32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2019 6:30 AM by Niklas Johansson

save as pdf not working

Charles Isaac-Samuel

Hi folks,

For some reason, my Save As PDF doesn't do anything. It accepts my input and lets me change my file name and such and navigate to a directory, and then I click OK. Then nothing is output to the directory.....:/

Solidworks 2018 on Windows 10 Pro.

• Re: save as pdf not working
          Glenn Schroeder

Try printing to pdf instead.  See #7 at Frequently Asked Forum Questions.

Charles Isaac-Samuel

Printing to pdf works well enough. I did like the expedience of saving to pdf though. At first the print to pdf defaulted to a portrait 8.5x11 and so ya gotta change that and what not. I suppose it works as a solution, but I guess Save As pdf is broken until further notice for me.

Peter Bessey

Printing to PDF by other means, generally involves a raster-based PDF document, which has the same type of problem as .JPEG when trying to zoom-in to critical areas. So that's not a good solution in many cases. A vector-based PDF system, which seems to be the kind previously offered by SWks, is what is needed for good clarity and line quality at any magnification.

Judging by comments online, this seems to be an issue which has occurred with previous releases. So why on earth is it still turning up now with 2018 SP4.0?

Glenn Schroeder

Peter Bessey wrote:

Printing to PDF by other means, generally involves a raster-based PDF document, which has the same type of problem as .JPEG when trying to zoom-in to critical areas. So that's not a good solution in many cases. A vector-based PDF system, which seems to be the kind previously offered by SWks, is what is needed for good clarity and line quality at any magnification.

Judging by comments online, this seems to be an issue which has occurred with previous releases. So why on earth is it still turning up now with 2018 SP4.0?

I can't answer that.  It was fairly common for me 7-8 years ago, but I can't remember the last time.  It's probably been years.

Dan Pihlaja

Are you sure that you have right write access to the directory in question?

Also try rebooting.   This has happened to me before and rebooting solved the issue.

Charles Isaac-Samuel

Thanks for the response. I do have write access to the folder as I have the part and drawing files saved in it just a moment ago. I did restart this morning, and it did happen to me yesterday also.

Jerry Plyer

Has anyone resolved this issue?

I have a co worker with the same problem.

Charles Isaac-Samuel

Hmmm, I don't know specifically what I did to resolve the issue, but I'm currently on SW2018 SP3 and I got the functionality back. I think I had it back at the beginning of 2018 SP1 though. I also have Adobe Acrobat installed, but I don't think that should matter.

Some months back, I had reset all my preferences to default as well, but that was after I was able to save to pdf....

Rob Antonides

I was having this issue after upgrading Solidworks 2017 to 2018 SP5. Doing this also caused printing to break and not work.

Through debugging I eventually re-installed 2018 SP3 from scratch. This fixed printing but not the 'Save To PDF' issue.

So I opened up a .SPDPRT of the drawing I was trying to get into PDF format before. I tried to SAVE TO 3D PDF, option for the part. First time it didn't work. Second time it crashed solidworks. Upon restarting solidworks both SAVE TO 3D PDF worked as well as regular SAVE TO PDF.

I can't tell you why this happened or why this fixed it for me, but that was my process.

Myles Crowder

Just been through this issue too (on SW2018 sp4, then sp5).

Go to Options > Add-ins and uncheck everything.

Restart SW and try saving to PDF. Hopefully this should be possible again (it was for me).

I've then gone back and checked the add-ins I want and saving to PDF is still working.

Must be some weird combination of options and one of the demons inside the magic box of calculation having a hissy fit...

Alfons Schure

I have the same problem. Restarting Solidworks always works to solve it for a short while, but the problem keeps comming up. (SW 2019). Is there any real solution found?

Myles Crowder

Alfons, disabling the add-ins seems to work well. they can be restored after a reboot and the problem seems to stay away.

Your VAR might suggest removing Microsoft PDF printer from your system, but I don't think that's the real issue.

I have not had the problem since I posted the message in November.

Hope this helps

Peter Bessey

I tried various options, like re-launching Swks, re-booting the PC, etc. But nothing I tried resolved the issue with 'save to PDF' not producing anything.

On approaching my VAR support people, they suggested things which did not work either. Then on of the support people did a remote take-over of my desktop and looked hard at settings files in my system, for my Solidworks usage.

What turned out to be an issue, were my 'old' settings, brought over from the previous Swks version, using the Settings Wizard.

It seems that 2018 does not like to use previous settings at all. So by deleting that file and re-setting my usage to what I wanted, manually, then permitted 'save to PDF' to work once again. Those settings included Add-ons too. Whether they, or some other item in the settings file were the root cause of PDF failure, isn't clear. But this did put things right.

However, since doing that, I have found that a protracted use of Solidworks, or multiple PDF saves in one session,  may cause the save to PDF function to cease working temporarily. But a re-launch of Solidworks then seems to clear the problem, once again. But it does mean that the work-around is still not a perfect answer.

