44 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 4:44 PM by Maha Nadarasa

SWX is Slow

Maha Nadarasa

SWX has become very slow after all lines are highlighted only command is active. Please watch the video.

• Re: SWX is Slow
          Christian Chu

Maha,

It's hard to find out from the video clip

Need to see the part and your computer spec

Igor Fomenko

It is slow even with simplest case

Slow down.PNG

strange

Christian Chu

Can you run performance Evaluation to see which feature has more time to rebuild ?

Igor Fomenko

Maha, cut cavities as usual (by means cut feature), without rib or thick surface method.

No result(

Igor Fomenko

Switch off dynamic highlighting

and anti-aliasing on display tab for sure))

Thank you for very good example, it saves a lot of my time for big assemblies

Jim Wilkinson

This is very likely a graphics card/driver issue and also very likely the cause of your crashes in this thread:

SWX 2018 Crushes

I do not have any performance issues with dynamic highlighting with your part on my machine.

If SOLIDWORKS was running OK before, it very well could be that a Windows 10 update changed your graphics driver and is now causing problem. Since you are not running a supported card, the best advice is to get a supported card and driver installed.

But, to potentially confirm that it is the graphics card/driver causing the problem, try running SOLIDWORKS Rx and on the first page, run the safe mode option that runs SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL. That runs the graphics routines on the CPU instead of the graphics card. It will be slower than most graphics cards (even unsupported ones) but is useful to troubleshoot whether it is indeed the graphics card/driver causing the problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Maha Nadarasa

Updating could be a problem. Recently I updated to SWX to SP1 this could be a problem because it worked before well. I do not know whether it is caused by Windows 10 update because some time Windows 10 updates takes place without any notification.

Also I run SWX on OpenGL after VAR recommendation.  

Maha Nadarasa

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

run the safe mode option that runs SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL.

What is meant by GL?

Jim Wilkinson

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

run the safe mode option that runs SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL.

What is meant by GL?

As in most cases, Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=opengl

The second hit is Wikipedia and gives a good summary of what OpenGL is (GL is defined there also).

In your previous reply you said:

Also I run SWX on OpenGL after VAR recommendation. 

I just want to make it clear that SOLIDWORKS ALWAYS uses OpenGL so what you posted is incomplete. I assume you meant you ran SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL based on your VAR recommendation (either by running in the safe mode I suggested or turning the Software OpenGL option on in Tools, Options). As I mentioned in my last post, this bypasses the graphics card hardware and runs everything on the CPU, so while usually slower than a properly functioning graphics card/driver, it can help troubleshoot whether it is indeed the card/driver causing performance issues, crashes, or graphics issues.

This topic documents what Software OpenGL does in more detail and links to another topic that talks about other settings that get turned off with Software OpenGL but you can override:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Performance Options

And this topic in the troubleshooting section of the help gives even more information about troubleshooting and solving problems that may be related to your graphics card/driver:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Graphics Adapters and Drivers

Thanks,
                              Jim

Maha Nadarasa

After replacing with a SWX certified graphic card it is very fast now .

Igor Fomenko

Maha, read this document from 26 page, unfortunately they forgot to mention about dynamic highlighting

Jim Wilkinson

Igor Fomenko wrote:

Maha, read this document from 26 page, unfortunately they forgot to mention about dynamic highlighting

Dynamic highlight should not cause performance issues UNLESS you are working on an extremely large assembly or if there is a problem with the graphics card/driver. In general, it should be almost instantaneous. SOLIDWORKS is VERY hard to use with dynamic highlight turned off because it is hard to know what faces, edges you are selecting in the graphics area and causes mis-picks. The solution to this problem is to figure out why the dynamic highlight is slow and to fix that, not to turn off dynamic highlight as that will just cause an unpleasant experience in using the software and making it less useful.

Thanks,

Jim

Igor Fomenko

Thank you, I`ve checked my 5000 parts assy, selection of edges and faces for this model is excellent.

Maha, lets go)))

Jim Wilkinson

Igor Fomenko wrote:

Thank you, I`ll check my big assy tomorrow, but selection of edges and faces for this model is excellent

Do you mean selection of edges and faces is excellent with dynamic highlight off? It will certainly select things and fast, but in cases where things are close together, you won't be able to tell what it is going to select and it will be frustrating.

