31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 8:09 AM by Paul Oliver

Class not registered error when browsing EPDM server

Adam Swoboda

Hello,

I recently started using Solidworks 2014 and ePDM at my job. Since ePDM has been installed, I get this error every time I open a folder on our file server. I also cannot save to the server but I can open files. I have done a full uninstall and reinstall but same situation. OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Class not registered error when browsing EPDM server
          Jeff Borland

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us a little more detail about your PDM system?  Specifically, what version are you using and also, what add-ins are installed?  It might also be helpful to know the version of the add-ins as well.  More info will help us help you better!

Jeff

Paul Wyndham

I would assume that the client didn't install correctly and try installing it again. Make sure you close everything before installing - to the extent of opening task manager and ending the explorer (after you start the install but before you progress from the first screen). Leave task manager up on the screen so you can start a new task (explorer.exe)

Krishnakumar Kumaravelu

Dear Adam

Can you please make sure Microsoft .NET  properly installed. If it is installed, I would recommend reinstalling.

Paul Oliver

I too am having the same problem, but it has only just started, we have PC's in conference rooms where multiple users can login to PDM, we thought it might be permissions based, as when logging into the PC as an administrator it is fine, then when logging in as a regular user we get the errors "failed to extract add-in from ....CAF", then the class not registered error.

But, moving to another conference room I can login to PDM as a regular user, no errors.

We are getting other users who are now getting this error on their own PC's, again this has only just started, a week ago or so they could open PDM with no problems.

I wonder if there has been a windows update or something which may or corrupted something, or created tighter security issues etc.

We are on 2018, SP3 for PDM, all of the addins are also on 2018 SP3

Tim Webb

Hi Paul,

Sorry you're having this issue. We see this with our customers from time to time so we deploy a batch (.bat) file that kills explorer.exe, edmserver.exe, addinsrv.exe, viewserver.exe, and clears the locally cached plugins folder.

Put the text below into a file on your desktop and name it "clear plugins.bat", and of course, replace the word "YOURVAULTNAME" with the name of your vault.

Tim

Believe in The Q!

Get PDM answers now using our Live Chat!

@echo off

echo Killing process Explorer.exe. . .

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

echo Killing process EdmServer.exe. . .

taskkill /f /im EdmServer.exe

echo Killing process AddInSrv.exe. . .

taskkill /f /im AddInSrv.exe

echo Killing process ViewServer.exe. . .

taskkill /f /im viewserver.exe

cls

pushd "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS PDM\Plugins\YOURVAULTNAME" && (rd /s /q "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS PDM\Plugins\YOURVAULTNAME" 2>nul & popd)

start explorer.exe

exit

Jeff Borland

You know how many times I've had to do that while troubleshooting some of my add-ins?!  And I never even thought to do that with a batch file.  Thanks for giving me that inspiration to simply copy what (I'm pretty sure) you've been doing for years Tim!  Thanks for the idea! 

Specifically related to the Class Not Registered issue, could it also be because the current user is not an administrator on that particular machine?  I'm not sure if that's specifically required or not to register the add-ins.

Tim Webb

Jeff, I'm glad it helped. Yes, I've been using that since 2010.

Correct Jeff. The "Class not registered" is commonly due to the user not being a Power User or above and not being able to register the loaded add-ins upon login. Power User is good enough with most customers we work with so we have negotiated with most IT departments who are willing to concede the Power User role in lieu of granting full Administrator role to users.

My reply was a response to Paul's question about the "failed to extract add-in from...CAF" error was intended to help alleviate that one. That's usually from PDM having too many plugins in the folder and needing to be cleared.

Tim

Get PDM answers now using our Live Chat!

Believe in The Q!

Lee CS Young

If you have more than one add-in using the same references, those references must all be at the same version. So if add-in A and add-in B both have Interop.EdmLib.dll listed in the Files listing in the admin tool, the version of Interop.EdmLib.dll must be the same for both add-ins. I've seen mismatched versions cause this error.

Paul Oliver

All of the Interop.EdmLib.dll versions are the same in all addins

Sam Sam

Hi, everybody,

From everything that I read, I assume that the problem can be related with the local user or installation.

For this reason, I at first would try to enter Windows under other user (if such is) and to check existence of a problem.

Further, I would be reinstall all packets from disk install from the Preregs folder.

It is desirable to check or reinstall EDrawings.

It is possible to try also complete reinstall PDM, at the same time it is desirable to disconnect or delete the last updates of Windows temporarily.

At the same time, about settings of antivir + firewall - I do not even mention, I hope that there all as is necessary, and in case of installations it is better to disconnect them temporarily.

