20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2018 4:55 PM by Sarah Dwight

Drawing template

Nathan Fortier

Hello, fairly new to solidworks. I have 2016 and I am trying to create a drawing template. The company only wants the name of the company and the name of the part to show up. I am having problems of when I save a template and re open it, the name of my file(template) shows instead of the actual part that I am putting into the drawing. I haven't done much with drawings. I've tried linking the part no but like i said when I reopen the template ot says template instead of my actual part. Can anybody help a brother out haha.

• Re: Drawing template
          John Stoltzfus

Welcome Nathan Fortier

Since you're "New" look through the following thread first...

Some very important steps if you are a NEW FORUM USER....

Glenn Schroeder

I'll try to help.  First of all, to avoid confusion, it sounds like what you're working on is your sheet format, not the drawing template (please see #2 at Frequently Asked Forum Questions for clarification).

Now, it sounds like your sheet format note may not be properly linked.  Double-click on the note to highlight the text, and go to the "Link to Property" icon in the note's Property Manager and make the appropriate selection.  Now save the sheet format, and you'll probably also need to save your drawing template (again, see the link above).  My title block notes aren't linked to Part properties, but when opening a new drawing I'm pretty sure it will be blank, or show a string of text, until you actually insert a drawing view, and possible rebuild.

Does this help?

Nathan Fortier

So what I did was trim and delete all the other blocks and left only the Title box and DWG. NO.

I selected the text in the title block and linked to the title property under properties ion the drop down and hit OK.

After that I typed my Company name and that has always open up correctly. What your saying is that When I insert a new part into it, the Part information should update into the DWG NO?

Nathan Fortier

I save the sheet format and it has the name of the FIle name that I am using for the template and when I put in a part it doesn't update the part name. I know that I am selecting the wrong Link Property.

Glenn Schroeder

Nathan Fortier wrote:

So what I did was trim and delete all the other blocks and left only the Title box and DWG. NO.

I selected the text in the title block and linked to the title property under properties ion the drop down and hit OK.

After that I typed my Company name and that has always open up correctly. What your saying is that When I insert a new part into it, the Part information should update into the DWG NO?

If the note is properly linked, yes, it should.

Nathan Fortier

Is there a DWG. NO. to select? I do not see one to select. Is there where I have to make my own File Property? Would this not work because all of the files going in would be different. Even after I insert my new part to dimension in my drawing and hit rebuild it doesn't change the name to the new file.

Glenn Schroeder

Nathan Fortier wrote:

Is there a DWG. NO. to select? I do not see one to select. Is there where I have to make my own File Property? Would this not work because all of the files going in would be different. Even after I insert my new part to dimension in my drawing and hit rebuild it doesn't change the name to the new file.

I don't know what information you mean by DWG. NO.  If you want to use the Part file name then you'll need that property is built-in and you can select it.

If you want some other information there then you'll need to create that property in the Part, and reference that property in the Note.  In the screenshot below I'm showing "Part Name", which is a custom property I have in all my Parts.

Nathan Fortier

I didn't know you could save the sheet file. So I save the sheet format and you said to save the template. What I did was go to a new drawing and made my changes there, saved the sheet format and when I save my template what do I do? Save as...

Glenn Schroeder

Nathan Fortier wrote:

I didn't know you could save the sheet file. So I save the sheet format and you said to save the template. What I did was go to a new drawing and made my changes there, saved the sheet format and when I save my template what do I do? Save as...

I take it you read the part in the link I posted above.  Now read #26 at FAQ - Part 2.

John Stoltzfus

Nathan Fortier - It was a struggle for me as well, take a look at the following links, there may be some things in there to help out...

Custom Properties Tab Builder???

Custom Property Tab Builder - Error Help Needed

Sarah Dwight

Usually the drawing file name is what shows up on the sheetformat/titleblock ($PRP:"SW-File Name").

Are you saving the drawing file with the same name as the part file?

My example below has 2 files:

a model/part file 8-114-404-336-337.sldprt

and a drawing file 8-114-404-336-337.slddrw

When I create a part and then want to create a drawing I usually use this route:

1. Open the part file

2. Make drawing from Part/Assembly

3. Select the format/template

4. SW automatically names the drawing file the same as the part file.

5. Save the drawing file.