17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 3:54 PM by Rick Becker

Google Chrome Questions

Glenn Schroeder

I've been hanging on to using Internet Explorer to follow the forum, but in the last week or so it's gotten painfully slow, so I've switched to Chrome (I had to do that some time ago for Pandora, so I already had it installed).  Anyway, now that the background is over, here are my questions:

1.  With Explorer, if I'd click on a file someone had posted it would open a window in Windows Explorer with the file in it.  I could open it from there.  When I do that with Chrome it opens a window also, but wants me to save the file before opening it.  I don't want to save those files, I just want to open them.  Can I get around that?  And if so, please explain, using small words.  Please remember that Chrome is pretty new to me.

2.  It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I'm replying to a Discussion from my Inbox my screen will jump up to the top so I can't see what I'm typing.  That never happened with Explorer.  I seem to remember someone discussing that here a while back (and I think I even replied to it) but I can't find it now.  Any help with this?

• Re: Google Chrome Questions
          Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I've been hanging on to using Internet Explorer to follow the forum, but in the last week or so it's gotten painfully slow, so I've switched to Chrome (I had to do that some time ago for Pandora, so I already had it installed). Anyway, now that the background is over, here are my questions:

1. With Explorer, if I'd click on a file someone had posted it would open a window in Windows Explorer with the file in it. I could open it from there. When I do that with Chrome it opens a window also, but wants me to save the file before opening it. I don't want to save those files, I just want to open them. Can I get around that? And if so, please explain, using small words. Please remember that Chrome is pretty new to me.

2. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I'm replying to a Discussion from my Inbox my screen will jump up to the top so I can't see what I'm typing. That never happened with Explorer. I seem to remember someone discussing that here a while back (and I think I even replied to it) but I can't find it now. Any help with this?

1) With Explorer, it was still saving the file.  It was just saving it to a default location.  There should be a setting in Chrome, in which you can specify a default location for files to go, so you don't see the pop up window.

2) Screen is rolling up when quote someone's message

Glenn Schroeder

Thanks Dan, but let me clarify issue #1.  With Explorer, when I click on a file, a message pops up at the bottom of my monitor asking if I want to open the file, or save it.  I click on Open.  It opens a window containing the file with an address like this:

I can open the file from there.  If I want to make any changes to the file and save it, then I have to pick a location to save it to, but not unless that happens.  With Chrome I don't get a message asking if I want to Open or Save.  It just opens a standard "Save" window, and I can't find a way to open the file without saving it.

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Thanks Dan, but let me clarify issue #1. With Explorer, when I click on a file, a message pops up at the bottom of my monitor asking if I want to open the file, or save it. I click on Open. It opens a window containing the file with an address like this:

I can open the file from there. If I want to make any changes to the file and save it, then I have to pick a location to save it to, but not unless that happens. With Chrome I don't get a message asking if I want to Open or Save. It just opens a standard "Save" window, and I can't find a way to open the file without saving it.

This location in your address bar is on your hard drive....therefore it already saved the file in your temporary internet files.  Explorer knows that you probably want to save it outside of that, so it prompts you.

With Chrome:

Read these:

Google Groups

browser - how to force open links in chrome not download them - Stack Overflow

Rick McDonald

Glenn,

With issue 1, to set the save location in Chrome, click on the 3 dots icon on the top of the Chrome screen

Select Settings

Scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen and select Advanced

Scroll down until you see the Downloads section, then select Change and set your download location.

This is real handy if you want to download videos or items to be in one directory and then switch to download items for another directory.

I download all my videos and support files this way.

Then when you just want to use your download folder you can change the setting to there.

Dustin Perreault

Nicholas Ashforth will be happy to know you're working on his part. But in all seriousness, you cant open a file without saving it somewhere, can you? If you can I am going to feel like quite an idiot.

Glenn Schroeder

Dustin Perreault wrote:

Nicholas Ashforth will be happy to know you're working on his part. But in all seriousness, you cant open a file without saving it somewhere, can you? If you can I am going to feel like quite an idiot.

Dustin,

I don't know all the technicalities.  I suppose maybe it's saved in the Temporary Internet Files folder, as in my screenshot above, but I'm not sure.  I just know that when I was using Internet Explorer, and now since I changed that setting in Chrome, I can open the file without manually saving the file, and when I close that window I never see the file again.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan,

You were right about the settings in Chrome.  I finally dug down far enough to find the option shown below.  It looks like turning it off fixed the issue.  (The screenshot shows it already turned off; it had been on by default, in case anyone else has this issue.)

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Dan,

You were right about the settings in Chrome. I finally dug down far enough to find the option shown below. It looks like turning it off fixed the issue. (The screenshot shows it already turned off; it had been on by default, in case anyone else has this issue.)

LOL, I did reply to your clarification with links on how to change settings to make it like IE.  However, it is still being moderated.  Glad you figured it out.

Dave Bear

Great stuff guys, I've also changed that setting now!

Now if we can only find the solution to the scrolling issue.................

Dave.