2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2018 11:01 AM by Ajay Kumar R.

SW MBD - Automation of 3D PDF Publishing

Jared Kirsch

I have recently been experimenting with SolidWorks MBD, in particular, the 3D PDF publishing functionality. One our company goals in using SolidWorks MBD is to automate the publishing of 3D PDF's as much as possible. I have a couple of questions related to this desire:

1. Is it possible to assign a specific 3D PDF template to a model automatically based on the client it was made for and whether is is a part or an assembly?

2. It seems odd that one can change the relation of stated to actual custom properties in the second "pane" of the "Publish to 3D PDF" property manager. For example, if I created a custom property placeholder on a 3D PDF template, named the property "Number" and assigned it to the custom property "Number," I could then change that placeholder to refer to the custom property "Engineer" when I selected the edit button in the property manager. Is there a way to lock the custom properties that the custom property placeholders in the templates refer to so that accidental edits don't correlate an unrelated property to a placeholder?

Thank you.

Jared

• Re: SW MBD - Automation of 3D PDF Publishing
          Greg Kemner

I have run into the same question.  Is it possible to assign a specific 3D PDF template to a model automatically based on the client it was made for and whether it is a part or an assembly? We are using PDM for review and sign off and once approved I need for the 3D pdf to be published automatically with the correct template.  Please let me know if you learn any more information.

• Re: SW MBD - Automation of 3D PDF Publishing
            Ajay Kumar R.

Hi Kirsch,

In SolidWorks MBD, we are able to customize the Template for each Vendors/ Suppliers/ clients.

Dependency on clients, you can define the properties [like Supplier name, supplier code, engineer name, material etc] in SW 3D CAD [Custom Properties->Mid-Top of the Screen].

After creating the Custom Properties, make this as a Part Template [.prtdot] for a specific Client/Supplier/Vendor.

Then Go to MBD 3D PDF Templates, create a new template and link the custom properties here which you created in SW 3D CAD [should ensure same spelling & correct spaces and all].

Then save this created Template in specified location [Local Disk C].

Therefore you can publish the Outputs with respect to Supplier/ Client by simply choosing the Template you created in drop down option.

Hence, now you will have two Templates. One in SW 3D CAD[i.e, PART TEMPLATE] and other one is 3D PDF Template.

Whenever you open this Part Template, you will see the Custom Properties remains the same. So that you don't want to edit again and again.

Hope you got it. For deep understanding have a look @ below pictures. Thank you Kirsch

Custom Link.jpgCustom Properties.jpgPart template location.jpgMBD LINKING.jpglOCATION.png