4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 10:04 AM by Bobby Penland

help with backward compatibility

Lauryn Morris Nolan

I hope the community can help me with this.

I downloaded and installed the student edition (version 2016-2017, it was the oldest available to me) and started my school project, I got a lot done. I then brought the files to school but found they had version 2015. Now I can't open the files in school and I really need to. I can't install anything like backworks in school, like I tried at home, so I can't use that. I read that a file is compatible with the last version, so my file is compatible with 2016 and if someone had 2016 they could save the file again and it might be compatible with 2015... is that correct?

If so can anyone help me please? This is a really important project.

Thanks in advance

• Re: help with backward compatibility
          Glenn Schroeder

Lauryn Morris Nolan wrote:

I downloaded and installed the student edition (version 2016-2017, it was the oldest available to me) and started my school project, I got a lot done. I then brought the files to school but found they had version 2015. Now I can't open the files in school and I really need to. I can't install anything like backworks in school, like I tried at home, so I can't use that. I read that a file is compatible with the last version, so my file is compatible with 2016 and if someone had 2016 they could save the file again and it might be compatible with 2015... is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Hello Lauryn,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid the statement above isn't correct.  As far as I know your only options will be to save the files as dumb solids from home and open them at school, or completely redo them from scratch at school (or get your school to update to a later version; but I doubt that's possible).  #3 at Frequently Asked Forum Questions may be of some help.

Tony Tieuli

Lauryn Morris Nolan wrote:

Thanks in advance

I believe that only SP5.0 of any particular version is able to open files from the next years version. I'm not even sure if that works with the Student Edition.

Have you tried saving your file as .stp or .x_t file?

If your version will read a file saved that way it will be brought in as a dumb solid. (No features)

You would then have to use the Featureworks tool to be able to edit your model.

Hope this helps.

Bobby Penland

I am not sure what enhancements a student version has. If you bring them in a future version as 'dumb models' (a data transfer file) look at the add-ins and see if 'FeatureWorks' is available. This will evaluate for recreating features.