22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 4:42 PM by Matt Peneguy

Installation question

Alex Lachance

Hello,

I am currently in the process of switching 4 workstations for our engineers. They'll be moving from a HP Z420 Workstation on Windows 7 to a ThinkStation P710 or P720(Not sure exactly, doesn't matter anyways) on Windows 10.

My question is, will the newstations on Windows 10 be able to run SolidWorks 2016 SP4.0?

I don't think it matters because of this:

• Re: Installation question
          Jeff Holliday

I don't see any reason why they should not work. How well they work will depend on the hardware chosen within the computer itself.

Alex Lachance

Neither do I, I just figured I'd ask to make sure. I'd hate to fully configure the workstations and have it filled with problems because of something as subtle as this.

Since SolidWorks says it's approved for Windows 10 on their website, I figured I was okay but perhaps someone has had bad experiences from switching computers.

Dean Purvis

Yes, all SP of v2016 will run on a Windows 10 machine.

Dean Purvis

You did not mention if you were running standalone or network seats.  If standalone, make sure you transfer the seats so you will not have issues when reinstalling on the new PCs.  We use network, so I am not sure exactly what the process is for standalone... your VAR will though.

Alex Lachance

Oh I've had that problem before bahahaha! When we switched from 2014 to 2016, our IT department took care of it. We use an add-on on SolidWorks called CustomTools and it works just the same way, you need to transfer the licence before proceeding to uninstall. If you don't, you have to call them for them to free it up.

Well, the IT department forgot to free both licences. The end result was that I had to call SolidWorks to get licences freed by them. It was a really huge hassle because at first they wouldn't free them pretending that we still had the installation actives. When I explained that we switched computers they understood and freed them as long as I communicated to them which licence was being installed on which computer.

On CustomTools side, it wasn't as long but still a hassle...

Our engineers are on network seats because they share a bunch of licences along with the simulation licences.

Matt Peneguy

Unfortunately, if they are standalone licenses, he may not be on subscription and thus not eligible for support through his VAR.  But, I agree definitely release those licenses before decommissioning the old computers.

Alex Lachance

I am on subscription but I know the whole routine for installing and all that stuff, I did send an e-mail to my VAR as I wrote this to ensure I wouldn't have any problem but I figured I'd ask here too.

Christian Chu we all have our settings on the network thankfully, though if I were to upgrade version instead of doing a computer switch I wouldn't use the old settings as Matt Peneguy stated. When upgrading versions, I take screenshots of my settings to do a clean install. At the same time, it helps me notice the new settings in the new version There are quite a few things to do when upgrading to make sure everything goes right. When I upgrade I delete everything and clean the registry to make sure I don't bring any undesired things from the older version to the newer one. We haven't had the problem here but the guy who trained me was the one who explained me the whole process and he knew of some companies which had problems while bringing their settings from an older version to a newer one. He was not aware of the outdated template thing though, which is something we had to deal with.

Dean Purvis

Can you expand more on the "outdated template thing"?

Rick McDonald

Alex Lachance wrote:

There are quite a few things to do when upgrading to make sure everything goes right. When I upgrade I delete everything and clean the registry to make sure I don't bring any undesired things from the older version to the newer one.

Alex

I have never done anything to the registry unless I find a specific problem, but I have also not done many complete re-installs, so I did not have as much need.

I have only done a couple upgrades and I kept the old version until I knew the new version was working and then deleted "Most" folders (or moved them to a different location as a backup). I have not "noticed" any problems doing it in my situation (that I could attribute to my method), but I agree it would be best to do a "complete" removal and reinstall during an upgrade - but I was afraid of creating a new problem.

Can you explain your process to clean the registry and delete everything - as this is what I would do in the future so I have a clean start on my system or on others that have problems.

Mostly I am not very good on registry items and don't want to do something that messes up something else inadvertently.

I usually create restore points before changes like this but have noticed that the old restore point will disappear after some time - after others have been created.  - Is there a way to save the registry more permanently (or at least the portions that pertain to the SolidWorks install?

Alex Lachance

Sure thing bud, I have a few things to do but I'll try to resume it quickly.

• The user doing the installation must have administrative rights.
                                          • Turn off the anti-virus and firewalls
                                          • Uninstall old version of SolidWorks with the ''add/remove program'' in the control panel
                                          • Uninstall any old eDrawings version
                                          • Delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolidWorks Corp

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolidWorksx86

• Delete the ''Toolbox'' folder in C:\SolidWorks Data
                                          • Make sure there are no SolidWorks folders in C:\Users (C:\Document and settings)
                                          • Use regedit to remove the following registries. Make sure to rename them before deleting them so if you encounter a problem you can roll it back.
                                            • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks
                                            • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks BackOffice
                                            • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRAC
                                            • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks Corporation
                                            • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SRAC

This pretty much is my routine when doing an upgrade. There are a few more things but they are more personal to us because of how we send info to our ERP and because of languages.

Christian Chu

Others have mentioned so I don't have to repeat
                              Just add one thing - make sure to copy the settings so you don't have to spend some time on the new machines

Matt Peneguy

Unfortunately using copy settings wizard could mess things up.  I recently had to do a "clean install" of SWX.  The VAR didn't have an exact explanation, but it fixed the problem.  The assembly I was working on exhibited the same behavior on a coworker's computer.  I had used the copy settings on that computer, too.  Maybe something else caused the problem, but I'm not taking any chances any more.

No Copy Settings Wizard or copying templates from old versions for me anymore.

Christian Chu

Matt,

If you install the new version of SW on the same computer, then no need to copy the settings since the settings are already in the registry.

What I want to mention here is on the different computers so the user doesn't have to spend some time to customize his/her SW settings

The fact is, I never have any issue with the copy setting wizard - not sure what errors you have

Beside some extra settings each of engineers has , I also set up a program so everyone can run so same setting on each computer

Rick McDonald

I often take screen shots of my settings so that I know what I want, but if I had something messed up I would be able to load the defaults and then try the individual settings as I wanted.  At least, if my new setup worked different than what I expected I could compare and try things until I found what was different - then decide which way I wanted it moving forward.

But I am a real strong advocate for using the save settings wizard - having that as a backup saved me a few times.

It also helped me resolve a difficult to find bug by allowing me to switch between user settings from the past that worked and current settings that had a problem. Then when fixed I saved the new settings.  I periodically save new sets just in case I inadvertently make a change I didn't realize and it messes me up.

Douglas Labun

I have a Lenovo P910 and I had no issues with SW2016 / Win10 on it.... I highly doubt the larger mechanical chassis on the P910 would make any difference compared to running SW on the P710.

One word of warning, Lenovo did have a manufacturing issue a few months ago with the optional RAID controller. If you order the RAID controller as a factory installed option and notice your HDD light isn't working it's because the factory connected the cable for the LED to the wrong header on the RAID controller. Not sure how they managed that one but their engineering folks have been attempting to straighten out the factory.