Why are you turning dynamic highlight off? Because it is slow on the models shown in this thread? If so, there is something wrong with your graphics card and driver. You should test it using the software OpenGL safe mode I suggested earlier in the thread and if dynamic highlight is not slow like it is normally for you, then you should look into the graphics card/driver. You VAR can help troubleshoot that if you cannot on your own.

Thanks,

Jim

Igor Fomenko

Jim, everything is OK, I don`t feel any difficulties in selection of vertex, edges, faces or sketch segments (distance between them is 2..4mm).

Everything is OK with my notebook too.

Excuse me, I didn`t want to say this, but I think something wrong with your software, and not only in this question.

And second, each time you wrote about that we need to ask VAR about everything, OK, but when I take time to work, you have to understand that we have to work as you to earn money. I cant ask my VAR several times per day about SW bugs. I have to work. I hope you understand.

Igor Fomenko

Hi Jim

From Help

Dynamic highlightThe geometry in the graphics area (edges, faces, planes, axes, and so on) is highlighted when the pointer passes over the item in the FeatureManager design tree.

So this feature can`t have influence on selection of elements on screen, it highlights geometry only when the pointer passes over the item in the FeatureManager design tree.

Jim Wilkinson

Igor Fomenko wrote:

Hi Jim

From Help

Dynamic highlightThe geometry in the graphics area (edges, faces, planes, axes, and so on) is highlighted when the pointer passes over the item in the FeatureManager design tree.

So this feature can`t have influence on selection of elements on screen, it highlights geometry only when the pointer passes over the item in the FeatureManager design tree.

There are two dynamic highlight options. One for the FeatureManager tree documented in this topic:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - FeatureManager Options

and one for the graphics area documented in this topic:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Display Options

A search for "dynamic highlight" in the search within Tools, Options will let you find and navigate to the two options:

OptionsSearch.png

Thanks,

Jim

Igor Fomenko

Yes, and about what option I wrote to Maha?

Jim Wilkinson

Igor Fomenko wrote:

Yes, and about what option I wrote to Maha?

Turning off the FeatureManager tree option does not hinder selection of items in the graphics area (reading back I can see that my earlier reply may have implied that), but it does hinder easily identifying what item in the tree relates to a specific feature or component in the graphics area.

Neither of these dynamic highlight options should have extremely slow performance with a properly functioning graphics card/driver. Refer to some of my previous posts above about when dynamic highlight may be expected to be slow. If you are getting extremely slow performance with either of these options turned on, especially on sample parts like the ones shown earlier in this thread, it is recommended to try to troubleshoot why this is happening and fix it. Both the part and IGS file that Maha posted dynamically highlight from the tree instantaneously for me on a Quadro M500M, one of the lowest spec supported cards. The reason why it is important to troubleshoot these types of problems is because if dynamic highlighting is slow, turning it off will only solve that symptom, but an improperly functioning card/driver will likely cause other performance and stability problems as well.

It is your choice if you want to turn off all sorts of options and negatively impact the usability of the software for what may be an otherwise solvable problem, but I don't want to mislead other users coming across this thread that this is expected behavior or a recommended remedy for it.

Thanks,
                                                            Jim

Ian McLean

Jim Wilkinson wrote:

Igor Fomenko wrote:

Dynamic highlight should not cause performance issues UNLESS you are working on an extremely large assembly or if there is a problem with the graphics card/driver. In general, it should be almost instantaneous. SOLIDWORKS is VERY hard to use with dynamic highlight turned off because it is hard to know what faces, edges you are selecting in the graphics area and causes mis-picks. The solution to this problem is to figure out why the dynamic highlight is slow and to fix that, not to turn off dynamic highlight as that will just cause an unpleasant experience in using the software and making it less useful.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

my experience is that dynamic highlight is very laggy and slow in large assemblies (Xeon E5-1620, 16GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro K4000). It could be because a lot of our parts have 1000s of holes and/or complex geometry. For this reason I almost never use it, but when I would like to turn it on, and then off again, I don't because it toggles on by itself until I exit Solidworks. Yes, I am using certified driver.

