI that does different solidworks commands (and it would look sweet too like alien symbols or something, lol)

- "Vibrate Notification" app that vibrates your phone either when an event happens (e.g. a simulation gets done) or it could maybe vibrate when two parts collide together, like force feedback!

But these were just off the top of my head, I REALLY NEED your help to direct me on what I should do?

What would YOU think is a cool and awesome app???

• Re: what new app you'd most like for Solidworks?
          Steve Calvert

ok, I'll bite..

I'd like to take a picture of that napkin sketch and have to turn into an actual SW file with the sketch ready to be dimensioned

Steve C

PS  I'd like the partial rights to this app, please

Glenn Schroeder

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything, but I'll give it some thought and reply back if something comes to mind.

Daen Hendrickson

Sounds like fun... since you have to do the work!

• Maybe an "eye candy" app that easily transfers model images to your phone's background - a slide show perhaps?
              • An app that pulls a SW screen shot into a text message
                • I often take a phone picture of my screen to send a quick inquiry to one of my vendors
              • Maybe an app that recognizes when you leave the office at the end of the day and takes care of transferring your SW license to home.

Daen

David Matula

Daen Hendrickson wrote:

Sounds like fun... since you have to do the work!

• Maybe an "eye candy" app that easily transfers model images to your phone's background - a slide show perhaps?
                  • An app that pulls a SW screen shot into a text message
                    • I often take a phone picture of my screen to send a quick inquiry to one of my vendors
                  • Maybe an app that recognizes when you leave the office at the end of the day and takes care of transferring your SW license to home.

Daen

thee ya go leave the office and take your SolidWorks license home.  Not one for me cause by the end of the day I am ready to get away from the computers but that could be case I am 300 years older than dirt.  Lots of guys like to go home and do some projects on the computer and that would be a good one. 

Rick Becker

The only thing I would want to do on my smart phone SolidWorks related would be to open a part, assembly and/or drawing from my companies server to show someone. Considering the extremely small screen, and limited hardware, I would still like to be able to zoom and move around quickly.

I sure as others chime in, I will have additional wiz-bang features I would like.

Good luck Venessa Storm

Josef Kasik

Great idea Venessa!

Maybe sketching with touch gestures, then save to block sldblk and send it to your email or cloud.

Tony Cantrell

Maybe an app that could share your computer screen to a phone.

Christian Chu

I have eDrawing Pro on my iPad/iPhone and love the AR feature - Excellent tool for demo/presentation

I'd vote for "napkin sketching"  as I believe it'd save people time

The best part is, you never lose your sketch as Jerry Seinfeld lost the jokes he planned on using on "The Tonight Show" sine Lupe (hotel maid) accidentally threw out the napkin while cleaning the room

S. Casale

I'll bite as well.

- I think one primary feature of this app is the ability to visually manipulate the models (rotate, pan, add color to specific features or parts). No geometric modification.

- E-Drawings has the ability to add the visualization of a component on a surface behind the phone using a sheet of paper with a design on it. Imaging not having to use the paper - sort of what the Nintendo 3Ds can do.

- Allowing it to mirror to another screen with HI RES would be a big plus . HI RES, I think that's a feature of the device (lending for hardware acceleration options?)

Otherwise, I don't use my phone for SW.

Wojciech Paterski

I do like the idea with additional commands on the phone.

Maybe even do something like, with phones that have gyroscopes ( most of them now), allow to select point in space of the SW part/assembly and then by taking phone and rotating it in hands it would rotate assembly on the screen.

Francisco Martínez

For larger teams a app that could track progress of certain team members progress would be great.

On the pdm side it would be amazing for design review and approving/rejecting files.

And for the drawing side of things I think that would not be a good experince, I have tried others and drawing on a touch screen was like herding wild cats.

Matt Peneguy

Okay, I don't know if this is even possible, but I'll throw it out there.

How about using the phone camera to generate a 3D image of an object in SWX?  Is it possible, I don't know...But, it'd be cool.

Roland Schwarz

Turn smart phone into 3D mouse. Have CAD part change position/move/rotate as phone does.

Matt Peneguy

Roland Schwarz,

I'm no programmer, but what you suggested should be amazingly simple and would be a great tool for things like presentations.  I really think this is a great idea!  Imagine being able to 3D mouse a model during a presentation to your boss or the client!

Edit to Add: Think about all those SWW presentations that could dive right into the model with the presenter's phone.  I really think this is a great idea.  And like I said above, I don't think it'd be too hard.

