9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2018 2:56 PM by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Why is PART NUMBER not uniform between Parts, Drawing files and ToolBox

Andrew Provost

For every part we create, we use the Custom properties to define PART NUMBER and DESCRIPTION.  1. SLDPRT Custom Properties.JPG

Then inside a drawing you can use the TABLE BOM and select CUSTOM PROPERTY > PART NUMBER

2. SLDDRW BOM Table Customer Properties.JPG

Now if I use a Tool box part they have a field PART NUMBER, for example "11127"

3. ToolBox Part Number Call out.JPG

But it is a "SolidWorks" PART NUMBER not a "user" CUSTOM PROPERTY > PART NUMBER

So it looks like the file name is the "PART NUMBER"  well tell me who uses just a "PART NUMBER" in a file name. 

Is that what I need to do?  Doubt we will be able to.

4. SLDDRW BOM Table Default Part Number.JPG

So, you would think that this high tech software would be able to have a PART NUMBER across part, drawings, and add in components that was all linked.  Someone please explain why not? or better how to do it?  I do even recall out of the box there was a "Part No." and I had to make PART NUMBER to just get the part connected to the drawing.  This is the most basic feature I think.  Frustrated.  Educate me, please.

• Re: Why is PART NUMBER not uniform between Parts, Drawing files and ToolBox
          Solid Air

Just out of curiosity, did you have formal SW training or were you sat down in front of a computer and told to learn it yourself?

Out of the box, part number is pulled from Bill of Materials Options field in the configuration property manager.  There are three selections for how SW will populate the field:  Document (file) name, Configuration name or User Specified Name.  I do not use Toolbox so I do not know how the properties are set.

From your screen shots, I see you have modified the BOM table to use your part number custom property.  I will assume Toolbox does not create either a part number or description custom property (although I see you fill in your data on the custom tab; maybe your toolbox parts fills the information in the configuration specific tab).

Fortunately or Unfortunately SolidWorks is customize-able and in many cases can be made to work with your company's workflow.  You need to pick which works best for you and make sure all parts are created following that procedure.  Since I do not use Toolbox, I do not know if it can be customized to create PART NUMBER and Description field.

Where I work we use configurations, so our custom properties are put in the configuration specific tab.  We also have a macro (now an add-in in PDM) that we used long before SW had the Custom Properties tab and other functionality.  This "macro" automatically changed the BOM Options to User Specified and populated it with the data found in our part number custom property (we use the part number custom property to populate our drawing format).  This works for us but it probably will not work for you since you have probably have many parts done using the custom tab.

Glenn Schroeder

As Solid Air said, PART NUMBER is automatically generated by the software for every Part.  If you want to use your own custom property I'd suggest naming it something else (I have "Part Name" that I've used for years, since back then you couldn't call out the PART NUMBER property in a Note, which always baffled me).

Solid Air

Glenn,

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the custom property PART NUMBER is automatically created by SolidWorks.  I have no idea what the default is anymore.  We have changed what we use at least twice in the last 18 years due to the ERP system being used at the time.  I have never seen the PART NUMBER custom property created by SolidWorks (at least not in our custom formats) and as I stated before, we do not use toolbox (another long story for another time).

Igor Fomenko

Because sometimes they don`t see the whole picture.

They explain that you can use your own PartNumber, it is true but in this case you can`t:

1. use ToolboxPart number

2. [SW-BOM PartNumber] in PropertyTabBuilder because there is no ability to assign custom property to it

We asked them a lot of times

How to link SW-Part number property to custom property

sw-part number not bi-directional.....

, but they don`t answer because they don`t work in their program each day and don`t see the whole picture in details.

I`m programmer a little bit and I understand them - it is very hard and painstaking work.

You have to describe each function and procedure very thoroughly and keep a lot of things in your brain.

My advice, don`t use SW Toolbox,if you add your own custom properties to it, each time Toolbox generator create new instance it will override your settings. Make your own library instead and use sldsetdocprp.exe utility. Moreover when you work with big assemblies you need to simplify your parts (supress fillets and chamfers and maybe override mass by mean of $SW-Mass in design table).

You`ll ask about smart fastener, I don`t use smart fastener feature because:

• sometimes frame members are not parallel
                • sometimes you don`t want to model exact coincidence of parts
                • I have my own rules for parts custom properties and fasteners designations and can`t use Toolbox because of reason mentioned above
                  Igor Fomenko

Sorry, I take my words back!

The solution is very simple - is to use custom (for example PartNo) property in configuration property menu.

Many thanks to Bill Toft for its post here Is it possible to group BOM items by certain properties?

Steven Dod

The Toolbox part number uses the "User Specified Name" option in the configuration properties.  I had to write a macro that copies this value to our configuration specific PARTNUMBER so it would report correctly.  I have attached the macro for your use if you choose.  You will need to edit the macro and set the configuration specific property name.

Igor Fomenko

Maybe I don`t understand you, but the idea is opposite - to use a custom property $PRP:"PartNo" for SW-PartNumber (see the picture above). So, it is not necessary to copy anything.

Steven Dod

I am just referencing how the Toolbox stores the part number when it is entered in the Toolbox Settings utility.  If you set the Part Number field inside the utility it will add it to the configuration as a user defined "hard coded" text value.  The OP needs to be able to put a part number in his PART NUMBER field and show it on the BOM but the Toolbox does not do this natively.  It does not populate a custom property so I wrote a macro that would copy the value it stores in the part configuration to a customer property of my choosing.  It is really the toolbox that mucks all this up.  If the toolbox wrote directly to a custom property then you could do as you showed above by referencing the property instead of hard coded text. 

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

It depends how much you want to code your components will be the result in the link of them.

On mi case partNo = *.slprt "Alphanumeric codes"

When I save a part, the result it transfer to the BOM table easy. Take a look a little. "I have a custon Toolbox"

Try to be very organized with the templates and the LDM and everything will come out fast and easy.

Codes - YouTube

Here how you could modify your toolbox with customized data as you wish

New custom toolbox English to Spanish - YouTube

I hope it will be usefull to you