3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 1:34 PM by John Stoltzfus Branched to a new discussion.

New FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Space in the Forums

Jim Wilkinson

As briefly mentioned before the new year, we have been working on a new approach to FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) in the forums. Glenn Schroeder did an awesome job creating and maintaining two discussion threads with many FAQs in those threads. However, the threads were not easily searchable or navigated, they were "hidden" among all other posts, and they were hard to reference.

I'm happy to announce that with Glenn's help, we now have a new FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) space in the forum. It can be accessed via most common space navigation methods in the forum including being listed as the second space in the list on the left of the forum home page: https://forum.solidworks.com/

Due to this change, Glenn and I have worked to update his two original FAQ discussion posts to direct forum users to the new space. We have also locked the two original discussions to make sure all future FAQ activity happens in the new space to optimize the content there.

To learn more about the new section of the forum, read this blog post:

Welcome to the SOLIDWORKS Forum FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Thanks,

Jim

• Re: New FAQs Space in the Forums
          John Stoltzfus

Thanks for your hard work Glenn Schroeder

Jim Wilkinson - Would it be possible to change the term FAQ to a self explanatory term, like - "Frequent Asked Questions" or "SolidWorks Questions Answered", or come up with another term?  I'm sure most people from this part of the World know what FAQ's are but somebody that really has a hard time with English will possibly look right at it and have no clue... 

• Re: New FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Space in the Forums
              Jim Wilkinson

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Jim Wilkinson - Would it be possible to change the term FAQ to a self explanatory term, like - "Frequent Asked Questions" or "SolidWorks Questions Answered", or come up with another term? I'm sure most people from this part of the World know what FAQ's are but somebody that really has a hard time with English will possibly look right at it and have no clue...

Hi John,

FAQs and Frequently Asked Questions are the most consistently used terms for something like this in my research of other sites and I don't want to use something different that may confuse people further. So I've changed it to FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) in most places, other than the name of the space itself since I'd prefer to keep that short because it causes wrapping problems in places that only have narrow space. In most places you see the FAQs space name alone, if you hover over it, it shows a tooltip that has the full name anyway.

Thanks,

Jim