AnsweredAssumed Answered

SolidWorks Bootcamp and Parallels on Mac

Question asked by Eric Grimes on Dec 28, 2017

I actually spoke with my VAR about this a couple weeks ago and they weren't sure but was curious if anyone has run into this slightly bizarre scenario.  I've got a 2016 MacBook Pro running the latest High Sierra (forget the version) build along with a Bootcamp partition running Windows 10.  I've also emulated the Bootcamp partition inside Parallels Desktop in Mac OS.  Everything runs fine except for the licenses get a little bit strange.

We use a network license and I borrow a license for this system.  I use an external ethernet dongle to borrow the license and did so inside of Parallels running in Mac OS.  All 3 versions that we currently use operate without issue inside of Parallels (2012, 2015 and 2017).  If I reboot into the Bootcamp partition running only Windows 2012 doesn't see the license.  The strange part is 2015 and 2017 run perfectly fine on the Bootcamp side and give the pop-up saying how many days are left until the borrowed license expires.  I know 2012 doesn't do that but it just gives the 'Could not obtain a license for SolidWorks Standard, Server node is down or not responding' error.  If I open the 2012 license manager it shows the license is borrowed for another 5 days.

Of course right now I'm trying to run 2012 and not the others.  Any thoughts on why 2015 and 2017 work fine but 2012 doesn't?  I even tried plugging the ethernet dongle back in and disabling all other network devices thinking maybe it was looking for that MAC address.  I'm not 100% sure how the license borrowing attaches to the system, thought maybe some combination of hardware IDs and MAC address of the ethernet device.

Outcomes