10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2018 2:48 AM by Neil Gabie

Must a sketch of a logo be fully defined?

Neil Gabie

Hello All,

Let me preface this post with a profound thank you. As a beginner-to-intermediate SW user, I make frequent reference to these forums and can usually resolve my issues without posting. So again, thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge!

My question: I primarily use SW for weldment, machined component, and sheet metal design. As I gain competence, I'm tackling more and more complex sheet metal models. I have read through various tutorials and YouTube content, yet have been unable to get "good" or "fast" at transferring a company logo onto a part. In a perfect world, I'd like to convert a company logo into a sketch and save it, then reference it again and again for future parts, pasting it into the location on the part. For those of you with sheet metal/laser cutting experience, must the sketch of logo be fully defined? If so, how might one go about fully defining a complex, organic sketch shape quickly? Does anyone have any tips or go-to tutorials for instructing this process?

This Nike logo is a good example of the "complexity" of a logo I might wish to add to a sheet metal part for laser cutting.

nike.png

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.

• Re: Must a sketch of a logo be fully defined?
          Paul Salvador

Hello Neil,

imho,.. you do NOT have to fully define a sketch..  there are some users who need to fully control/constrain entities which makes them and their company "feel" safe(r) because they,.. feel better feeling more secure... if you know what I mean?

So, for your case. to be FULLY fuzzy constrained secure and make everyone feel all safe and comfortable,.. just "FIX" the whole sketch (black).

fixge 1.png

Swapnil Dhake

Hi Neil,

Further I would suggest to make it a block and then it's easier to control size of logo on different parts.

@ Paul

I beg to differ. I am one of such users who prefers fully constrained sketch .

Not to "feel" safe but to "be" safe. I mean if a sketch is not fully defined, there are chances if someone by mistake drags a line then the part is no longer the same and the one who did it is not aware of it. If sketch is fixed and later if it has to be altered then it's a time consuming job. e.g., If I have a couple of holes which are symmetric to some reference and then I want to change distance between them then all I have to do in fully defined sketch is change dimension between points (of course, if provided they are created by hole wizard and constrained symmetric) and then I am done. If it's sketch only with fixed points with no relations and no dimensions, then it'll eat up time and chances are more that I'll end up in wrong positions of holes.

Also, I can define who depends on who if sketch is fully/partially defined/constrained, but not fixed.

In this particular case I agree with you on not defining a sketch fully.

Paul Salvador

Hello Swapnil,.. very good additional Block suggestion.. and agree, that is in-line with Neils' question.

..as for the need to fully constrain a sketch and having the option to fixed the entities.. and further howz and whyz with logic and non-logic behind each ocd approach,.. imho,.. to each his own.

..would be fun to see someone fully constrain the Nike sketch..  let the ocd'ers at it!

Thomas Voetmann

I would make a sketch block. You will then be able to constrain and scale the logo as a whole. You will get the best of both worlds - not having to constrain everything in your logo and a fully constrained sketch.

I have made a couple of library features (different sizes) containing company logo in a frame cut 0,2mm deep. This is for use in molded parts but you can use the same technique for engraved logo or Up to Next for cut out logo.

Josef Kasik

Hello everyone!

You can convert image of Nike logo to SolidWorks sketch really fast with an Autotrace addin. Here is a youtube tutorial in english  SolidWorks Autotrace - YouTube

Next you can create a block from a sketch entities. It improves ability to work with them.

Glenn Schroeder

It's not absolutely necessary to fully define a sketch, but you might want to anyway, just to be sure it doesn't get altered by accident.  One option is to right-click on a sketch entity and choose "Fully Define Sketch..." from the drop-down.

That will open up a property manager with several options.

Neil Gabie

Hello Glenn,

I've heeded your advice and tried out the "fully define sketch" command on a few quick examples. Works great. I also played around with confining the complex sketch (the logo) inside of a manually defined sketched rectangle on the part, which is useful for defining the area on the part in which to locate the logo.

Very helpful. Thanks for replying! 

Christian Chu

When I read the title, I thought about the sketch block

then I read more replies and found out, you guys really read my mind