7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 2:01 PM by Logan Pegler

PDF export sheet total incorrect

Logan Pegler

Hi there,

We are successfully using PDM to export our PDF's and DXF's from SolidWorks drawing files.

The DXF task takes any drawing file with a sheet labelled DXF and outputs this.

The PDF task takes any drawing file and outputs all sheets EXCEPT those labelled DXF.

As a whole this is working great, however one small issue we noticed was that due to the PDF task excluding the DXF page, the total number of sheets indicated on the title block is incorrect in the pdf. The titleblock on a page in the PDF would read 'Page 1 of 3', when there are only 2 sheets exported to DXF. As this is a property on the title block I don't think it is something we could change in the PDF task so I was wondering if anyone out there had any sneaky solutions I can't think of.

Some catches:

We cannot export the DXF out from the part file as we need to add grain direction + we have a small titleblock in the DXF containing important information about plate size, part number etc. This is not something we wish to add manually afterwards.

We don't wish to manage the DXF sheet as a separate drawing file inside PDM as there could be a chance it falls out of date with updates to the file.

Not all drawings have a DXF page, so for some it currently reads correct. This means we can't have a "Total Sheets - 1" property or similar.

Look forward to seeing some extra suggestions!

• Re: PDF export sheet total incorrect
          Jason Young

Can you not add a grain direction symbol into the face of the parts???

this would allow you to use the DXF output.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Logan,

Two possible solutions:

A) When printing the drawings to pdf I run a macro that deletes all sheets with "dxf" in the name. Then exports out to pdf without saving the file. That updates the sheet count correctly

B) You can add static sheet numbering i.e. 1 of 5. There is a macro in this forum that adds a note to sheets and filters sheet names. Just like option A. It just doesn't auto update. You need to run the macro to update the numbering if you change the sheet package.

C) I advise people that plate drawing usually shows a incorrect sheet number. They know that in most cases where it says 1 of 2 that the missing 2 of 2 is a dxf sheet.

That works in some cases. If you need strict document control then you need to go to A or B or D (some other idea)

Elmar

Logan Pegler

Hi Elmar,

Option A sounds like the cleanest method as we may be able to integrate this into the task script in PDM so that it does this before exporting the PDF. Would it be possible for you to share this macro?

I'm not sure option B will be remembered by each engineer as new drawings are created so that would leave us with either your option C or leaving the DXF page in, each has their pros and cons.

Greg Hertvik

What's the harm of having the pdf incorporate all sheets?  (i.e. don't remove the "dxf's sheets")  We do something similar here.  Everything is a pdf & we have a separate dxf for lasered parts.