2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 3:31 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Solidworks Treehouse 2017 - How do I use the same part in different sub assemblies?

Dan Pihlaja

OK, I have a large assembly that I am beginning the design for, and I am trying to set up my structure in Solidworks Treehouse 2017, then exporting it directly into Solidworks.

It is working well....however....

I am not sure how to add another instance of the same part to another sub assembly.

I know that if I am working inside the same sub assembly and I want multiple instances of that part, then I just up the instance count...

But I want another instance of that same part in another sub assembly as well.

How do I do that?

Things that I have tried:

1) CTRL drag the part from one sub assembly to the other.  This successfully makes a copy of the card and places it into the correct sub assembly, but there is where the parametric-ability stops.  I would expect that, after making a copy, changing the name of one will change the name of the other, but this is not the case.  Therefore, I am doubtful that this is another instance....and is just a copy.  Not what I want.

I googled this and didn't find anything regarding this.

• Re: Solidworks Treehouse 2017 - How do I use the same part in different sub assemblies?
          Dan Pihlaja

OK, right after I finished typing the question I tried something out that just came to me:

I created a test Treehouse document:

I made the 2 components have the same name and then exported it to Solidworks.

It turns out that is only creates 1 component and adds it to both sub assemblies.

So, anything that I want to use twice (or more, in different sub assemblies), I just make a copy of it and make sure that it has the same name when I export it to Solidworks.

Wondering....is there a better way?

• Re: Solidworks Treehouse 2017 - How do I use the same part in different sub assemblies?
              Dan Pihlaja

Ok, I originally marked the above as correct because it worked in a small test assembly.

When I tried with my actual assembly, it failed and just told me that it cannot add the copied part with the same name as a component to the sub assembly, then stopped the import to Solidworks.   Just stopped.   It basically left the import exactly where it was, and I didn't have the structure complete.

I deleted everything that I had loaded in Solidworks and also deleted the files that it created.

I have to go home now, but tomorrow I will try again.

Has anyone else had this error?