10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2018 3:05 PM by Stavros Smith

Best way to check in an assembly in Solidworks PDM?

Ari Arponen

OK, we just got our pdm up and running. But I am new with Solidworks PDM (Have previous experience from SolidPDM). So if I open an assembly in SW I want to check in into vault, what is the best way to check it in? Or can I just copy and paste it with all parts and drawings into vault via Explorer?

• Re: Best way to check in an assembly in Solidworks PDM?
          Stavros Smith

If you are referring to checking in files already existing in the vault either right click--> Check in  from the vault view or using the PDM add-in in SW.

If you are trying to import files from outside PDM, I would go with pack and go.

Ari Arponen

Stavros Pantelakis kirjoitti:

....If you are trying to import files from outside PDM, I would go with pack and go....

Yes. So it is valid and approved as working method? Great thanks.

Michael Dekoning

If you use Pack and Go, you need to be careful that you do not add duplicate files to your vault. With SOLIDWORKS PDM the local vault view is also the working directory. After migration, you should create new files in the vault, not outside of it.

Paul Wyndham

Only use "Pack and Go" when moving an assembly into the vault. Once the files are in the vault always use the "Copy Tree" or "Move Tree" tools. If you are going to copy something out of the vault use "Copy Tree". If you open a part and drawing I would suggest that you use save as to put them in the vault.

"Pack and Go" and "SolidWorks Explorer" were developed for use with the Windows file system and/or Workgroup PDM. Neither of them should be actively used in a SolidWorks PDM vault. Pack and Go can put files in the vault that might already exist from a different assembly. If you have the vault set to disallow duplicate names you will run into issues when you attempt to check in. In this situation you will need to either rename the files or delete them and redirect the assembly to the appropriate file. If a file with the same name exists in the folder you pack and go into you will need to have that file checked out before you can write to it.

Andy Krol

Paul,

We have exact problem that you've described above and can't find any easy foolproof solutions.

Normally we're working on new designs from a local drive and check in files/assemblies to the PDM Vault when everything is finalized.

The problem presents itself when we try to check in assembly that contains files that already exist in the vault (aka. Same Filename).

Currently we use Pack and Go to move assembly and all referenced part files and drawings to a vault location. Then when we try to check in all the files the problem with duplicate files starts.

We have to manually delete them and point new references. This is very tedious process and prone to mistakes.

With older PDM Enterprise I could simply replace duplicate files, with in vault versions during check in process. But that functionality is non existent in PDM Standard and Professional.

I'm not familiar with "Copy Tree" or "Move Tree" tools that you've described in your response. Can you elaborate on that?

If you know simpler solution to our problem I would love to hear it.