8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2017 5:36 PM by Ken Kobmann

How to add paper size in the #Task task "Sheet Metal Drawing"?

Ken Kobmann

Well, here I am again to play the game "Let's Show the Community How Much You Really Don't Know", and I'll be your host.

So, knowing almost nothing about VBA, Macros, and Coding (Good thing those don't help you in Solidworks) I read a post where Deepak spoke of a software called #Task. I just sat down to spend the time to learn it. We are a company that builds large conveyors, and 80% of what we engineer is sheet metal for conveyors. The first task I tried was the Sheet Metal Drawing task. When is came to the "Paper Size" choices, it gave me 5 choices, A0, A1, A2, A3, and A4. Everything we provide the plant in the way of conveyor drawings is on D size paper. I'm sure I could save it on A4 size paper, then run the task to change the drawing sheet and re scale it, but by then it seems easier to just detail the conveyor out by hand? So is there away to edit the paper size?

As usual, thank you for all the help you give that makes my Boss think I really know what I'm doing.

• Re: How to add paper size in the #Task task "Sheet Metal Drawing"?
          Deepak Gupta

Ken, you should be able to specify the required D size template path but I still think that it picks the one form the list.

May be Artem, ViktorOR Vineet can look into this.

Ken Kobmann

Deepak,

I input the path to where my D size Template is located. Then it asks Paper size 2 rows down. I figured it was like a printer option, what size paper would you like the D templated to be printed on? Since it didn't give you the option to turn off paper size, so that the template size would prevail, I figured it would layout a D size template where ever the margins were set on the paper size in the code. I tried it with an A-1 and it laid the sheet metal out over the outside border of the D template. I was thinking it may center it on the A1, but it places it at the top left hand corner on the D template.

Ken

Ken Kobmann

Maybe the will help better than may explanation. A picture of the blank template and the same template after #Task.

Task2.png

Task1.png

Ken Kobmann

Well Deepak I dug myself in deeper. When I did this:

Task4.png

It completely fixed the alignment issue, but some how it changed my sheet border and title block. That wiped out all of my custom property links except for my revision table, which is now at the top on the border, instead of on top of the title block.

Task3.png

Ken Kobmann

Well, Here is what I have concluded. All the sheets formatting has to be done in Solidwork using a premade template. Our title block was drawn in versus using a premade one. You have to make sure your document origin is set to upper left if you are using A-E letter size sheets. So, no sheet customization outside the title block and border wizard. Here's the finished product.

Task5.png

Deepak Gupta

Thanks Ken for sharing the method you've used. Sorry I was not able to reply earlier.

Ken Kobmann

Deepak, being the macros guru that you are, why does the macro mess with the sheet formatting? Is it because it generates a file name? It's great that it is capable of doing what it does, but why would it change the title block and border? In the macro, would they have written to look for the drawing name property box in the title block, and if it can't be found to insert a title block? I also know it doesn't like blocks. All my sheet formatting is made up of blocks, then added text boxes, and then all filled via custom properties drop down or by a linked excel file.

Ken Kobmann

Just to clarify, I wanted to make sure that everyone knows that any issues I may be having with the #Task product are mine and not the products, when it came to the sheet format being replaced. After messing with it some more I figured out it was the fault of our template. Instead of making a bunch of different sheet formats, we use blocks that we slip in and out of a drawing sheet. We just edit sheet format, slide in a block, take 2 out, and then go at it. But I'm sure to #Task software it simply doesn't see a sheet format and puts one in. I just wanted to clarify that this isn't an issues as long as you are using a drawing template with a sheet format saved in the template. If a table isn't saved with the sheet template, then the table needs to be inserted after. It is a great tool, especially for people who aren't very knowledgeable in VBA/API, such as myself, and I just wanted to make sure that people knew that the issues I was having were simply a lack of knowledge on my part with the #Task product, and not the other way around. It is definitely worth using.

task1.png

Here it is after using a properly formatted template.

I still have one question and one issue I haven't been able to work out. My question is, is there away to not have duplicate parts put onto the drawing? The convex piece on top/middle is used twice in the weldment but is still the same part number, and the same goes true for the piece bottom/right. The 2 identical pieces in the middle are the same blank, but one gets broke uo and the other down, but regardless of the orientation of the part on the left it always shows a hidden break line. In their current view both should be broke up. I copy and pasted the bend note because it didn't import with one. It is a mirrored sheet metal part.

If I should post the last part in a new question please let me know.

Ken