AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice/Suggestions on building a new PC.

Question asked by Jay Andrews on Feb 2, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 by Jay Andrews
I'm figuring on upgrading my PC at home to run SW and/or Inventor. BTW I currently use SW08 at work but don't have it at home.

So I'm doing some research to decide what to do for hardware. I'm looking to not spend 1k on any single component, more like 1k for all hardware.

I have a few questions.

Help me understand clearly as I think out loud here. Is the core i7 basically an 8 core processor? Or is it 4 core with HT? So I'm wondering, for SW, it's not really any faster than a core 2 duo of the same bus speed? I know that drawings/fea/pw etc. utilize the multi cores, but just plain SW I mean.

As for a gpu, I currently have a pretty high end gaming card I plan to use, EVGA GTX 260. Anybody running gaming cards for SW, success or failures?

How much of a PS do I need? I have a 600w currently and would like to use it if I can get away with it.

I'm leaning towards right now the slowest core i7 with 6gb of 1600 ram.

I'm liking the idea of windows 7, but I don't think I want to wait for it. So leaning towards vista 64 ultimate.

I also hear that usb 3.0 will be coming out, but that should just be a matter of adding a controller card when I want to pull that trigger right?

Probably more questions to come. Thanks.

Outcomes