16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 4:48 AM by Pdm Admin

PDM Auto Login

Jacob Harris

Hi Ya'll,

I'm attempting to setup a PDM Standard server and there's a couple of hitch points that I haven't been able to locate answers on.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), you have to use a local windows user account to connect to the database, then input credentials for the actual SQL/PDM system. From reading around, it seems you can bypass needing separate windows user accounts by using the automatic login. This feature can be enabled by accessing the archive configuration. However, I don't seem to have the option to enable the automatic login. I was wondering if I'm missing something basic.

Thanks,

• Re: PDM Auto Login
          Michael Dekoning

It appears that for PDM Standard the only option is to use it's built in authentication. With Professional you can use Windows Login (Active Directory).

Charley Saint

You can try this setting in the admin tool, not sure if it's part of standard or not but you'd have to set it up on each users workstation:

Paul Wyndham

SWPDM Standard does not include the ability to use auto login. Auto log in is included with the Active Directory functionality. I am sure this is due to some type of cost from Microsoft to license the use of Active Directory, but it seems like it would be frustrating on an upgrade to SWPDM Pro as you would have to recreate all the user accounts with their Active Directory one. Unless you can somehow create them using their AD username and then switch later.

Here is what the properties screen you show but from SWPDM Pro instead. Notice the addition of the "Windows Login" radio button and the "Automatic Login" checkbox.

Chris Saller

In PDM Standard, go to Tools/Admin.

auto_login1.JPG

Go to Settings/Auto Login, dropdown to your vault. Select Use automatic login for this vault.

auto_login2.JPG

Jacob Harris

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

So the strange thing that I assumed was due to PDM standard is when I create the file vault with the default settings, it doesn't show up in the location shown in Chris' screenshot.

Pretty much everything is grayed out under the Automatic Login Tab.

Paul Wyndham

Ok, I got a better answer.

This page talks about using automatic login: 2017 SOLIDWORKS PDM Help - Settings Dialog Box - Automatic Login

A note says that it is only available with Windows Login turned on.

This page shows the table of functionality between Standard and Professional: 2016 What's New in SOLIDWORKS - SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard

Active Directory and LDAP are only available in Professional.

Hope that helps.

Jacob Harris

After Sam's question I investigated if it was firewall related and one of the rules were set to "Block All" instead of "Allow All" on a couple of the ports. Thanks a ton for all the help everyone. I finally have a basic framework for our PDM server up and running.

Pdm Admin

Our Vault is set up for auto login on all computers. We use Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. We use PDM Professional.

Since a while, I don't know exactly when, the Windows 10 machines did not auto login PDM any longer.

For now I have set it up by hand in the Administration tool > Settings.

But before this problem it was not necessary to do that.

My machine is Windows 7, and it login PDM automatically, and I have not set it up by hand in the Administration tool.

Do anyone know what the problem is here? Our IT man has reboot the PDM license server and PDM server. But without effect.

Thanks.

Steve Ostrovsky

PDM Standard does not offer the option for Automatic logins. You would normally turn this on globally from the Archive Server Configuration tool (only found on the Archive Server). You can see from my PDM Standard screen shot that the Automatic login section is gone. You only have manual login available with no Active Directory tie in.

Charley Saint

Steve,

Since you've got a Standard vault can you test my solution from above

Steve Ostrovsky

Hope this gets it all...

My PDM Standard is running in a VMWare session with Win7. I have full local admin rights and have a local Vault View installed. Looks like it will work, but I think each and every user will have to go through this step.

I tested the below on an existing vault with local Vault Views. I created a new vault and DIDN'T create a Vault View. That vault did not show in step #2 below. Looks like you have to have local Vault Views created.

1. Double click on Settings

2. Set vault

3. Turn on automatic login and define user

Pdm Admin

Sorry, we use PDM Professional.

So, when we look at the archive server, we see a Automatic login section?

I can't check this by myself, because our system administrator will manages this.

If in the archive server Automatic login is enabled, all PDM computers should login PDM automatically?