4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 12:08 PM by Dan Pihlaja

BOM template and CPTB

Rebecca Bemrose-Fetter

My office is getting ready to update from SW2015 to SW2017. I will be leading/managing this upgrade as I am the SW "pro" in our office.

I am taking the opportunity to add details and functionality to our drawings, templates, title block and BOMs that has been requested by purchasing and manufacturing.

One of those details involves using CPTB to create a conditional list so that the BOM sent to purchasing can include the Vendor No used in their system, which is different from the Vendor. I have created a list where the SW user chooses the Vendor and then the sub-list Vendor No forces them to select the Vendor No used by purchasing.

This is my first time using CPTB, we have traditionally done all our custom properties in the Summary Information window. I would like to get my colleagues to only use either the Summary Information pane or the Custom Properties Tab, but not both. Since we need the conditional list, it seems we will have to use CPTB, which is fine.

Other custom properties we need include links to dimensions - e.g. bounding box and thickness for sheet metal parts, size and length of template parts like structural steel, etc. I want to maintain that data as links, not hard-typed dimensions. How do I show those values in the Custom Properties Tab? I don't want my colleagues to have to fill out the default info all the time, but we do usually (manually) preface the item description with "MOD: " if the part has detail (e.g. holes, cutouts, etc. - is not just a raw material cut to size). How do I continue this?

Also, we have used values in our BOM template for our drawings that shows information for manufacturing, namely whether a part is vendor supplied (purchased off the shelf), outsourced (custom made outside our shop), saw cut and/or detailed. We have set the values for those custom properties as either blank or X. If I use CPTB, I can set those as checkmark boxes, but then how do I change the BOM template to show a mark like an X rather than "unchecked"?

• Re: BOM template and CPTB
          Matt Peneguy

Firstly, see the Crusty Old Template File Gotcha and do not use Copy Settings Wizard to bring your settings forward.  I'm convinced that step corrupted my install of SWX causing me to have to do a "clean install".

I want to maintain that data as links, not hard-typed dimensions. How do I show those values in the Custom Properties Tab? I don't want my colleagues to have to fill out the default info all the time, but we do usually (manually) preface the item description with "MOD: " if the part has detail (e.g. holes, cutouts, etc. - is not just a raw material cut to size). How do I continue this?

Could you  add a Length and a Depth Custom Property and have the users make their dimensions equal to the Length and Depth properties as part of their models?

Without some examples, it's a little hard to see exactly what you are after.

Regarding your BOM question.  I think you can use an IF statement to display what you want in an equation:

IF(`Check` = "True";"X";" ")

But I'm not sure how those check boxes work in CPTB and what their value equates to.

Bjorn Hulman

Hi Rebecca,

I think CPTB can do everything you are after.

For information like the bounding box size, add these into your part template, if you want, you can show these on the CPT, but set them to read-only so they can't be over-written.

For the checkbox, you can change the value of 'Checked' to anything you like. If there are fields specific only when the checkbox is checked, you can then set other fields to show when that checkbox is checked using the advanced options.

Carrie Ives

Rebecca,

Related to lists in the CPTB, internal lists seem to be faster. Excel may make it easier to update if you have to update it regularly.

Custom property tab builder lists - Which is better - Excel vs internal list?

You don't have to put all the properties that are in the custom properties tab into CPTB. Users can change the properties either place. For items that don't usually change, just put them on the custom properties tab.

On your "X" question, add properties that tie to that. For example, we have a custom property "Watermark" that has a button in our CPTB. If you select the draft button, it puts "Draft" into that property. It empties the property if you select empty. (This is the watermark on our drawing.)

In the past, we had two categories that gave manufacturing the information they wanted. "Type" set to either "standard" (purchased off the shelf) or "custom". Then we had a "Process" category that had a list for us to pick from "molded", "sheet metal", "die cut", "other" are some of the processes.  We had "other" for the special cases that weren't standard. Then we could discuss what needed to happen to get that made. If manufacturing is used to the BOM format you show, you probably don't want to change.

I don't know that I answered all your questions, but hopefully this helps point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Carrie

Dan Pihlaja

As far as the links to dimensions and whatnot:

The CPTB will not show the "Evaluated Value".  So your CPTB can have the syntax to link to a dimension, but will not actually show the value of the dimension.  If you want to see that, you will have to either open the Custom Properties dialog or link it to a note somewhere.