Also, can matter if on the computer there were previous installations of SolidWorks/PDM.

If there is no warranty that they were executed under the same user, it is possible to try to add the current user (with all rights) and to make him the owner of all required directories (maps of programs and vaults).

Paul Oliver

Hi,

It is a bit strange this one.

On certain PC's, users without admin rights cannot login without getting the errors, but on other PC's (With no Admin rights) the same users with no admin rights can login correctly, no errors etc.

We can login as administrators correctly though, but we cannot give everyone admin rights just to fix the login problems, it must go deeper than just permissions.

I have done all of the prereqs, uninstalled and reinstalled PDM Client, disabled antivirus, added exceptions in anti virus.

It is currently with our VAR who are looking into it.

On one of the affected machines (A Windows 10 machine) I uninstalled some of the recent Windows Updates and it started working correctly, able to login without any errors, so I thought I had found the problem, so I then went through on one of the affected Windows 7 machines and did the same, uninstalled all of the recent Windows updates which were installed after the last successful PDM login, nothing worked, same errors popping up etc. on any users login.

Sam Sam

Sometimes the problem managed to be solved having removed a profile of the domain user on the server and having created him anew (if users domain).

If in it there is no experience - better to address the expert.

If users not domain - it is possible to try to create the new local user.

By the way, matters what type of an entrance - it seems in PDM standart an entrance only of SQL (watch settings on the archiving server).

If users have no rights of the administrator (that is very bad), try in properties of all files *.exe (SolidWorks, PDM, EDrawing, to SQL, etc. - to establish start with the rights of the administrator).

Peter Fiorella

We're having the same issue at our site. All affected machines are running Solidworks PDM 2018 on Windows 7. It's absolutely related to a recent Windows Update, I'm just not sure which one yet. I'm in the process of rolling back all recently installed updates and determine which one is the problem.

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

Hi!

Sometimes it's help:

1. Run Administration Tool

2. Expand Add-in branch

3. Double-click on the add-in which generate problem

4. Go to "Files" tab

5. Delete add-in file(s)

6. Add it (them) again (it is very important to add files from your local drive, not from network location!)

7. Restart explorer.

It's been working for me (I had the same issue today).

Best regards

Alek

Paul Oliver

Hi Aleksandra,

ill give it it a try, just want to get PDM up and running correctly again for all users, very frustrating that the update from Microsoft was released withou being fully tested etc.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Oliver

Hi Aleksandra,

Tried this, would not let me add them from the desktop, it kept stating I needed to select a certain file so cancelled out to keep the original files.

Update!!

We have been having problems with users not being able to login to PDM due to an update rolled out by Microsoft.

The Original updates rolled out were KB4338423 and KB4338612

These were uninstalled and replaced via manual install with the new update released 30/07/2018 (KB4346744).

The login problems were still there!!

We have now found out that the update KB4338420 is actually causing the problem for us (Possibly along with the previous two) we uninstalled, restarted, login was successful under normal user conditions.

We reinstalled KB4340556 (Which contains KB4338420) and the login problem was visible again, so we uninstalled again, restarted and login was again successful.

Sam Sam

Hi,

problems with updates of Windows - it is clear, but I am interested other question

all *.exe files - are set up on start with the rights of the administrator?

Or it is not made of reasons of "safety"?

In my opinion, functioning of updates can depend on the rights of the user, and there are cases when increase in these rights is necessary.

It can be checked temporarily having granted the user the rights of the administrator.

If it to be confirmed, I think it is necessary to set up surely start of all *.exe files with the rights of the administrator (besides I always add the current user on the Safety tab for each vault - for me it often solved many problems).

I can approve nothing, but try it simply.

By the way, I faced a problem of copying from desktop - I do not know where there can be these settings, but when copying on a desktop - files can receive attribute - "only for reading" - and depending on the Explore or Windows settings it can create problems.

Therefore on the Desktop it is better to make the Label.

And each user has the Desktop and its settings which perhaps depend on the rights.

Alois Wieser

Hi,

I had the same problem with not registered EPDM addins.

I solved it with uninstalling the Windows security update KB 4338612.

Paul Oliver

These are the updates we have found that can cause the problem:

KB4338420

KB4338417

KB4338423 (This was advised to uninstall by Microsoft)

These are part of the roll up update KB4340556

Other to consider are:

KB4338602

KB4338606

KB4338612 (This was advised to uninstall by Microsoft)

These are part of the roll up update KB4340004

Then install the update KB4346744 manually (This is available from the Microsoft Update catalog)

Thanks

Paul