6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 8:49 AM by Grega Jerin

Solidworks PDM Pro - two workstations and one vault PC

Grega Jerin

We are curentlly in the process of implementation of Solidworks PDM Pro and I have some IT questions.

We have two workstations (both HP Z420) each with one licence of SW. One has SW Pro and the other SW Stand. Because we are not a large engineering company we decided and checked with our VAR that it is also good if we use one older workstation (Thinkstation S20) as a "server" machine. It will have a 2 x 1 TB disk in RAID 1 configuration.

All three will be using Windows 7 64 bit. They will be linked via 10/100/1000 Linksys SE2800 switch.

My question is: What do we need to set up from IT point of view (ports, firewall setings, etc.) on all three computers so our VAR can then install SW PDM Pro on "server" PC and clients on both workstations?

• Re: Solidworks PDM Pro - two workstations and one vault PC
          Steve Ostrovsky

From a minimum, all of the computers should be able to ping each other and have port communication through 25734, 25735, 3030, 1433.

Paul Wyndham

It would be a good idea to setup some sort of backup system to copy the archive folder structure and Database off to a different drive or to a tape backup.

Charley Saint

Firewalls by default only block inbound communication so you don't need to do anything on the clients, just on the server. Like Steve said on the "server" add inbound rules to allow TCP communication on 25734, 25735, 3030, 1433. Also RAID is not a backup solution so make sure to set one up, buy a NAS device for $200 off newegg and have your VAR point backups to it.

Grega Jerin

Great. Theanks for answers.

Also thanks for warning, but RAID is not our backup solution. It is just to make our "server" PC more reliable and to recover it faster in case of disk failure. We do daily database backups on remote HDD on one of workstations and monthly database backup on HDD that is located out of company in case of fire or something similar.

Since you reminded me, I'm looking for a software that is reporting errors on RAID system for Windows 7. In case if one of the disk fails I would like to receive an imediate sound warning (like for fan failure) and an e-mail if possible. I've read a lot about people not even knowing that one of HDDs have failed, so RAID is useless that way.

I also have one other question. How wil I point to "server" data disk location for PDM clients? Do I need to map it as network disk or is this done in some other way?

Steve Ostrovsky

Clients will never need to map to any drive for any reason. All communication is done through the PDM system itself. The Archive server knows where the files are - you should have defined that during the install of the server components. There are a couple places you can check, but an easy one is in the server registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\<VAULTNAME>\ArchiveTable

Here you should see 17 keys with folder paths.

Grega Jerin

We didn't perform any instalations yet. I'm curentlly setting my "server" PC so that the VAR can then implement PDM with instalation and basic setting.

We already went through administration and basic use of PDM training.

I'm asking this because we are a small bootstrap engineering company and we are a bit of our own IT. We don't like complicated IT systems, but simple and reliable ones. We also like to know what is going on "behind the curtains", because we think it is better this way.

Thanks for answers. If anyone has something useful to say or has some good advices for someone like me, who is in the begining of PDM use, please do so.