AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to use TurboSquid models and SolidWorks assemblies?

Question asked by Bill Toft on Jan 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 by Chris Cunningham

I am working on a project to render a SolidWorks assembly and show it in a home environment.

To save time, I suggested looking on TurboSquid to see if they could find something they liked. Here is a link to what they purchased:

3D model classic living room - TurboSquid 1159161

Here is a screen shot. Looks pretty good.

I then imported the OBJ model into Visualize 2018:

Here it is without the walls. Not quite the same . . .

I want to set this up in Visualize Professional 2018 to get closer to what is shown in TurboSquid. Then I will add the SolidWorks assembly and position it before rendering.

Question 1: Has anyone else done this workflow (combining OBJ and SW models in Visualize)?

Because of all the polygons, I figure this will be easier than importing the OBJ into SolidWorks then create the assembly there before exporting to Visualize.

Question 2: The OBJ download also had a MTL file, so I thought the appearance would be better.

I was also given a MAX file that had a subfolder "Texture" with JPG files of all the appearances. Is there a way to use those files when I add appearances to the OBJ model in Visualize?

Question 3: Am I wasting my time? Should I be looking for a better file format to import into Visualize?

I see he created it in 3DS Max 2014. But he saved it as MAX and OBJ only. I know Visualize can import 3DS Max files if they are saved in .3DS format. So do I just ask him to save the MAX file as 3DS?

Outcomes