Ivana Kolin

I would like to use iPad + iPen as trackpad with Solidworks.

Eric Blankinship

tbh I have no idea what I could use in a SolidWorks app

I use SolidWorks for design at work and due to the confidentiality of stuff pretty much I'm not allowed to take any design info outside of the office. (besides what I keep in my brain of course )  So anything I did on the app would require it to be unilateral so that I could do stuff outside of work and transfer it to my work computer but wouldn't work vice versa.  I wouldn't want to have some sort of risk where if I lost my phone someone could (theoretically) steal my companies designs.  Also for this same reason there'd need to be some sort of encryption on the software itself so that if people did want to do design work on it, it'd require them to log in and have an auto-timeout feature if they went so long of innactivity.

Paul Risley

On board camera app that allows for base vector recognition.

An example would be site mapping for equipment, if I am taking pictures of proposed equipment sites with existing equipment the app would allow for instant conversion of outlines of equipment in photos that can come in on solidworks as direct line elements.

Typically we have to base model these to create the part to mock up an existing piece of equipment. Not a big deal, but I could certainly see a market for some functionality along these lines.

Another example would be reverse engineering a part sitting on my desk. I f I take a picture of it and the app could convert the picture to the rough outline it would give a great snapshot of final scale. I know this is asking alot out of an app to be able to take a picture and basically run a program inherent in solidworks (Autotrace). But since we are talking about apps that could be beneficial I for one could use it.

Another app would be to put #task as a viable app on your phone linked into your computer(if you have the ability) to access your computer remotely. Picture this it is Saturday afternoon and you are doing whatever you do with your free time, and you suddenly remember you were supposed to run off the print package for your next job Friday before you left work. With this app you could batch print your files, convert to pdf/DXF all from your phone in a matter of minutes. Go into work Monday and there are your prints and your network has all of the appropriate files stored as needed.

On a side note regarding the first mentioned app, if that seems far fetched how about an app for the camera function that overlays an existing grid that can be used in conjunction with the grid unit in Solidworks so we could lay out our picture on a nominal plane and adjust our grids to scale the picture appropriately?

Since our phones are now competing with our computers for power I would say the only limit to this conversation would be screen size. As far as models/ e-drawings, I use an I-pad for most of that anyways. I am thinking more of the phone is always on me and when I am on site with a customer I want intuitive functionality that helps me further a current project.

Deepak Gupta

Here are some ideas (already stated by others):

1. Do free hand sketches which later can be transmitted.
                                            2. Control the model using the smartphone App (there used be to be one but I'm not sure if that still exits).
                                            3. Notifications about events like Simulation or rendering completed.
                                              Edward Poole

Venessa, Good question! I'm really tied-up at the moment, but if I think of anything, i'll be sure to post.

I must note that Daen Hendrickson  posted some great ideas above that would interest me!

Matthew Turner

Stop people from spoofing my caller id, so that I get calls to myself from myself?

Dan Pihlaja

Venessa Storm wrote:

Hi guys i'm an app developer and also a solidworks enthusiast!

I've recently been hired by a company to create a smartphone app (both android and iPhone) - BUT I need YOUR help to give me ideas what the app should do...?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something fun and cool, not too much "work" related, but something the user (the person) using solidworks would like to have on their phone

I'm trying to make this app go viral and spread across the world, there are over 2 million of us solidworks users and my dream is to have that many people using this app BUT I NEED YOUR HELP for that to work. I need to really be in touch with what you guys really would think is cool in an app?

Some ideas I had were:

- "napkin sketching" app that lets you freehand sketch on your phone/tablet and then instantly transfers it right into solidworks

- "UI Extension" app that puts buttons and gestures onto your phone so you can have a mini "keyboard" or GUI that does different solidworks commands (and it would look sweet too like alien symbols or something, lol)

- "Vibrate Notification" app that vibrates your phone either when an event happens (e.g. a simulation gets done) or it could maybe vibrate when two parts collide together, like force feedback!

But these were just off the top of my head, I REALLY NEED your help to direct me on what I should do?

What would YOU think is a cool and awesome app???

OK, I really like the notification tie-in to Solidworks.

I would like to see the ability to select, view and print drawing from the App (assuming that I am connected to the same network as a valid printer)

An AR feature (like this one: Amazon adds an AR shopping feature to its iOS app | TechCrunch ) that allows you to see your parts in real world environments.  Even if it just for a screen shot to show the boss.

