15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 9:23 AM by Ignacio Vital

BOM balloons for sub-assemblies on separate sheets

Wayman John

Good afternoon,

Here's what I am trying to achieve:

I have an assembly, comprising 4 sub-assemblies.

The top-level assembly is shown on sheet 1, as is the Top Level BOM. The BOM shows 4 items, each of which is ballooned on the appropriate view on sheet 1.

Each sub-assembly, plus a couple of other bits and pieces, is shown on a separate sheet of the drawing.

I would like to have a balloon attached to a view of each sub-assembly (one on each sheet) showing the item number in the BOM on sheet 1 of that sub-assembly.

So, for example, sheet 2 would show sub-assembly 1, with a balloon showing item 1, sheet 2 would show sub-assembly 2, with a balloon showing item 2, etc.

My problems are as follows:

I right-click on the view of the sub-assembly and click Properties, link balloon text to specified table - only 1 BOM is shown, so that's good. However, when I auto-balloon the view of sub-assembly 1, Solidworks puts in a single balloon labelled '*'.

Where am I going wrong?

I can't see anything in the help that applies to this specific scenario.

Is it even possible?

SW2016, SP5

Windows 10 Pro

Cheers,

John

• Re: BOM balloons for sub-assemblies on separate sheets
          Ignacio Vital

Hi, I have the same problem.

This is because the balloon thinks the sub-assembly in the other sheet is an assembly and not a sub-assembly from the main assembly.

Then, when you choose the BOM that applies from this sub-assembly, the program puts * because the BOM is not for the sub-assembly.

I read something about Display-States from the main assembly but I have not understood well this solution. I think for next year if nobody puts it previously, i'll put an idea for modification in the balloons.

Regards,

Ignacio

Carrie Ives

If the view is of the sub-assy, then the balloon behavior makes sense. You can use display states to show just one sub-assy. In your top level assembly, add a display states and name it something like "sub-assy 1". Hide everything but sub-assy 1. In the display state properties, you can set it so that it doesn't make new components visible in the display state. Depending on how you want to display things, apply this either to all display states or just this display state.

Create a view of your assembly on page 2. Set the display state to Sub-assy1. Add the balloon and it should be correct.

This is a manual process. I would like to know if others have a more automated version of the process.

Another idea - if you don't have to have the item number, you could have the balloon (or note) give the part number of your sub-assy. Then you could make the view of the sub-assy and then just call out it's part number.

The third method is you just type in the item number instead of using an intelligent balloon. This has risk that the item number on the BOM changes and you forget to update the balloon.

Jim Sculley

Ignacio Vital wrote:

I read something about Display-States from the main assembly but I have not understood well this solution. I think for next year if nobody puts it previously, i'll put an idea for modification in the balloons.

To use display states, the model on every sheet is the top level model, with the items you don't want shown set to hidden.

You create a new display state in the model for each sheet.  So, if Sheet 2 should show Subassembly 1, you make a new display state in the top level model.  Call it 'Sheet 2' to make it easy to identify.  You can now hide subassemblies 2, 3 and 4.  They will only be hidden in the new display state.  In your drawing you place a view of the top level model on sheet 2, but set the display state for the view to your new 'Sheet 2' display state. 

We have a strict 'one model per drawing' rule here.  It eliminates surprises and keeps the file reference handling simple.

Using display states as shown above doesn't violate the rule and is really quite powerful.

Jim Steinmeyer

Ok,

lots of extra work , and may not be what you want but here is an idea.

I placed an assembly with subs on sheet 1 and created a BOM with the numbering indented with detailed numbering. Then after placing the BOM I hid all of the sub assembly parts in the BOM. hiding the sub parts would then not have them shown on any BOM so that might not be what you desire. On sheet 2 I placed a sub-assembly  and was able to  balloon it, however the balloons have the 2.1,  2.2 type of numbering scheme. If you create the BOM  with flat numbering you would do away with that but then it is harder to know which parts are in the top level and which are part of subs. My suggestion would be to do a normal top level BOM on sheet 1 and then do a separate BOM for each sub.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Steve Crompton

Hi

See this thread I started which has an explanation from Solidworks as to why its happening.

BALLOON STARS

It baffles me as to why its even an option. I cant think of any single scenario where you would want stars instead of a number/letter etc.

Thanks

Steve

Igor Fomenko

Sorry for stupid question, but have you checked this one?

View property dialog.GIF