7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 12:34 PM by John Matrishon

Mass update of EPDM files after SolidWorks/EPDM upgrade.

Eddie Pellegrin

Good Morning, I was looking into the task scheduler to automate an update to the files currently in our EPDM vault from 2016 to 2018, however it appears at first glance that I would have to have all of the files checked out at once and upon completion, I would have to then check them all back in? Does anyone know of a way to automate this to check out a file, update it, save it, then check it back in and move onto the next? Is this something that has to be done on the sql side? Thanks for the help.

• Re: Mass update of EPDM files after SolidWorks/EPDM upgrade.
          Jim Sculley

There is a tool included with EPDM specifically for this.  It is called the File Version Upgrade Tool.

Steven Dod

If you have a lot of files I recommend using the multiple workstation method in the File Version Upgrade Tool.  This will break up the task into multiple sessions which can be restarted if an error occurs.  If you use a single workstation for the task and an error occurs you will have to restart from scratch.  I have not gotten it to recognize what is already upgraded and it will go through every file in your vault.

In previous versions anyway, I also noticed it did no good to run through parts first, then assemblies, then drawings (or similar method) because, again, it will not recognize the files that were already upgraded and it will go through every single file in the vault each time due to the references.

Good Luck,

Steve D.

John Matrishon

How many folks are using this as a regular practice?   In Workgroup you could skate around this, because it was easy to save the files locally and upgrade them "locally" and then only check in the top level.  Years of that practice leaves files out of date and PDM Pro or Standard doesn't let you get away with that very easily.

What are the drawbacks or issues that could arise with the Version Upgrade Tool?

JM

Jim Sculley

John Matrishon wrote:

How many folks are using this as a regular practice? In Workgroup you could skate around this, because it was easy to save the files locally and upgrade them "locally" and then only check in the top level. Years of that practice leaves files out of date and PDM Pro or Standard doesn't let you get away with that very easily.

What are the drawbacks or issues that could arise with the Version Upgrade Tool?

JM

I've used the File Version Upgrade Tool several times with mixed results:

File Version Upgrade Tool Hides Drawing Views  (2009 upgrading to 2012)

File Version Upgrade

File Version Upgrade Utility Problem

Restoring from Backups (2013 upgrading to 2015)

I recall only one upgrade where I didn't have problems of some sort.

Two weeks ago I upgraded from 2016 to 2017.  I set aside the entire weekend to update our 80,000 files.  I kicked things off at 6 PM Friday evening with 10 workstations doing the work.  Saturday morning, every machine had an error connecting to the vault and I had to kill the processes leaving thousands of files still checked out.  I had to undo the check out on all of them.  I also had to fix a bunch of references that were preventing check in, even though these were all files checked in to the vault previously.  I then restarted the whole process and by Sunday afternoon, it all finished without any errors.

Since the upgrade, I've come across drawings where the views have been hidden (as in my post above).  When I open some assemblies, they say they cannot file file X in its original location, do I want to load from the new location, even though nothing was moved.  Other than that, the files all appear to have upgraded properly.  I always only upgrade the latest version of each file by creating a new version and moving the revision.  This requires the least time and the least hard drive space during the upgrade process.

The tool has been reworked for 2018.  You can read about it in the What's New guide.  I won't be upgrading to 2018 for a while so I cannot report on the changes.

When you do this, you have to have a plan and you have to give yourself enough time.  If you use multiple workstations, each one has to have the new version of SW/EPDM installed along with the Upgrade Tool.  I prepped all the machines several days in advance  so I didn't waste precious time during my weekend window.

If something goes wrong, you cannot panic.  You have to pause and think logically about what the next step should be so that you don't make things worse.  For example, if I had checked in all the files after the workstations lost their connection to the vault, that would mess up the file revision numbers and I would have had a much larger problem to address.

John Matrishon

Thanks Jim.  Yeah, I've been reading about some of the issues plaguing the Upgrade tool.  Our VAR has their own tool to accomplish this that comes at a price, but is more configurable.  This might be the way to go as it would let them take the responsibility for making sure it functions correctly.   I'm looking at both scenarios at the moment.    I do like how PDM is kind of forcing you to upgrade each file, but that means the person trying to get work done has to stop and do the work, or I have a few people trained just to update files and check them in without moving through state changes.

My plan was to do this for after our SW2018 Pro upgrade, but like you said.   Have a plan thought out, and not to panic.

Hopefully in the future I can make this upgrade a little smoother with less disruption, but it is what it is.

JM