Chris Saller

There is existing software for scanning with smart phones. I would like it to go further and get better to walk up to an object, scan with my cell phone, then link it to SolidWorks.

Also, the ability to write macros, API, custom properties, or ?? on the phone anywhere with cloud computing and not have to linkup to a server or remote desktop. A simple on-the-fly check.

Lenny Bucholz

sorry don't use any SW apps for my phone and probably never will

Ingvar Magnusson

Venessa Storm I like the napkin idea. Free hand sketches which can later be transmitted as Deepak Gupta is mentioning and make them usable in SOLIDWORKS. I have looked at the sketchbook app from Autodesk and I like the idea of free hand sketching on a pad or a phone. A lot of times I start my designs with a pencil and a paper, I have though been an everyday SOLIDWORKS user since 1999. If I could do my mock up design in a pad or on a phone and use it later in SOLIDWORKS would be something I would like to have a look at.

I also like the idea if there was an app that would monitor the percentage left of a simulation or a rendering. Sometimes I am rendering at home and watching tv in another room and standing up from time to time to see how much is left. If I could just look at the app and see how the process where going would be nice.

Alex Lachance

Love the idea. I don't really use eDrawings though so these might already be existant and I have no idea about it. Anyways...

I don't know about everyone else but I find that the free version of eDrawings is riddled with bugs and that makes working with it just that much harder. It seems as if it is made with the intent to piss people off to the point that they'd rather buy the eDrawings Pro then continue working with it.

WIth that said, if your program could do everything eDrawings does without all the chopiness that eDrawings has, that would be great. Perhaps you could have the layout be more similar to SolidWorks too (Why have them so different in the first place...) . Have it have a featuremanager and have the selections be highlighted in the featuremanager just like in SolidWorks.Sometimes people know where a part is, what it looks like but they don't know the part number. I find that browsing through your assembly's tree in eDrawings is difficult and having this would surely make stuff easier.

I like the one suggested that would send notifications to your cellphone to tell you that a specific task has ended, though that would have to be synced with the program on your computer which I find hard.

An isolate feature would be pretty cool too, I like isolating in SolidWorks to see things better.

As  Matt Peneguy stated, if it would be possible for a phone to do 3D scanning of objects, that would be awesome. It would probably ruin all the 3D scanning companies but who cares?

Dan Pihlaja Christian Chu It is available in the 3$ version on mobile too, though I don't really see the use of it because the way it works is you print a QR code on a sheet and then point your mobile at it and the QR code will generate a model in your camera. As I said, I don't really see the use.

Edit: The use I would have for it would be a lot more shop oriented then drawing oriented to be honest. I don't see myself trying to draw on a 3" x 6" phone.

M. D.

I think you should start off with a Solidworks viewer, even an edrawings viewer app.  This way if we have an email with Solidworks parts/drawings, we can open those attachments on our phone.

EDIT:  Mabye a Virtual Reality Viewer, where the assembly/part can stay stationary in virtual space and it uses the gyroscope and GPS so when you move around around with your phone you see the assembly from a different angle, and as you walk back and forward it zooms out and in so it is as if your phone is a peephole into a virtual world with your assembly in it.

Paul Salvador

..there is/was something kind of like this... InfinityDRAW RedLine

Michael Lord

I agree with your thoughts.  I don't see a need to use a SOLIDWORKS App for modeling.

I particularly like the thought of a UI extension.  I can see the benefit of having the phone sitting next to the keyboard to be able to select programed features (duplicated SOLIDWORKS icons)

Or to use as a touch pad to zoom & rotate a model.

Addition to simulation would be Notification for completion of rendering.

All the best with it.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with

Duncan Gillis

Lots of interesting ideas so far, i'll keep thinking!

But mine would be the photo to rough outline/sketch as well.

Kirkwood Hines

Just give me AR that actually works. The system in E-Drawings barley works at all and doesn't look very good. At one of the SWX Worlds I went to, just before bBnkspeed turned into SWX Visualize, the bunkspeed crew had AR cards and an app you could download to display a model car on the card. It was so smooth and rendered beautifully.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to pull out E-Drawings AR in front of a client or boss and quickly been disappointed by the lagging, lack of photo realism and terrible marker tracking.

Ryan McVay

Create an app that allows you to use your phone screen a 3D mouse type input. Connect via Bluetooth. The GUI would allow you to select what type of rotation, speed, and panning along with zoom. Granted you won't be able to get the twist and zoom without a third axis but maybe could be done with an icon?

