4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2017 11:43 PM by Deepak Gupta

Insert a sketch for user to edit from event handler

Rob Edwards

Hi Forum

I'm using the holidays to invest in a bit of API study, it's great! -  no ones bothering me

I'm currently looking at using events

Specifically in this case I am trying to create a new sketch when the user adds a configuration.

I would then like to pass control back to the user so they can create the sketch

I will then pick up the new sketch has been created and do some more stuff

At first it appears to work fine, however there is something wrong.

The sketch entities are not displayed and the sketch is empty - eg a rectangle

It gets added to the tree, but will be deleted if it is again edited

Here's my debug.print that shows somethings working

swNotifyConfiguration       A

swNotifyFeature             Sketch3-A     ProfileFeature

swNotifyConfiguration       B

swNotifyFeature             Sketch3-B     ProfileFeature

swNotifyConfiguration       C

swNotifyFeature             Sketch3-C     ProfileFeature

and heres the code,,, macro attached.  I use 2016

The macro selects a face called "Blank Face" , so I also attach a simple sample file

'Part_Events_Study1
      Option Explicit
      Public swapp As SldWorks.SldWorks
      Dim swPartEvents As Class1

Sub main()
          Set swapp = Application.SldWorks
          Set swPartEvents = New Class1
          swPartEvents.Init
      End Sub

'Class1
      Option Explicit

Public WithEvents swPart As SldWorks.PartDoc

Public Sub Init()
          Set swPart = swapp.ActiveDoc
      End Sub

Public Function swPart_AddItemNotify(ByVal EntityType As Long, ByVal itemName As String) As Long

Select Case EntityType
                  Case swNotifyConfiguration
                      With swPart
                          Debug.Print "swNotifyConfiguration", itemName

Dim swFace As SldWorks.Face2
                          Set swFace = .GetEntityByName("Blank Face", swSelFACES)
                          swFace.Select4 False, Nothing

'.FeatureManager.EditRollback swMoveRollbackBarToAfterFeature, _
                                                        "Folder1"
                          With .SketchManager
                              .InsertSketch (True)
                              .ActiveSketch.Name = .ActiveSketch.Name & "-" & itemName
                          End With
                      End With

Case swNotifyFeature
                      Debug.Print "swNotifyFeature", itemName, _
                                  swPart.Extension.GetLastFeatureAdded().GetTypeName2
                      'TODO catch when sketch is added
                      '.....
           End Select

End Function

Public Function swPart_DestroyNotify2(ByVal DestroyType As Long) As Long
           Set swPart = Nothing
      End Function

• Re: Insert a sketch for user to edit from event handler
          Rob Edwards

I've managed to get it working   I guessed that it was best not to do anything from within the part event notify directly, so I set up an OnIdleNotify event and called my sub from there.  Happy days for now

Deepak Gupta

Rob, not sure on that mystery but may be you can add a dummy sketch entity and later edit that.

With .SketchManager

.InsertSketch (True)

.CreateCircle 0#, 0#, 0#, 0.003857, -0.009744, 0#

.ActiveSketch.Name = .ActiveSketch.Name & "-" & itemName

.InsertSketch (True)

End With

And for this issue, the sketch gets deleted since there is no entity in it.

It gets added to the tree, but will be deleted if it is again edited

Rob Edwards

Deepak Thanks for looking

but may be you can add a dummy sketch entity and later edit that

That's the exact approach I took when I started this macro   I went as far as to add all the features I needed and then opened the sketch for editing, even deleting the circle before I fell out of the macro.

It worked well for the sketch, but I had a surface trim feature that always failed as a result.  This led me down the route of wanting interaction throughout.

I'm just messing about really and seeing whats possible - it's certainly testing what brain cells I have left

And for this issue, the sketch gets deleted since there is no entity in it

Yes, I was surprised it got added at all, it was quite happy just sitting there.  I guess there were sketch entities in there, but somehow they were transient.

I have quite a bit of work to do for sure, but I'm happy that I have an approach that looks workable.  The last piece of the jigsaw that Im not sure about is how do I go about attaching this macro to the part.  I presume I will have to insert it as a macro feature or is there another way?

Deepak Gupta

Rob Edwards wrote:

The last piece of the jigsaw that I'm not sure about is how do I go about attaching this macro to the part. I presume I will have to insert it as a macro feature or is there another way?

Macro feature would be idle but I would suggest to simply keep it running in background (you can run it with SOLIDWORKS automatically) as I do not have good experience with macro features.