27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 7:29 AM by Grant Kirkland

Latest Released

Kenneth Barrentine

Are there options to force ePDM to select a specific state?

e.g. If I had a State called "Released" could ePDM only open the latest "Released" State of each component?

I want to ignore all Work In Progress.

• Re: Latest Released
          Sam Sam

hi,

If I correctly understood - something like the filter?

Can just create other user with the required settings - such option doesn't approach?

Probably not the best option, but everything depends on that what it is necessary for.

Martin Solem

Hi. Kind of... you can limit Read permissions for users and groups for all States but the Released state.  Or remove permissions to view working versions which will let them see only versions with a Revision. This depends how and when you Revision of course.

Martin

Paul Wyndham

Hey Kenneth, I think your questions is a little unclear. At first is seems like you are asking about if you could set something to check into a specific state automatically. But then your example makes me think you are asking about if you open an assembly can you force it to only get the components versions that were released instead of the version from when the assembly was checked in last.

Can you rephrase your question and/or give another example or two?

Kenneth Barrentine

Hello Paul, yeah that last part.

... But then your example makes me think you are asking about if you open an assembly can you force it to only get the components versions that were released instead of the version from when the assembly was checked in last. ...

We're using Teamcenter now and you have the option to open released versions only.

Paul Wyndham

As Martin stated you can set a permission to only allow people to see files that are in specific states. So, that would make it so that they would only be able to see released versions. You might have to make sure that the engineers save the assemblies that they release with only the versions of the parts that are also released. Otherwise the users might not be able to see certain parts.

But that would probably be bad form to release an assembly using parts that are not released.

David Diehl

See what you think of this discussion:

Any easy way to open Latest "Released" version of assembly & components?

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/26994

An enhancement request was submitted back in 2009, but I have not seen this capability added to EPDM..

I was basically wanting an option in EPDM to retrieve the latest "RELEASED" components of every file in the assembly by setting a single switch, similar as doing an explicit "Get" on a version to get the As-Built configuration but slightly different in that it opens the latest RELEASED version of each file. The solution could look something like EPDM looks at each file...if it sees a version that is tagged with Rev A, it then looks if there is a version tagged with Rev B. If it finds Rev B, it looks for a version tagged with Rev C...It continues this lookup until it finds the version tagged with the latest Revision and that is the version it retrieves. EPDM goes through this process for every file in the assembly and that is what it opens in SolidWorks.

Craig Schultz

I know it's a different way of thinking....but if you have PDM '18 you can use the branch/merge feature to accomplish this.  With the new workflow I set up, this is essentially what we have accomplished.

Grant Kirkland

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but you can set permissions for a given group based on states.

As you can see I have this group "Viewers" only able to read file contents which are in the "Approved" state. All other states are not readable for users in this group.

Jason Capriotti

That works fine for downstream users who only consume data. The problem is more within our development group. They need to see files as either "Released" or "Latest" depending on what they are doing. Right now, they always get the "Latest". If they are trying to solve a problem with the current released "B" revision of an assembly, they don't want the work in progress files. Then when they're back on the development project, they want latest.

Grant Kirkland

Would the users not just use "Get Version" and select "B"?

When you say "Released" you mean "as-built" at the time of a release in the past, correct?

It seems to me if the workflow requires files to be approved from the bottom up then by pulling the "B" release all child components would also be in the released state.

Jason Capriotti

We have "Always work with latest" checked for everyone. Reason being its not easy to tell that you don't have the latest version of a file if you have an old version cached, it just opens the old cached version on double click of a file. This is dangerous in my opinion. What should happen is it should prompt you to get latest on double click.

I'd rather "Get version" be changed to "Open Version" and it should be available at all times, even with always work with latest version checked.

Steve Ostrovsky

Jason Capriotti That would be a good enhancement. Get Latest on double click. That's bitten many of my customers in the butt too.

Wayne Matus

Does not help in that scenario, but for purchasing or mfg.

There is also a folder permission "Show working versions of files". If that is unchecked and user does have read permissions, then the user can only see versions that increment revision. If increment revision is only on released state, they would only see released parts in assembly.

Grant Kirkland

The highlight colors are customizable and make the active version pretty clear, in my opinion.

"Get Version" can always be available, its a user/group setting. It is independent from "always get latest". Many time I don't double-click to open a file anymore, I right click and select the version. Much preferable than SW throwing another dialog box up.

I don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds like your users do not know how to use the software properly. I understand minimizing risk of mistakes, but sometimes it's more effective to learn best practices than it is to handcuff to a universal setting.

Jason Capriotti

Negative, when check "Always work with latest version of files", the "Get Version" flyout goes away.

Just the chance of someone not viewing the "latest" version is a recipe for disaster and PDM makes it too easy. I have 100's of users accessing the system.

I just want the current behavior of always get latest on open with an option to open older version via the Get version flyout. Simple in my mind. We are looking into maybe doing this via the API.

Grant Kirkland

Huh? I have all users Always work with latest version of files and all users can also RMB -> Get on an opened file in SW.

However, it's not available in RMB -> History -> Get

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

But isn't one of the main reasons to not use "Always use released" would be a scenario such as:

Assm1 (Rev A) is released with Component1 (Rev A)

Assem2 (Rev A)  is released with Component1 (Rev A)

Component1  (Rev A) in Assem1 (Rev A) is changed and Assem1 (Rev B) is re-released with Component1 (Rev B)

Assem2 (Rev A) is released (or even viewed)

Assem2 (Rev A) is going to show Component1 (Rev B) which was changed in Assem1 (Rev B) when it should actually remain Component1 (Rev A)

Am I misunderstanding something here?

So you want a Get selection from the file explorer RMB menu such that there no need to open the file the Get?

I think I'm following the logic better but I still can't think of a situation where I would use such a functionality. Is that not just modifying the order? Get -> open instead of Open -> Get?

Aaron Torberg

Not necessarily the latest released version but, within the get dialog you can choose to get the referenced version of the files for a given assembly.  This will allow you to get the assembly as it was when it entered a released state. 

GetRef.jpg

This is more of an "as built" than a "get latest released".  Some of the supporting files may not have been release with the assembly and in that case the supporting file would not be in the released state.  Some of the files released with the assembly may not even be the latest released version of the file.  When we release an assembly we (Lanco employees) need to release all of the supporting documents at the same time so for a given assembly release all of the components would be at a released state as well.

Greg Rupp

Hi Kenneth, I've been trying to get this feature added for years and gave up about 2 years ago (never got enough votes). It's a major problem for us when purchasing or manufacturing tries to access a sub assembly that was made with files newer than what they have access to. I ended up writing a program to allow people to get the Latest Revision of files.

2018-04-04_15-27-18.jpg

Based on all of this feedback, I have renewed confidence to get this implemented!!!