11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 9:41 AM by Dan Pihlaja

Is it a bug? Can't dimension slanted slot to center.

Jim Steinmeyer

In the What Minor Bugs Drive You Crazy? It was suggested that we split them up some so the SW people can pay attention to those that they deal with so i will start this new one. This evening as I was dimensioning a part with slanted slots using Ordinate dimensioning I found that when the Hole Wizard slots have center marks in them SW will select the center mark ( or the center of the side not sure which) rather than the center of the slot. See below. Now I can and will place a point in the center as a work around but it would be nice not to have to do that.

Capture.PNG

Interesting, I went back and placed the points and then could not get the slots to take a dimension until I had deleted the center mark. I then dimensioned to the point and replaced the center marks.

• Re: Is it a bug? Can't dimension slanted slot to center.
          Dave Bear

Hi Jim,

This just seems too bizarre to be true! Excuse my ignorance but could this possibly be relative to some weird setting somewhere?

Dave.

Elmar Klammer

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug. Why. Simply because dimensioning to the center of the slot is a measurement that can only be verified with difficulty even if I had a CMM. So in this case I think SW is helping the cause of machinists & QC personal that are forced to use math or other means to verify given drawing dimensions.

A measurement is easy to the edge of each hole or even with some accuracy to the center of one of the arcs. I can also measure in between two slots and the length & width of the slot. If anything I would add a bolt circle to the center of the slots so I have a reference dimension of the true center position. Just to make sure that my slot center align with a 4 bolt flange that needs to fit over the shaft.

Not trying to criticize. I just think that SW should stay focused on more pressing issues.

Elmar

Rick Becker

Elmar Klammer wrote:

...I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug. ...

I would call it a bug.

Try dimensioning a slanted slot using a hole table...

Hole Table - How do I select the radii of a slot?

Not all slots are for a mating component fastener.

Jim Steinmeyer

Elmar Klammer wrote:

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug. Why. Simply because dimensioning to the center of the slot is a measurement that can only be verified with difficulty even if I had a CMM. So in this case I think SW is helping the cause of machinists & QC personal that are forced to use math or other means to verify given drawing dimensions.

A measurement is easy to the edge of each hole or even with some accuracy to the center of one of the arcs. I can also measure in between two slots and the length & width of the slot. If anything I would add a bolt circle to the center of the slots so I have a reference dimension of the true center position. Just to make sure that my slot center align with a 4 bolt flange that needs to fit over the shaft.

Not trying to criticize. I just think that SW should stay focused on more pressing issues.

Elmar

Elmar,

You are correct in the difficulty of measuring the center of a slot. But I would argue that it is no more difficult than measuring to the center of a hole or arc unless the slot is curved. To my thinking, which may be wrong, more dimensions would be required to dimension to the slot edges and the dimensions would have to be to a rounded edge which in it's self can be difficult to determine. Further more in a case like this this part will be cut with a CNC plasma and hand layout would more limited to verification of location.

Dan Pihlaja

I agree Elmar.   Dimensioning the center point of a slot is asking for trouble.

What are the requirements for the slot?  I find it hard to believe that the center point of the slot is the most important aspect of it.  If it were, then a circle would work just as well.

Is it for adjustment?  Then dimension the limits of the slot give its width and you will accomplish your goal.

Is it to take up assembly stack up?  If that is the case, you might be (not always) better off using an oversize hole and a washer set.

Jim Steinmeyer

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

I agree Elmar. Dimensioning the center point of a slot is asking for trouble.

What are the requirements for the slot? I find it hard to believe that the center point of the slot is the most important aspect of it. If it were, then a circle would work just as well.

Is it for adjustment? Then dimension the limits of the slot give its width and you will accomplish your goal.

Is it to take up assembly stack up? If that is the case, you might be (not always) better off using an oversize hole and a washer set.

Is dimensioning to the center of a slot any different than to the center of a hole in this regard?  In finishing this drawing I would give the angle from horizontal and slot size which would give the slot limits.

Dan Pihlaja

Yes, but now the people involved have to FIND the center of that slot on the real part.  That is some extra work for something that may not actually need to be done.  Does the center of the slot actually even matter for the purpose for which it was made?

Do not make the mistake of doing the easy thing and tossing it over the wall for the rest of the people in line to take on the project to deal with.

(please don't take offense at this, I mean well!!)

Todd Waldroup

The issue appears to be with adding a dimension to the center mark that is not parallel to the ordinate dimension. I suggest changing the document property for centerlines/center marks to "orient to sheet".

Todd

Steve Calvert

Jim, I was able to select each of the four centermarks and make them 0 deg instead of what they came in as (45 deg) and then added them to the ordinate dimensions.  I'm on SW2015 BTW)

Steve C