Or allow your phone screen to be like the original tablets. Assign functions to areas of the screen. On-touch commands to launch macros.

Turn the phone into a 10-key pad for entering values!

Christian Chu

Just wondering you much you guys willing to pay for something like this (on window/android phone, not iPhone)

Rick Becker

Christian Chu wrote:

Just wondering you much you guys willing to pay for something like this (on window/android phone, not iPhone)

$3.99

Christian Chu

Rick,

The low end 3D mouse costs about $99 such as space navigator which only provides the users the ability to manipulate the 3D model such as zoom in/out, rotate and span and extra couple programmable keys.

If these features can be added to smart phone, the users don't need to carry extra mouse

Putting an apps on window store costs the programmer 2 fees

1) Annual Fee

2)30% of each sale/download

So $3.99 is a fair price?

Rick Becker

Christian Chu wrote:

...The low end 3D mouse costs about $99 such as space navigator which only provides the users the ability to manipulate the 3D model such as zoom in/out, rotate and span and extra couple programmable keys.

If these features can be added to smart phone, the users don't need to carry extra mouse

Putting an apps on window store costs the programmer 2 fees

1) Annual Fee

2)30% of each sale

So $3.99 is a fair price?

First off Christian, you are thinking like the programmer who has given maybe hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears to develop this wiz-bang app.

I am thinking like the end user. My phone is my phone. If my boss wants to save a few bucks and get me an app instead of a true 3D controller for my road warrior visits, I will ask him what I cost per year and how it will look to his potential customers especially if my battery dies in the middle of a presentation.  Carrying an extra bit of hardware is part of my job. Even if it's his phone, the app must have a better human interface to abandon what I use daily, i am comfortable with and I am productive with.

Secondly, you asked me what I would be willing to pay, not what it is worth. I don't imagine I would pay much more for something I won't use very often (except to show off to my friends).

Lastly, you ask if $3.99 is a fair price?  Define fair? From my point of view or yours?

I don't know if it's fair and I don't care. Make it $19.99, $39.99, $99.99, $129.99 or more and I won't purchase it.

Want my 4 bucks? I'll give it to you. More? Probably not until the app in indispensable TO ME.

Signed,

End User

Rick Becker

One more thought Christian,

Would you rather sell one hundred thousand copies at $3.99 or one thousand copies at $99.99?

Christian Chu

Rick,

I think it's a question Vanessa and her boss have in mind - That's why they want the feedback from the end users before starting developing the apps

if the apps can be hit hundred of thousands downloadings, then $3.99 or less can make good returns - The question is how many SW users  want the app?

I don't intend make living based on writing the apps  as long as I can make up the time I spend and the apps has my name on it

Alex Lachance

I know the original question was about a SolidWorks application but I think some outside the box thinking should be done here.

3D isn't limited to SolidWorks, it goes on DraftSight, AutoCAD, Google Maps, Google Earth and many more programs.

If the app were to be developped as a sort of 3D mouse, then it could be made to work with other programs, just like any 3D mouse. It wouldn't be limited by SolidWorks, so the question would be ''How many users would like an app like that'' instead of being ''How many SW users would like an app like that''.

I feel like the more I we post on this thread the more I am we are  doing a part of their work

Rick Becker

Christian Chu wrote:

...if the apps can be hit hundred of thousands downloadings, then $3.99 or less can make good returns - The question is how many SW users want the app?...

Make it cheap enough and you can have 2.5mm users world wide (multi language app?) who, like me, would probably toss a few bucks at a SW app. Hell, I've spent $4.99 for an Angry Birds app once.

Make it expensive and what percentage of the user base will be willing to purchase?

Alex Lachance

That sums up my idea as well.

I don't see the program as something to replace the 3D mouse but more as a program that could be used as a 3D mouse if you happened to forget yours.

I wouldn't be willing to pay 25$ for a program on a cellphone that I would partially use. Not only because of the partial use but also because of how unreliable the touch is on most phones. I'd want to use it as a last resort, not as an everyday tool. Of course if it were to be developed to be this precise and be an everyday tool, then it would be well worth the cost(even if it's more then 25$)

IMO there should be a cheap version at like 3.99$ that gives the basics and a full version that costs X ammount of dollars.

Josh Brady

Ryan McVay wrote:

Create an app that allows you to use your phone screen a 3D mouse type input. Connect via Bluetooth. The GUI would allow you to select what type of rotation, speed, and panning along with zoom. Granted you won't be able to get the twist and zoom without a third axis but maybe could be done with an icon?