Jim Wilkinson

Ian McLean wrote:

my experience is that dynamic highlight is very laggy and slow in large assemblies (Xeon E5-1620, 16GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro K4000). It could be because a lot of our parts have 1000s of holes and/or complex geometry. For this reason I almost never use it, but when I would like to turn it on, and then off again, I don't because it toggles on by itself until I exit Solidworks. Yes, I am using certified driver.

Hi Ian,

In the context of dynamic highlight, a large assembly means having lots of edges, so your assembly probably does qualify as one that would be slow with dynamic highlight. I'll get back to your issues after a diversion into extreme slowness of dynamic highlight like Maha is seeing.

For the benefit of others reading the thread, a small part like Maha's shouldn't be slow on supported graphics cards/drivers and should be almost instantaneous; it should never be so slow that you can almost watch each edge highlight like in his video. It is very fast on my Lenovo P40 which has a Quadro M500M which I believe is the lowest end mobile Quadro card available today. It also generally works fine with unsupported cards like Maha is running, and as Paul states, the same card works fine for him with the same part model. So, this points to something likely wrong with the driver or some specific settings on the driver. In another thread, Maha has been asking about SOLIDWORKS Rx not even reporting the correct card: Diagnostic Report and Graphic Card (GC) and in yet another thread I referred to previously in a reply to him above, he was talking about the software all of a sudden crashing frequently doing simple things. All of these things point to something wrong with the graphics card and/or driver and if one were to search the forum, would find similar things many times over the years; especially recently with how Windows 10 automatically does updates to graphics drivers (which if you search the forums, you can find some information on how to turn those updates off). One last note on extreme slowness: theoretically, it could be a problem with the card itself (not the model, but the specific one in the computer; bad memory, dirty card, bad connection, fan problem, etc.) but those cases are much rarer. All that said, we strongly advise using a supported card/driver as those are tested and if there is a problem, our technical support can work with the graphics card/driver manufacturer to resolve it. If it is an unsupported card, we can't.

So, for your specific issues since they don't sound like the same thing:

If you weren't aware, we have a thing called "Large Assembly Mode" that automatically turns off both dynamic highlight from the graphics area and the FeatureManager tree. When in large assembly mode, these two options will be off and grayed out in the Options dialog. You can manually turn on large assembly mode in the Tools menu for assemblies where you want that to happen or you can set it to automatically turn on for any assembly with X number of components (where you set the threshold). Then dynamic highlight will only be off for those assemblies and not other assemblies, parts, or drawings that you may have open. More details are here in the help on that functionality:

2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Large Assembly Mode

Since you have many edges in your individual parts, you may want to set the threshold for when large assembly mode turns on to a smaller number of components.

I am not sure if what you mention about the dynamic highlight toggling itself back on is related to that; maybe large assembly mode is automatically kicking in and you are not realizing it.

I can't tell which version of SOLIDWORKS you are running. It is best to set that up in your forum profile so when someone hovers over your name/avatar, they can tell what version you are using; then it is always there and you don't have to type it into posts to let people know. In some older versions of SOLIDWORKS dynamic highlight would get toggled off during import (IGES, STEP, etc.) of assemblies but that has been eliminated in newer versions of SOLIDWORKS. The only other time we have heard about dynamic highlight turning on or off unexpectedly is when using a 3DConnexion device. If that is occurring, please report the problem to 3DConnexion since they have asked us to direct people to them to help troubleshoot and fix that issue.

Thanks,

Jim

Shad Thomas

Quite a bit has changed since 2012. I wouldn't necessarily use that document as the end all, be all. I would bet there are some graphics cards/drivers acting up.

Maha Nadarasa

Do you know the effect of the all recommended options?

Maha Nadarasa

Thank you. Recommendations very much speed up the SWX.

Paul Salvador

Hey Maha,.. maybe something is running in the background...while you are trying to do the indent,.. can you also test/run Task Manager and note your Process and Performance or take a screen shot of those process/performance windows?

..and, also try a full shutdown/boot and test/note the difference?

(anyhow, I have no problems with this and I have a unregistered card and using a registry hack)

btw... I recreated the file (also added draft) in 2014 and tested thru 2017sp4.1   (file attached)

Igor Fomenko

I`ve checked two machines with NVideo Quadro K420 and Quadro 2000, everything is OK