AnsweredAssumed Answered

Renumber Sheet Names and Relabel View Labels

Question asked by Matt Peneguy on Jan 11, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2019 by Casey Balderson

In another thread I mentioned that I manually renumbered my sheet names.  I have the name linked to a field on the sheet.  This is a good way of ordering the sheets and since I have multiple files with multiple sheets for each project. But, I have to change a lot if a sheet is inserted.  Well, Deepak Gupta mentioned that I may want to create a macro.  I did just that by copying a macro from the help and modifying it.  I thought I'd post it in a new thread to make it easier to find... And here it is (I hope it doesn't offend anyone who knows how to properly code, but I will modify it if anyone sees anything wrong):

Edit to Add:

With guidance from Deepak Gupta I have modified the macro to first change the name of the sheets to a "dummy" name to prevent an error when renumbering the sheets if a sheet name already exists (if the above macro tries to name a sheet 2 and that name already exists, it fails).  Thanks Deepak!

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Dim vSheetName As Variant

Dim i As Integer

Dim bRet As Boolean

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swDraw = swModel

myNum = InputBox("Enter the first sheet number")

If IsNumeric(myNum) = False Then

MsgBox ("Enter a numeric value and retry")

Exit Sub

End If

' Rename the sheets to a dummy name

RenameSheets ("99999999")

RenameSheets (myNum)

End Sub

Sub RenameSheets(myName)

vSheetName = swDraw.GetSheetNames

For i = 0 To UBound(vSheetName)

mynewNum = myName + i

bRet = swDraw.ActivateSheet(vSheetName(i))

Dim swSheet As Sheet

Set swSheet = swDraw.Sheet(vSheetName(i))

If (swSheet.IsLoaded) Then

swSheet.SetName mynewNum

Else

Debug.Print (vSheetName(i) & " is not loaded.")

End If

Next i

End Sub

Edit to add2: Thanks to Deepak Gupta I copied the code written by Artem Taturevych and modified it to label past 26 views (A-Z).  It should handle AA-ZZ, now (I think that works out to 702 views).  A lot of workflows don't go past 26 views, but some of our drawing files do.  Anyone interested can see the attached file.

Sorry Artem, my code is nowhere near as neat and tidy as yours, but what I kludged together should work.

Outcomes