10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 6:00 AM by Nick Tzallas

Diameter Symbol Not Showing in Feature Sketch Dimensions

Nick Tzallas

I seem to be having some trouble with the Diameter Symbol not showing up in the diameter Dimensions of features.

This is not the same as the <MOD-DIA> issue

I dimension the sketch as a diameter across a centerline and yet the Diameter symbol does not appear in the dimension. Nor does it carry over into the drawing.

I though that maybe a made a mistake and the sketch dimension was recognized as linear instead of diametrical/radial but if you click on the dimension it does give you the option to switch to radial. Also the leader options in the dimensions property manager do have radial/ diametrical selections available

So I would assume that it is indeed being picked up as a diameter dimension

Is there some setting in my document properties or somewhere else that I have forgotten to select/deselect? or anything else I might have missed?

This is driving me bonkers

Using a slightly modified ANSI document property standard

SW 2016 SP 3.0

Win10 Pro 64bit

Untitled.jpg

• Re: Diameter Symbol Not Showing in Feature Sketch Dimensions
          Josef Kasik

Hello Nick,

The first is SolidWorks application restart, turn it off and on again, you know Next, maybe try to check, if the gtol.sym file is not corrupted. In the default you can find it here - C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2016\lang\english. Try to copy another gtol.sym file from a computer with no issues. The last think what I can recommend is try to use default file templates with a default Drafting Standard.

Hope it helps.

1 person found this helpful
              Nick Tzallas

Thank you Josef Kasik

I tried the SW restart and there is no difference I'm afraid

gtol.sym file does not seem to be corrupted. However, if someone has a confirmed uncorrupted copy of the gtol.sym file from SW 2016 and they could upload here so I could try it out, that would be a great help

That said, logically (?) it should not be a symbol library corruption issue since the <MOD-DIAM> symbol does indeed:

• exist
              • comes up when typing <MOD-DIAM> manually in dimensions
              • manually clicking the symbol to add it to dimensions
              • appears automatically as it should in other diameter dimensions of feature sketches (e.g. extrusion boss profile below screen shot)

In the same part file, one profile feature from an extrusion does display the diameter symbol correctly, whilst in the revolved cut feature sketch it seems to not be picked up as per original post.

Below screenshot: if i add it manually symbol appears in the dimensions in question.

below  section of the screenshot, shows existing automatically recognized diameter symbol placed in an extruded boss feature.

both from same part file

So I guess this would imply that it isn't a symbol library corruption (??)

Just thinking out loud.....Is there any chance this could be because the dimensions are linked to global variables ?

Untitled.jpg

Nick Tzallas

Does anyboday have any further insight on this?

It is driving me mental. Can't figure it out.