Or allow your phone screen to be like the original tablets. Assign functions to areas of the screen. On-touch commands to launch macros.

Turn the phone into a 10-key pad for entering values!

Just to expand on the 3D mouse input thing a bit... Rather than holding your phone (which is usually not shaped particularly ergonomically), use the phone camera.  Have a small printable target (similar to the one for eDrawings augmented reality) that you can paste onto anything you want. 

Christian Chu

Josh,

It's very interesting idea. Do you mind to explain more? Thx

Josh Brady

Christian Chu wrote:

Josh,

Pretty simple in theory... I don't have a good idea in practice how stable/smooth it would be.

eDrawings app for mobile has the Augmented Reality function where you print out a specific target on paper and set it on your desk.  The app knows what size that target is and its geometry.  It takes the phone image of the target to analyze where it is in 3D space, then superimposes the model view in the screen image.

My idea would be similar in that the user would print out some known image/target on paper.  They could then paste it onto any object (with a large enough flat surface to paste onto).  Set the phone on the desk and hold the target anywhere within the viewing space.  The app analyzes the target's location/motion/etc and translates into movements in SolidWorks.  Model movement on screen would not be intended to exactly match the target's motion, but rather be similar to the way a 3-D mouse works.  The amount of movement/twist away from a "neutral" position governs the direction/speed of rotation/pan/zoom in the model view.

I'm not sure if image processing speed/latency/etc would make the response too sluggish... Just throwing out an idea that's at least theoretically possible on some level.

Christian Chu

Josh Brady wrote:

Christian Chu wrote:

Josh,

Pretty simple in theory... I don't have a good idea in practice how stable/smooth it would be.

eDrawings app for mobile has the Augmented Reality function where you print out a specific target on paper and set it on your desk. The app knows what size that target is and its geometry. It takes the phone image of the target to analyze where it is in 3D space, then superimposes the model view in the screen image.

My idea would be similar in that the user would print out some known image/target on paper. They could then paste it onto any object (with a large enough flat surface to paste onto). Set the phone on the desk and hold the target anywhere within the viewing space. The app analyzes the target's location/motion/etc and translates into movements in SolidWorks. Model movement on screen would not be intended to exactly match the target's motion, but rather be similar to the way a 3-D mouse works. The amount of movement/twist away from a "neutral" position governs the direction/speed of rotation/pan/zoom in the model view.

I'm not sure if image processing speed/latency/etc would make the response too sluggish... Just throwing out an idea that's at least theoretically possible on some level.

Thank you, Josh

I have eDrawing Pro on my iPhone and iPad and really love the AR feature

Anyway I like your idea as I've been working with kids from my son's middle school on Robotic Arm project which requires to translate the computer to real world coordinates and the bad thing is I never got it right. Your idea here might help me solve the issue I have

David Matula

something that does come around all the time.  We get the data sheets for parts.  Disclaimers all the time that the dims may not be what the actual model will be.  That or we have to go out to the shop and take some measurements and take some pictures.  So the app of the day is a 3d model from a picture.

another would be to search the web for 3d model that we could download from a picture that would narrow the results down to a more accurate showing of what we are really looking for vs the 50000 parts that show up cause that have a similar name but are not what we want at all.

John Burrill

Yeah, anything to make importing flexboard pcb's and forming them to an irriegular shape easier would be king.

Right now, I'm doing this with sheet metal tools and it's a little slice of hell getting all of the tracks to bend to the final shape.

Unlike conventional sheet metal applications, there are hundreds of bodies to work with and each track contains hundreds of verticies, so you wind up with something that's slow, labor intensive and blows up Solidworks.

Unable_to_make_the feature_as_specified.png

flexbboard_hell1.PNG

So a specialized plug-in that can optimize IDF or DXF imported geometry for the board, traces, (top and bottom), stiffeners and then bend it over an existing shape would be king.  If you can also transform mates to board components so that they don't have to be recreated when the board is bent, that's be a big bonus.

Jason Martin

I haven't read all of the replied to this thread, but here goes:

I'm not sure if this is possible, but couldn't you just use your phone's camera to make a 3d image of a part (like scan the part). i'm sure someone who is a computer wiz can use the accelerometer or some other feature in the phone to find the location, distance, of such object in a specific area of the screen.

Doesnt the camera have a sensor that detects distances to calibrate the focus of the camera?

You could then use that to import into solidworks on the fly, and on the spot, and have it 3d printed.