7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 5:14 AM by Elmar Klammer

dwg/dxf thread problem

Diego Sagredo

Good morning.
      The problem is the following:
            - I export a slddrw to DWG in version 2000/2002.
            - Solidworks 2016 exports it without problems, apparently.
            - When opening the exported dwg, everything seems correct. If you move a drill, or a view, autocad changes the metric threads by drills (M5 => Ø5)
      This is very problematic, since my suppliers (CAM, laser, waterjet) use the DWG drawings for the manufacture of parts. This problem causes that all the pieces that I receive are defective.
      I have never had this problem with other versions of solidworks, it only happens to me in my current version (SW 2016 SP.4)
      I have tried to change the export version (R12, R14 ....) but it does not solve the problem
      Is it a SW2016 error or is it a configuration problem?
      A greeting

problema autocad.JPG

Buenos dias.

El problema es el siguiente:

- Exporto un plano a DWG en versión 2000/2002.

- Solidworks 2016 lo exporta sin problemas, aparentemente.

- Al abrir el dwg exportado, todo parece correcto. Si mueves un taladro, o una vista, autocad cambia las rosca metricas por taladros (M5 => Ø5)

Esto es muy problematico, ya que mis proveedores (CAM, laser, waterjet) usan los planos DWG para la fabricación de piezas. Este problema provoca que todas las piezas que recibo son defectuosas.

Nunca habia tenido este problema con otras versiones de solidworks, solo me ocurre en mi actual versión (SW 2016 SP.4)

He intentado cambiar de versión de exportacion (R12, R14....) pero no soluciona el problema

¿Es un error de SW2016 o es un problema de configuración del mismo?

Un saludo

• Re: dwg/dxf thread problem
          Bob Van Dick

Diego,

If these files are flat pieces, why not just export dxf files from the model itself?  I don't know of any CAM packages that can't work with dxf files.  Exporting drawing files could open one up to all kinds of problems....scaling being one of them....

Bob

Elmar Klammer

Hi Diego,

The font type might have something to do with it. Sometimes that happens when the font changes. For what ever reason.

Check the font in your SW file. Then check the font in DWG. I can't guarantee that's the cause but maybe its a start.

Elmar

Diego Sagredo

Hi Elmar.

I export the documents with the option "FONTS: Only autocad Standar". I tryed to resolve the problem, changing this option to "True type fonts" but it didn´t work.

I sended to a partner of mine, with sw 2016, a SLDDRW drawing. He exported this file to a dwg, and this exported drawing has the same problem. Then, it´s problable that the problem of the threads its a configuraton problem.

Thank you for your answer.

A greeting

Elmar Klammer

Hi Diego,

I found this setting to work best for most of our clients.

Troubleshooting steps:

1. Select the note in AutoCAD without moving it and check your Property tab. See if it reads M or Ø
                    2. Make a new drawing from scratch. Export it out and see if you get the same issue.
                    3. Select a different font for the note in the SW drawing.
                    4. Create an additional standard note in SW drawing and export it out. See if that note changes as well.
                    5. If all fails I would add a note that notes can change when drawings are modified in AutoCAD. All dimensions to be checked against the original.

Elmar

Diego Sagredo

Hi Elmar.
                        In the property tab, autocad puts "<>" instead of "M <>", which is what it puts in drawings from previous versions of solidworks.
                        I've done all the steps you've told me, and only the last one is seems to work.
                        Currently I will send my drawings with the box indicating possible DWG problems, but these are only valid as a temporary solution, otherwise, sooner or later I will have defective parts again.
                        Thanks for your attention.
                        A greeting

Elmar Klammer

Hi Diego,

That's a start. First I wouldn't add a note that says "possible DWG problems..". That will only get you into trouble. I would be specific in my description. I would make the note relate to thread callouts only. "All Drawing dimensions as per original CAD file only! Note: Thread callout dimensions can change when moving, copy etc. existing views. Supplier must check all dimensions if modified drawing is used for production."

If you can't fix the original files then I would see if I can automate the dxf output. Do a manual search & replace in AutoCAD and see if it picks up the thread call out. If it does then you can use following link. It has some more info on lisp & search/replace text function.

CAD Forum - How to replace texts in many AutoCAD drawings? (regular expressions)