6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 4:27 PM by Greg Rupp

IPV6

Greg Rupp

Has anyone tested this out?

815714SOLIDWORKS PDM: Enhancement: Officially support and work on networks using only IPV6 protocol.ImplementedHighSolidWorks PDMThere is no current official support for EPDM on IPV6 only networks. The archive server service will fail to communicate with clients over IPv6. For SNL (license) related problems, refer to enhancement SPR 597627.2018 SP0

Greg

• Re: IPV6
          Paul Wyndham

I have not specifically disabled IPv6 on any of the client machines and don't know of any issues that this might be causing. Be then the sites a long ways from the data server have delays. Maybe I could have them try turning off IPv6 and see if it makes a difference.

For the most part both protocols are turned on when users get the new machines. I don't know if SWPDM selects which protocol it wants to use if both are selected.

Greg Rupp

Thanks for posting Paul.

Microsoft Direct Access requires that applications use IPv6. The only reason our IT folks put a VPN client on our computers is because of Solidworks and we are hoping to get rid of that.

If someone does have a 2018 test PDM server (or license server) and was willing to toggle off IPv4, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have plans to, but it wouldn't but until later this year.

Charley Saint

I would HIGHLY recommend getting this running as quickly as possible and testing it. Since this is a new and somewhat esoteric feature it has probably not been tested by many users and will almost certainly have a few bugs that you'll need to get reported in early SP's to get them fixed in this release year. If you don't test until SP3-4 then you will almost certainly be waiting for the 2019 release and will probably wait for later SP's on that version to fix other bugs, so you'll be held up until Q3 2019 to get this running.

Please let us know how your testing goes, I'm sure quite a few of us will be deploying it before long.

Martin Solem

Hi,

Performed this little test now.

I have a computer (PC) which is both a client to a PDM vault on a network server (NS), and also has local server (LS) with test and development vaults.

Since our network is based on IPv4 for DHCP and DNS, I had to:

-Provide IPv6-address when connecting to LS

-Add 25734@ipv6-address as license server

-Change DB-server in registry to Ipv6-address

I turned off IPv4 on PC, making sure it only had one address, IPv6.

-Logged into a vault on NS

-Browsed folders

-Got latest versions of files

-Checked out

-Checked in

-Created new file and checked in

-Deleted new file

-Logged into PDM Administration

-Started SOLIDWORKS, opened a file, checked it out, made changes, saved and checked in using PDM Add-in.

So far so good.

I then RDP'd to NS, where I created vault view pointing to my test vault on PC.

-Logged into the vault

-Browsed folders

-Looked at data cards

-Got latest versions of files

-Checked out

-Checked in

-Created a new file and checked in

-Deleted new file

-Logged in to PDM Administration

I had a few bumps in the road when it came to SOLIDWORKS with PDM add-in. Like a few restarts of SOLIDWORKS, the add-in didn't seem to respond the first couple of times. Browsing NS vault acting wierd the first time, i had to right click and select to browse. But that could easily be the test environment too. I don't know how healthy or stable i can expect my system to be, when i just shut off IPv4 to proceed using only IPv6 in an IPv4 based network.

Bottom line, none of my tests persistently failed, so it appears to work for basic PDM functionality.

I dont have Direct Access, so i cannot test that.

Martin