I guess that the Swks developers really need to look at this issue in more detail and resolve it for good.

Matt Peneguy

This is exactly the type of weirdness that people using seem to have when moving from versions of SW using Copy Settings Wizard.  Please make darn sure that your VAR sends your Copy Settings Wizard file off to the people at Dassault to fix this. 

Peter Bessey

Sadly I believe that it is the 'differences' between versions which create the problem. It seems as though the next version will not 'see' the instructions taken from the previous one, in an appropriate manner, so some functionality will not work as intended. The situation might be OK with Service Packs of the same 'version', but not between different upgrade 'versions'.

The Settings Wizard thus has limited actual use, in the scheme of things. But there seems to be little warning information about this.

It appears that the settings file, has similar limitations as a native CAD file itself, when trying to launch it with different versions. Not full backward or forward compatibility. When a new version has significant differences between it and its predecessor, the settings file can't carry the instructions over accurately.

Matt Peneguy

SW intends Copy Settings Wizard to work between versions.  I was set straight on this by I believe Matthew Lorono in another thread.  His advice was to send the files to the VAR and instruct them to send it on to DS to be fixed (Sorry if it wasn't you Matthew, but the I thought it was).  Hence, my recommendation to you.  You have found what appears to be one of these problems that needs to be fixed.  DS is probably not even aware of this particular issue.  If they are made aware, they can fix it...If they aren't made aware, there is a close to 0% probability it gets fixed.

Myles Crowder

Having spent a lot of years in contract design, I have got into the habit of never copying settings between versions. Each major release, I set pathways and preferences manually. I still had this happen.

What conclusion might be drawn from this?

SW can be a bit flaky... and that's about it.

Looks as though this is an inherent problem, but one with multiple triggers.

Whatever fix works will be the workaround, ad infinitum.

Peter Bessey

I attended an all day seminar on Solidworks 2019 with our VAR people yesterday and raised this issue with their tech manager during the discussions.

He advised that his belief is that the problem stems from an occurrence of incorrect file location pathways in Swks settings and that when these are put right, the issues will disappear.

Personally, I'm not entirely convinced about this, since my experience shows that the non-save PDF problem can resolve and then revert back again, during single sessions of using Swks in 2018 SP4, which a re-launch of Swks will fix. So, in my opinion, those file locations cannot be the only factor involved in this.

He also advised that 2019 SP02 is now available (although on checking just now - it is only an early visibility option at present) and suggested that this SP should be the one to go for, if waiting to update at this point.

I'll probably wait until the 'final' SP02 release is commonly available and then go for that, with a clean install. Whether I try to use the Settings Wizard again, I shall consider meanwhile! If anything new arises from that, I'll repost one more.

Ian Drabik-Hamshare

I've been experiencing PDF issues since Monday 4th March. Two things occurred over the weekend prior to that day, our IT dept. carried out an update to all our PCs and the 3D SpaceMouse from 3DConnexion released an Application update. On that day whenever I attempted to open PDF files I received a parsing error, but I was also unable to 'Save As' pdf. I know there is a workaround to print PDF files but this does not allow you to create 3D PDF files, which are useful to send out to show parts or assemblies. After 3 weeks of IT working on this without success and contact with 3DConnexion I was finally able to 'Save As' PDF today. This was achieved by going to 'Add-Ins' and un-selecting the 3Dcontrol from 3DConnexion.

Matt Peneguy

Ian Drabik-Hamshare wrote:

I've been experiencing PDF issues since Monday 4th March. Two things occurred over the weekend prior to that day, our IT dept. carried out an update to all our PCs and the 3D SpaceMouse from 3DConnexion released an Application update. On that day whenever I attempted to open PDF files I received a parsing error, but I was also unable to 'Save As' pdf. I know there is a workaround to print PDF files but this does not allow you to create 3D PDF files, which are useful to send out to show parts or assemblies. After 3 weeks of IT working on this without success and contact with 3DConnexion I was finally able to 'Save As' PDF today. This was achieved by going to 'Add-Ins' and un-selecting the 3Dcontrol from 3DConnexion.

Did the 3DConnexion people have a date for when they will be fixing this issue?  I haven't updated that software in a while. But, not being able to save as PDF is a deal breaker for me. So much so, that I'd forgo the 3D mouse, and that's saying something.

Niklas Johansson

Hi,

I have seen an increasing amount of reports about this kind of issue: "File > Save as > *.PDF" doesn't do anything and doesn't produce PDF file and no error message appears.

According to my experience this issue is resolved by disabling the startup of "SOLIDWORKS CAM" add-in in "Tools > Add-Ins".

"SOLIDWORKS CAM" add-in needs to be disabled completely so that it won't startup. Just deactivating the add-in in current SOLIDWORKS session hasn't fixed the issue.

I still haven't found any SPR about this. And this doesn't seem to be a general issue. For example, I can produce PDF files normally when "SOLIDWORKS CAM" add-in is active.