11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 4:25 PM by Matthew Lorono

Questions about Sheet Formats, Rulers and Automatic Border tool "?"

Matthew Lorono
      • Back before the days of Automatic Border, users had to sketch in their own drawing borders on their Sheet Formats.  To aid in this effort, Rulers where turned on automatically when entering the Edit Sheet Format mode.  This didn't just help when sketching borders, but also the title block and placing text too.  However, it's been several years since Automatic Border was introduced.  The question I have is, do we need to automatically turn rulers on anymore when you edit your Sheet Format?

• Another question is, for those who using the Edit Sheet Format mode a lot but not actually editing the sketched sheet format elements, why are you entering Edit Sheet Format mode so often?

• Last question, the first step you encounter when launching Automatic Border is the PropertyManager asking you to select sketch entities to delete.  The reason this page of the PropertyManger exists is to help people to quickly convert Sheet Formats that used old sketch borders to ones that have the Automatic Border. Do you feel this page of the PropertyManager for Automatic Border is still useful today?  Have you converted your legacy Sheet Formats?

• Re: Questions about Sheet Formats, Rulers and Automatic Border tool "?"
          Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

- Absolutely not

- Some people place their bom and other table or notes to sheet background

- We don't update our sheet format that often

Dan Pihlaja

Matthew Lorono wrote: (my responses in blue)

• Back before the days of Automatic Border, users had to sketch in their own drawing borders on their Sheet Formats. To aid in this effort, Rulers where turned on automatically when entering the Edit Sheet Format mode. This didn't just help when sketching borders, but also the title block and placing text too. However, it's been several years since Automatic Border was introduced. The question I have is, do we need to automatically turn rulers on anymore when you edit your Sheet Format?
              • I don't like the rulers.  I was using SW 2015 until about a week ago, and I HATED the rulers.  Mainly because there was an issue with them screwing up graphically so much (similar to how the "phantom caret" will appear in sketch drawing notes when editing them [edited: not sketch notes!]).  Now that I have SW 2017, I am not seeing the graphical issues that I was with 2015.  However, since, when drawing a sketch line, or other type of sketch entity, it doesn't snap to the ruler carets, I don't see any use for the ruler at all.  If I want accurate line placement, then I will use a dimension from a point fixed at 0,0 or some such.    However.....I LOVE the automatic borders!!!

• Another question is, for those who using the Edit Sheet Format mode a lot but not actually editing the sketched sheet format elements, why are you entering Edit Sheet Format mode so often?
              • We place notes that are common to the templates on the "edit sheet format" layer.  The reason for this is because they are so easily accidentally deleted by users.  Placing the required notes on the sheet format, makes it difficult to delete.  The user has to really mean it.  So, when a user needs to move a note or something, then they are editing the sheet format.

• Last question, the first step you encounter when launching Automatic Border is the PropertyManager asking you to select sketch entities to delete. The reason this page of the PropertyManger exists is to help people to quickly convert Sheet Formats that used old sketch borders to ones that have the Automatic Border. Do you feel this page of the PropertyManager for Automatic Border is still useful today? Have you converted your legacy Sheet Formats?
              • I used the automatic border for the first time on Monday or Tuesday of this last week (12/19/2017).  I saw this page and wondered what it was for.  Based on https://forum.solidworks.com/message/738037 I remade my templates and sheet formats from scratch.  So I had no legacy sketch items to delete.  So, as far as I am concerned, it can go away.

Britt Kessler

Matthew Lorono wrote:

• The question I have is, do we need to automatically turn rulers on anymore when you edit your Sheet Format? Short answer: No

Similar to Dan's answer, and I need to go into Edit Sheet mode often in order to adjust text field positions / size, or to re-attach fields that for some reason got disconnected from the Property Table.

• Do you feel this page of the PropertyManager for Automatic Border is still useful today? Apparently so, because: Have you converted your legacy Sheet Formats? It looks like we haven't yet. Our drawing templates were set up before I started at the company.